• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Royal City, WA questions?

Wstar425

Wife has applied for a job in Royal City, Washington as the School District Administrator. It's southwest of Moses Lake maybe 45 miles? I've been through there, down to Yakima and hauled produce out of the area, but I don't think I've actually ever been to Royal City.

Not much on the web, looks like a farming community, shows school 88 percent Hispanic. Wife is a fluent Spanish speaker, so suspect might be part of what interests them about her. I'm up for an adventure, if it comes to that. No kids at home, parents are getting up there. She thinks she is interested.

What can you tell me about the area? Winters look to be quite a bit more mild than Northern Wisconsin.

One other question: what is the WA state law on open carry into financial institutes? We can here as long as they don't slap up the gun buster sign, about 50/50 in rural communities. Probably a lot higher in urban areas.

Anyone been there? I'm thinking maybe dusty cow town, which would not automatically disqualify it.

Edit: map show pretty much irrigated crop circles.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
No law about not carrying in a bank in WA. One of my banks has a BIG sign saying no hoodies, ball caps, or sunglasses, but welcome my 1911. :) Although I've heard some banks that prohibit guns at the local level. You are not breaking any law, but if they ask you to leave you have to go or be in violation of trespassing. My banks in my area (Olympia) Wells Fargo, and Chase have no issue with my carry. Check the stickies at the top for prohibited areas. Courts, bars (over 21 only areas) are the main places. Getting a CPL in WA is very easy. Allows you to get in your car without unloading. WA for the most part is pretty gun friendly, but just like anywhere you can find the antis.

solus

the crop circles are a big part of the culture in that part of the evergreen state.

nice country tho...

ipse

mnrobitaille

Wife has applied for a job in Royal City, Washington as the School District Administrator. It's southwest of Moses Lake maybe 45 miles? I've been through there, down to Yakima and hauled produce out of the area, but I don't think I've actually ever been to Royal City.

Not much on the web, looks like a farming community, shows school 88 percent Hispanic. Wife is a fluent Spanish speaker, so suspect might be part of what interests them about her. I'm up for an adventure, if it comes to that. No kids at home, parents are getting up there. She thinks she is interested.

What can you tell me about the area? Winters look to be quite a bit more mild than Northern Wisconsin.

One other question: what is the WA state law on open carry into financial institutes? We can here as long as they don't slap up the gun buster sign, about 50/50 in rural communities. Probably a lot higher in urban areas.

Anyone been there? I'm thinking maybe dusty cow town, which would not automatically disqualify it.

Edit: map show pretty much irrigated crop circles.

Welcome to the Home of the Knights (expect to go to a lot of football games, as the High School Varsity team is in playoffs year after year). As was said earlier, there is no rules against carrying into banks/credit unions, just only if asked to leave you should or get a trespass against you.

The "Gun-Free/Weapon-Free Zone" signs in Washington State have no weight of law against them compared to states like Texas. I've open carried into Wells Fargo before in Kennewick & actually got a thumbs-up from the Armored Car Personnel that were present at the time.

Royal City is a rural community, so for your big main shopping trips, you'll have to travel to Moses Lake for big ticket items or to have some variety of shopping options. More about Royal City can be found at: Royal City Municipal Website.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is a lot to like from what I see in Royal City. The demographics look great. Would rather retire there than in the typical snow bird territory.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Darn it - they have a traffic light.......forget it.

Well still........maybe, 'cause I love high school football and ought to be lots of places to shoot.
Bad turn of phrase. Could be taken the wrong way.

Of the states I have lived in, I prefer Washington over most.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Wstar425

Welcome to the Home of the Knights (expect to go to a lot of football games, as the High School Varsity team is in playoffs year after year). As was said earlier, there is no rules against carrying into banks/credit unions, just only if asked to leave you should or get a trespass against you.

The "Gun-Free/Weapon-Free Zone" signs in Washington State have no weight of law against them compared to states like Texas. I've open carried into Wells Fargo before in Kennewick & actually got a thumbs-up from the Armored Car Personnel that were present at the time.

Royal City is a rural community, so for your big main shopping trips, you'll have to travel to Moses Lake for big ticket items or to have some variety of shopping options. More about Royal City can be found at: Royal City Municipal Website.

Thanks everyone,

I see they've had Championship Football teams in the past. I've been to that site already. Wife looking for something warmer. I gave her a list of places I'd move to, Eastern WA on the list. The headhunter has background checked her and is planning to give her name to the board as a top tier candidate. That gets looked at on 3/2 I think. Long ways to go yet. Just doing some preliminary research.

I can't see that there is a motel in Royal City? We would plan to rent, plus we have a German Shepherd, which might make it tricky. I don't know if a commute from Moses Lake is practical? Wife said giving up dog is non negotiable, she's never said that about me......

Weather has been in 30-40's while ours is more like 0-/20 below. We both grew up on dairy farms, like small towns. This might be a little too small and remote. Looks like 33 miles to Moses Lake, which isn't much out west tho. She is going to be in Albuquerque visiting out daughter when this goes down, so logistics could get interesting.

She can retire with her WRS pension of $60K a year and keep that if she goes out of state, so that is part of the attraction. I can get a job anywhere as a truck driver. Or, just retire or find something seasonal.

It looks like WA and WI gun laws are pretty similar. We have no permit OC, permit CC. Schools, jails, police stations, courthouses and such off limits. Signs DO carry weight of law here. (I think) We can carry into airports up to the checkpoint, CC into bars if not drinking, OC into bars with owner's permission, and OC at polling places. I've done all of that. The School District Administrator COULD hire me as security for $1.00 a year, which would allow me to carry a firearm on school grounds, but no luck on that yet. Or in the future. Can't have everything I guess.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
Darn it - they have a traffic light.......forget it.

Well still........maybe, 'cause I love high school football and ought to be lots of places to shoot.
Bad turn of phrase. Could be taken the wrong way.

Of the states I have lived in, I prefer Washington over most.
Nice catch. Fixed it - post #7

mnrobitaille

When it comes to carrying & bars in Washington State, if designated as No minors/Over 21 Only, you are not allowed to carry there. You can carry in restaurants (Applebee's, Red Robin, etc.) that have alcohol service, but must stay outside of the bar. (RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places—Local laws & ordinances—Exceptions—Penalty

Concerning motels in Royal City, the closest one I can think of would be MarDon Resort

The picture shown in post 6 was not of Royal City as there are not yet any traffic lights there. (the closest traffic lights can be found in Othello or Moses Lake or Ellensburg).

Thanks everyone,

I see they've had Championship Football teams in the past. I've been to that site already. Wife looking for something warmer. I gave her a list of places I'd move to, Eastern WA on the list. The headhunter has background checked her and is planning to give her name to the board as a top tier candidate. That gets looked at on 3/2 I think. Long ways to go yet. Just doing some preliminary research.

I can't see that there is a motel in Royal City? We would plan to rent, plus we have a German Shepherd, which might make it tricky. I don't know if a commute from Moses Lake is practical? Wife said giving up dog is non negotiable, she's never said that about me......

Weather has been in 30-40's while ours is more like 0-/20 below. We both grew up on dairy farms, like small towns. This might be a little too small and remote. Looks like 33 miles to Moses Lake, which isn't much out west tho. She is going to be in Albuquerque visiting out daughter when this goes down, so logistics could get interesting.

She can retire with her WRS pension of $60K a year and keep that if she goes out of state, so that is part of the attraction. I can get a job anywhere as a truck driver. Or, just retire or find something seasonal.

It looks like WA and WI gun laws are pretty similar. We have no permit OC, permit CC. Schools, jails, police stations, courthouses and such off limits. Signs DO carry weight of law here. (I think) We can carry into airports up to the checkpoint, CC into bars if not drinking, OC into bars with owner's permission, and OC at polling places. I've done all of that. The School District Administrator COULD hire me as security for $1.00 a year, which would allow me to carry a firearm on school grounds, but no luck on that yet. Or in the future. Can't have everything I guess.

Last edited:

mnrobitaille

Moses Lake has Walmart, Lowes, & a few other larger named stores. Othello (which is about 28 miles away) has Walmart, AutoZone, & O'Reilly Auto Parts for the big name stores. If I remember right there's one grocery store in Royal City with several convenience stores available (but then last time I actually traveled to Royal City was back in 1999, otherwise I just am passing through on State Highway 26).

Wstar425

I don't really do bars, and drink NO alcoholic beverages. However, almost everything outside of fast food is a bar in Wisconsin! In the winter I snowshoe with my dog across the lake, stop at a bar (Twin Bay, anyone been there?) for hot chocolate or hot apple cider, then go home. Open carry or concealed if really cold weather. But, owner knows. We have a few owned by ex Illinois residents, so just conceal there or don't go.

I didn't mean to make it sound so much like I am drinking and carrying, just tried to list the places that are generally an issue. Not so much here, which I like, even if I don't take advantage of them.

Wife has an interview on the 23rd and one for a Human Resources job at a large school on the 10th. That would not be her first choice, so kind of nice it is the last one.

When we moved to Rhinelander, WI in 1984 there was one stop light in town. Now, probably 20. Time to move further out, since she says Alaska is out of the question.........

Wstar425

Moses Lake has Walmart, Lowes, & a few other larger named stores. Othello (which is about 28 miles away) has Walmart, AutoZone, & O'Reilly Auto Parts for the big name stores. If I remember right there's one grocery store in Royal City with several convenience stores available (but then last time I actually traveled to Royal City was back in 1999, otherwise I just am passing through on State Highway 26).

I've been over most of Washington, but not much east of 395. Used to deliver Johnsonville brats to Blaine, WA for the cruise ships. Went 2 over Stevens to miss Seattle Sunday traffic a lot, and a few times in the winter when I shouldn't have! Worth the hassle for the scenery. If I recall it was 18 miles shorter from Spokane that on I-90, but probably took 4 hours longer with the truck. Hauled lots of apples out of Wenatchee and would just come back on US 2 to get there. Beautiful up there! But, easy to get yourself in a jam in bad weather. We have bad weather, snow and cold in Wisconsin, but we don't have to worry about sliding backwards off a mountain!

Looks like the school is on the north end of town? I can see 4 ball diamonds, but only one finished. Not sure of date of satellite pic. It is supposed to be a growing community.

Last edited:

Wstar425

I think our record in N. Wisconsin is something like 54 days in a row never getting above freezing, and 11 days in a row never getting above zero degrees for a high. When the high for 11 days is -5, that's pretty brutal! We get upwards of 5-6 feet of snow.

Royal City looks pretty dry. I'm thinking high plains desert, nothing grows without watering it, thus the irrigation circles. Normally, not too many mosquitos, unlike here where it is our State Bird.

Since I grew up on a farm, I could do farming, but competing with migrant labor. Trucking is getting almost as bad, but overseas labor. I wouldn't really need to work, I'm thinking a part time job selling stuff at a gun shop, dog walking, and keeping the honey happy!

deanf

I wouldn't recommend relocating to Washington. It's run by statist-progressives, who's cold slimy tentacles reach into even the smallest, most rural communities in the state.

Wstar425

I wouldn't recommend relocating to Washington. It's run by statist-progressives, who's cold slimy tentacles reach into even the smallest, most rural communities in the state.

For that to carry much (any) weight with me, I would need to know in which state you live, and some background on why you feel this way.

I'm under the possibly mistake impression Seattle area is ultra liberal, while Spokane is quite a bit more conservative. Small town Royal City is about 2/3 west part of state, closer to Spokane.

We have the same thing here, Madison politics tries to drive the rest of the state, but small northern burgs resist for the most part, to the best of their abilities. When the big city types get out of the street lights and into the shadows of the pine trees, they start to get nervous. Protect the wolves at all cost, as long as there aren't any wolves within 50 miles of me; or eating my dog. That sort of thing.

I guess I could search your cords. Please expound.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes