Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you need a permit to open carry??

Do you need a permit to open carry??

So I'm 18 and I'm about to get a PPP & purchase me a pistol. someone told me once I buy it I can't carry it around unless I get A OC permit. Is that true or can I OC it once I get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dog View Post
    So I'm 18 and I'm about to get a PPP & purchase me a pistol. someone told me once I buy it I can't carry it around unless I get A OC permit. Is that true or can I OC it once I get it?
    No. You don't need an "open carry permit" (no such thing) to open carry. I don't know who told you that, but they don't know a thing about the laws in NC. As for being 18 and getting a PPP, not sure but me thinks you must be 21 to purchase a handgun in this state, but, you may carry one OPENLY without a permit. You need a CHP to conceal carry, but then again, you must be 21 to conceal with a permit. Hope this helps, and tell the person who gave you the false info to get in touch with the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    No. You don't need an "open carry permit" (no such thing) to open carry. I don't know who told you that, but they don't know a thing about the laws in NC. As for being 18 and getting a PPP, not sure but me thinks you must be 21 to purchase a handgun in this state, but, you may carry one OPENLY without a permit. You need a CHP to conceal carry, but then again, you must be 21 to conceal with a permit. Hope this helps, and tell the person who gave you the false info to get in touch with the laws.
    Thanks for the info and I think it's private sales at 18 and 21 to buy from gun stores
    Last edited by Big_Dog; 02-21-2016 at 09:09 PM.

1) ok, by NC statutes (14-402) NC citizens need either a ppp or chp (>21 criteria) to purchase a firearm from either a private citizen or Licencee (FFL).

OP you may be request and be issued a PPP through your local country sheriff's office.

2) by federal code, with minor exception, to purchase a handgun, you must be >21.

3) because there are no NC statutes governing OC'g, therefore, if you are 18 you may OC for the most part with the same restrictions as those who have been issued their CHP.

4) NC statutes: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...ticle_52A.html

5) NC attorney general's guide to firearms: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx

6) remember the nice LEs might not provide appropriate information.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    1) ok, by NC statutes (14-402) NC citizens need either a ppp or chp (>21 criteria) to purchase a firearm from either a private citizen or Licencee (FFL).
    no.
    Last edited by CDT COX; 02-21-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    no.
    Okay, I am confused. If this is an answer to Big_Dog's question, it is incorrect--no permit required to OC. If this is to be a correction to Solus' post, please point out the error. Solus indicates that a PPP is required for any purchase of a handgun, and that the CHP is an alternate to the PPP (CHP only applies if individual is over 21).

OP understands the difference between private sale and that from a FFL.
    Wethe people is in error about age for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post

no.

quite helpful, no?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    Okay, I am confused. If this is an answer to Big_Dog's question, it is incorrect--no permit required to OC. If this is to be a correction to Solus' post, please point out the error. Solus indicates that a PPP is required for any purchase of a handgun, and that the CHP is an alternate to the PPP (CHP only applies if individual is over 21).

OP understands the difference between private sale and that from a FFL.
    Wethe people is in error about age for purchase.
    Yes I was mistaken. From an FFL, you need to be 21.

Banned
    You can open carry other arms. BCcruiser knows what I carry. For modern handguns, or anything made after 1898 according to ATF guidelines, there is a 5 dollars charge, plus 3 dollars convenience fee per application, plus 0.53 if you do it by card. I would advise you to be careful for awhile and/or possibly seek other arms (non-firearms) to open carry. Not sure about your area/county, but early on, in my early days of open carrying, many people freaked out like sensitized idiots and fear mongers. Maybe its just my county, Catawba county....or maybe its the fact there are not many country folk here, if any. (I didn't come here to deal with fear mongers, I came here to have fun, meet people and because its the South.) Fear mongers have a place and that place is inner cities like Chicago, LA, New York and New Jersey. Not here. Anyway, I wish you luck in your endeavors. No, you do not need a permit to open carry. NC is a traditional open carry state and one of the great 31 states that OC is unrestricted/unlicensed. Keep in mind though, if you enter Tennessee, you need a permit to OC. What you carry is your own choice, but there is the option of an 1898 handgun (not considered a firearm) or any knife, baton, defense spray, etc.

Furthermore, study the Carrying Concealed Weapons statute under NC GS. There is also a city code in Charlotte, City Code 15-14 that has come to my attention and I am not sure if that city is open carry friendly at all or if there is any exception to the rule or if it is an outright ban that severely limits defense options.

https://www.municode.com/library/nc/...E_S15-14PODAWE

Sec. 15-14. - Possession of dangerous weapons.

    

(a)

For the purposes of this section, the term "dangerous weapon" shall be defined as any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property, including, but not limited to, firearms; knives of any kind or type having a blade in excess of 3 inches in length, except when used solely for preparation of food, instruction or maintenance; razors and razor blades, except when used solely for personal shaving; metallic knuckles; clubs, blackjacks and nightsticks; dynamite cartridges, bombs, grenades, mines and other powerful explosives; slingshots; shurikins; stun guns; and loaded canes.

(b)

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.

me thinks patriot, the poster has moved on...

me thinks...

ipse

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    me thinks patriot, the poster has moved on...

me thinks...

ipse
    OP last seen on the horizon moving westerly in a cloud of dust, the same day as he posted.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    OP last seen on the horizon moving westerly in a cloud of dust, the same day as he posted.
    no, yes...gotta go there...

was it to the tune of Tell's overture...w/faithful companion Johnny dep?

yepp just went there..

life as i know it is great

ipse

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    no, yes...gotta go there...

was it to the tune of Tell's overture...w/faithful companion Johnny dep?

yepp just went there..

life as i know it is great

ipse
    Glad that you could see the image so clearly.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    I guess he seems to be rather anti-social. He didn't stick around very long. Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT88 View Post
    I guess he seems to be rather anti-social. He didn't stick around very long. Oh well....
    Ended up breaking my old phone and forgot about my post and remembered I posted til earlier today. Thanks for all the help I'm waiting on the Durham county sheriff to issue my permit any day now.

