• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida resident, Mailing a handgun to myself in Las vegas?

Raventai

I won't try to open carry on the strip or really any dense public space, just not to my taste especially as a tourist, we will be taking a side trip to the grand canyon that seams more appropriate OC for my sensibilities, in AZ I am good to go, my cc liscence is good there, but I don't even need it there. Constitutional carry :lol:

swinokur

Activist Member
Yes but the statute says you can ship or receive a firearm as a licensed collector. No mention of only C&R firearms or antiques only.

IANAL so don't take this as legal advice. it's not.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ok I will toss this out as something I heard but have not tried or confirmed. Perhaps you can research it further. It is possible to ship handgun to an ffl in another state via fedex having made arrangements for the ffl to hold the unopened package for you until you arrive. Allegedly it meets the atf shipping requirements but wouldn't require transfer paper work.
Good luck with that side step.

If I were an FFL (I'm not) and got a request from someone unknown to me to act as a drop point for their personal packages, I would either tell you to pound sand or ignore you.

If you were an acquaintance or friend, I would tell you I don't do business that way.

Want a more official answer? Ask BATFE.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

If I were an FFL (I'm not) and got a request from someone unknown to me to act as a drop point for their personal packages, I would either tell you to pound sand or ignore you.

If you were an acquaintance or friend, I would tell you I don't do business that way.

Perhaps you can explain why you call it a side step?

Are you so comfortable with draconian anti-2A laws that even a legal means of shipping a gun to yourself feels too much like freedom not to be unsettling?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Perhaps you can explain why you call it a side step?

Are you so comfortable with draconian anti-2A laws that even a legal means of shipping a gun to yourself feels too much like freedom not to be unsettling?

Hmmm - will have to amend my thinking.

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out of State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

Today is already a good day - I learned something new.

solus

Ok I will toss this out as something I heard but have not tried or confirmed. Perhaps you can research it further. It is possible to ship handgun to an ffl in another state via fedex having made arrangements for the ffl to hold the unopened package for you until you arrive. Allegedly it meets the atf shipping requirements but wouldn't require transfer paper work.

two what you propose is viable, but would require careful coordination and the receiving FFL agreeing they are receiving your firearm for 'servicing' cleaning etc.

i agree w/grape tho, i do not believe a reputable FFL would agree to such an arrangement w/o prior knowledge and rapport with the individual sending the firearm. additionally, there should be something of interest in the area, hunting, competition etc.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download there is the ATF's reference manual...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

swinokur, quit will ya, you are muddling the waters with random bovine crap.

a C&R, Dealer, gunsmith, importer, and manufacturer are all governed by specific ATF criteria and again here is their reference book:
https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download

quote specifics instead of 'i thinks'

thanks

ipse

swinokur

Activist Member
The conflict as I see it is BATFE says it's ok to ship to yourself. Both the UPS and Fed Ex policy omit that part.

I don't know if it's significant or not but words mean something.

was it omitted for a reason?

some folks around here need to improve their manners IMO.

Thy specifics are that both FED EX and UPS omit any wording about shipping to yourself. Is that specific enough?.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The law allows some things that you may not actually be able to do. You can ship to yourself with contract carrier, but THEY are a private business and are not required to do business with you. They are a contract carrier, and you are [supposedly] following the contract that you make with them.

You are legally required to inform them if the package contains a firearm, but I do not know what the penalty is for "forgetting" to do that.

swinokur

Activist Member
exactly. If you do "forget" and the package is lost, good luck on filing a claim.

[h=1]27 C.F.R. § 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.
Title 27 - Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms[/h]

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
Subpart C—Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

Browse Previous | Browse Next

[h=5]§ 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.[/h] (a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.
(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
(c) No common or contract carrier shall transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of any provision of this part: Provided, however, That the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply in respect to the transportation of firearms or ammunition in in-bond shipment under Customs laws and regulations.
(d) No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm: Provided, That this paragraph shall not apply with respect to the return of a firearm to a passenger who places firearms in the carrier's custody for the duration of the trip.
[33 FR 18555, Dec. 14, 1968. Redesignated at 40 FR 16385, Apr. 15, 1975, and amended by T.D. ATF–354, 59 FR 7112, Feb. 14, 1994; T.D. ATF–361, 60 FR 10786, Feb. 27, 1995]

solus

of course, swinokur, they would have that wording in their policy guidance as they are following federal mandates 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31.

ipse

here is what the ATF says you may do...

(B6) May a nonlicensee mail a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
snipped
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
snipped
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download

ipse

exactly. If you do "forget" and the package is lost, good luck on filing a claim.
478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

truly...

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Now, unlike a contract carrier, the USPS is required to do all mailing that is legal.

Normally, the law requires that firearms must be received by an FFL when mailing interstate. I might wager that it is legal to mail to yourself using the USPS, but this is with a heavy caveat that you may not be able to convince the postmaster that it is legal. I had a hard enough time convincing a local postmaster that it was perfectly legal for me to mail a rifle to an FFL. They are that ignorant of their own rules. She was also ignorant of the difference between a handgun and a long gun. She put her rule book on the counter, and in five minutes in a book I've never seen before I was able to find and prove her rule, and THEN had to educate her on the difference between a handgun and rifle.

The other problem is the delivery. It's easy when visiting a friend and you are using their address. I've done this for mailing a rifle to myself in advance of a hunting trip. I think my buddy opened it before I got there, though. "Shame on him!"

But the USPS can only mail handguns that are both sent and received by FFLs. I believe that the law which states this implies that it's not being mailed to yourself, but without clear instructions, I doubt it's actually going to happen.

Raventai

for lack of a better way I wound up bringing my .357 and .380 in checked luggage on the aircraft. I made all my flights and was able to meet my bag as it rolled off the carousel. no issues.

had a great time in Vegas. its like an adult Disneyland