• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Gew98 for 100th Anniversary Battle of Verdun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hun Helmet

Time is short so I did not introduce myself in the forum for that and I will be researching my own questions but want to throw this out here meantime as my event in Sunday at 1:00 PM.

First of all I am a huge history buff or loon depending on how you view this. My main interest is military history because as I say the history of mankind is basically military history. I have a special interest in WWI, for some reason.

Back in 2014 I got into my German kit, and along with my rifle and a Prussian Flag I marched with the colors from Idaho across the river to WA and back. About a 4 mile trek. The occasion was the 100th Anniversary of the German Invasion of France and Belgium 4th Aug. 1914. Before I left I called both Police agencies on each side of the river. Idaho simply said great thanks for letting us know. WA pressed me for my personal info that led to a little annoyance on my part because I don't give out info to anyone in any government agency unless I need to and I was not asking the lady on the phone for her details. At any rate I did not see so much as one cop car case me on my rout. I did not cause any alarm and I was wearing a soft cap as the German Steel helmet was not yet invented in 1914.

Fast forward I plan the same march Sunday 21st Feb, these are remembrance walks and this one is in remembrance of the Battle of Verdun. When people see me they might remember and I am very vocal about what I am doing and why if asked otherwise I do not engage anyone about my march. It's mostly for me and anyone who knows and cares.

I asked about open carry on a Face Book page and someone said crossing bridges while armed may be illegal. Then the thread was deleted so no follow up on that. Does anyone think I need to worry about that or was he just mis informed? I cannot find anything via google on that.

I hope not to cause any alarm but with the Steel helmet those who are historically challenged may think it's a Nazi Helmet/uniform and be alarmed. I hope not but the possibility exists. At a halloween bash two clowns got a little hostile with me and made sig Heil salutes. Schooling them on the very basic differences between the two world wars did not help, at all. They were drunk and acting like aZZhats. But I am wearing the helmet because the helmet was developed during the Verdun campaign so it's most fitting even if not very PC.

I will also be carrying a bayonet in it's sheath and the rifle will be slung across the back (basically in accessible) because the rifle was a secondary weapon during Verdun with the Hand Grenade becoming the primary weapon. I won't have any replicas sadly I did not plan that far ahead.

I have also considered staying in Idaho as they do not seem to have any alarm clause and since my March is planned to end in the town's cemetery that's in Idaho I don't have to travel in two states it's just that it's a nice walk that way. The other rout would take me through the Downtown section of town.
in 2014 I called the two police agencies on both sides of the River but I did not consider that the Army Corps of Engineers were in control of a section of the rout and two of them got a call from a worker about me who showed up to check me out. They were curious not alarmed. I was glad to learn carry in that zone was not forbidden.

I do possess a Concealed Carry License and I always am armed when leaving my hope however I won't have anywhere to carry my piece so I won't be brining it. I do plan to pack a clipper of 8mm in it's place.

I have seen nothing that is illegal about what I am doing, short of raising alarm and the issue about crossing state lines and over two bridges can anyone shed any light on anything I might be missing or offer any other advice not on my radar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXsvhGO-CA

Hun Helmet

PS, I found this site via google searches on the topic. Once I registered I could not find the original thread I first saw that related to the topic. :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO does not support carrying long guns (see Forum Rules & statement therein).

We promote and defend the OC of properly holstered handguns as we go about our normal, everyday lives.

Hun Helmet

This is for a historical display, you might consider adjusting the rules accordingly as States have adjusted their laws for such things. If this is the wrong forum for this topic feel free to remove it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is for a historical display, you might consider adjusting the rules accordingly as States have adjusted their laws for such things. If this is the wrong forum for this topic feel free to remove it.

Well may it be for "historical display" from your personal view, but it is decidedly off topic for this forum. Rule changes are made to strengthen the commitment to OC, not dilute it.

Locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.