Ended up breaking my old phone and forgot about my post and remembered I posted til earlier today. Thanks for all the help I'm waiting on the Durham county sheriff to issue my permit any day now.
    Welcome back - You should be able to OC your own gun soon then. Study and learn the laws well.

Presume you refer to a permit to purchase (18yo) not a concealed carry permit (21yo).
    https://durhamso.permitium.com/

For a CC permit - must be 21 yo - see #3 on page #16.
    http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-20-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added

Welcome back, you should read the court decisions that protect OC in NC. Starting with State V Kerner http://www.guncite.com/court/state/107se222.html, and US V Black http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions...d/115084.P.pdf.

It is important to note that in NC our OC rights are based on a court case, read number three as to the irresponsible suggestion by some of using other weapons. It mostly is legal to OC other weapons than a firearm, BUT it is not protected by case law, and can get a person into trouble. Some posters though young should know better before posting without learning.

From Kerner

3. Weapons--Knives, etc., not "arms" within constitutional provision.
    Bowie knives, dirks, daggers, slung-shots, loaded canes, brass, iron, or metallic knucks, (p.223)razors, etc., the carrying of which is prohibited by Pub. Loc. Laws 1919, c. 317, are not "arms" within Const. art. 1, 24, preserving the right to bear arms. (Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

big dog, sorry bout the your fone, but when did you apply for your permit from Durham's sheriff?

ipse

big dog, sorry bout the your fone, but when did you apply for your permit from Durham's sheriff?

ipse
    Applied for it April 12th and it came today! Went and picked it up about an hour ago. Now to find a pistol
    That isn't overpriced.

Applied for it April 12th and it came today! Went and picked it up about an hour ago. Now to find a pistol
    That isn't overpriced.
    Price range?
    Type of pistol?
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Price range?
    Type of pistol?
    Striker fire and no more than 450$. I want a .40 s&w or a 9mm

Striker fire and no more than 450$. I want a .40 s&w or a 9mm
    You should be able to find a good striker gun for around $300. The SDVE series S&W are usually more or less than 300, I believe Buds has them for around 325. But then you have to add the FFL transfer fee if you buy online. IIRC S&W M&P, and Rugers are in the 450 price range. Used Glocks are in the 400 dollar price range.

Ed's in Vass did have a Star Super B 9mm for 250, but that is not striker fired. The Star is a 1911 clone. Taurus are usually under 300, but they have a mixed reputation.

If you do not mind a 8# trigger I would suggest the SDVE, a good quality gun, lifetime warranty. Actually 8# is much less than most DA revolvers, it just is not a light switch trigger like a Glock.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

You should be able to find a good striker gun for around $300. The SDVE series S&W are usually more or less than 300, I believe Buds has them for around 325. But then you have to add the FFL transfer fee if you buy online. IIRC S&W M&P, and Rugers are in the 450 price range. Used Glocks are in the 400 dollar price range.

Ed's in Vass did have a Star Super B 9mm for 250, but that is not striker fired. The Star is a 1911 clone. Taurus are usually under 300, but they have a mixed reputation.

If you do not mind a 8# trigger I would suggest the SDVE, a good quality gun, lifetime warranty. Actually 8# is much less than most DA revolvers, it just is not a light switch trigger like a Glock.
    glad Durham's sheriff was so prompt in issuing you your PPP...now go to the box stores and if the counter personnel will allow you, due to your age, physically examine the firearm(s) you are interested in to assure they properly fit your hand and so forth, then you can tackle the next big hurdle of finding a private seller for you to purchase the firearm from.

remember, giving money to have someone, friend, extended family member, etc., buy a firearm for you is against federal statutes.

i am in the RDU area semi regularly, hollar if you wish to get together at Gander/Cabelas or to meet and greet let me know.

ipse

glad Durham's sheriff was so prompt in issuing you your PPP...now go to the box stores and if the counter personnel will allow you, due to your age, physically examine the firearm(s) you are interested in to assure they properly fit your hand and so forth, then you can tackle the next big hurdle of finding a private seller for you to purchase the firearm from.

remember, giving money to have someone, friend, extended family member, etc., buy a firearm for you is against federal statutes.

i am in the RDU area semi regularly, hollar if you wish to get together at Gander/Cabelas or to meet and greet let me know.

ipse
    Oooops, when I did that post I forgot he was under 21 and could not buy a gun from a FFL. Probably armslist will be his best bet to buy.

OUCH! The private sellers on AL must think that used guns should cost more than new guns. Used guns run 50 to 100 bucks higher used than can be bought new. Things have sure changed over the years.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-26-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Oooops, when I did that post I forgot he was under 21 and could not buy a gun from a FFL. Probably armslist will be his best bet to buy.

OUCH! The private sellers on AL must think that used guns should cost more than new guns. Used guns run 50 to 100 bucks higher used than can be bought new. Things have sure changed over the years.
    I cannot stress how right you are lol I've been looking on AL for some weeks and it seems that everyone thinks their "LNIB" glocks and M&P's are worth $500-800. I did find a few people who had reasonable prices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast