Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Did the VSP Requirements change?

  1. #1
    Regular Member bbMurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    61

    Did the VSP Requirements change?

    It used to be that the VSP web page on the application for a CHP were very explicit regarding the legal requirements for such. They now have this disclaimer:

    "It is suggested that the applicant check with the Circuit Court where they reside for any local procedures. Questions specific to completion of the application, residency, or acceptable proof of handgun competency should be directed to the court."

    Bold and Italic are my emphasis.

    Fairfax County states that they require the following to complete the application:

    One (1) additional copy of the completed application.
    A self-addressed stamped envelope.
    Two (2) copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5.)


    So I guess the extra copies and SASE are no longer extra-legal requirements. Bummer.

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by bbMurphy View Post
    It used to be that the VSP web page on the application for a CHP were very explicit regarding the legal requirements for such. They now have this disclaimer:

    "It is suggested that the applicant check with the Circuit Court where they reside for any local procedures. Questions specific to completion of the application, residency, or acceptable proof of handgun competency should be directed to the court."

    Bold and Italic are my emphasis.

    Fairfax County states that they require the following to complete the application:

    One (1) additional copy of the completed application.
    A self-addressed stamped envelope.
    Two (2) copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5.)


    So I guess the extra copies and SASE are no longer extra-legal requirements. Bummer.
    No laws have changed. If they were extra-legal last week, they are still extra-legal this week.

    TFred

  3. #3
    Regular Member bbMurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    No laws have changed. If they were extra-legal last week, they are still extra-legal this week.

    TFred

    I didn't ask about laws. I asked about requirements. The VSP web page used to state that their checklist was the only requirement for obtaining a CHP. Now they have the caveat to check with the local Circuit Court to see if there are any local procedures.

  4. #4
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by bbMurphy View Post
    I didn't ask about laws. I asked about requirements. The VSP web page used to state that their checklist was the only requirement for obtaining a CHP. Now they have the caveat to check with the local Circuit Court to see if there are any local procedures.
    But when you use the term "extra-legal," you are asking about laws. That's what extra-legal means, "beyond the authority of law".

    TFred

  5. #5
    Regular Member bbMurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    61
    Ok. You're correct with the use of 'extralegal'. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term. In any case, the VSP page appears to indicate that individual circuit courts may establish their own additional requirements. This could cause headaches all around. Any idea on when this changed?

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by bbMurphy View Post
    Ok. You're correct with the use of 'extralegal'. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term. In any case, the VSP page appears to indicate that individual circuit courts may establish their own additional requirements. This could cause headaches all around. Any idea on when this changed?
    Doesn't make any difference why VSP is waffling - point is their information is erroneous.

    The individual circuit courts may not have individual requirements. Such would be extralegal because it would be contrary to black letter law.

    https://vacode.org/18.2-308/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •