• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you need a permit to open carry??

Big_Dog

So I'm 18 and I'm about to get a PPP & purchase me a pistol. someone told me once I buy it I can't carry it around unless I get A OC permit. Is that true or can I OC it once I get it?

nobama

So I'm 18 and I'm about to get a PPP & purchase me a pistol. someone told me once I buy it I can't carry it around unless I get A OC permit. Is that true or can I OC it once I get it?

No. You don't need an "open carry permit" (no such thing) to open carry. I don't know who told you that, but they don't know a thing about the laws in NC. As for being 18 and getting a PPP, not sure but me thinks you must be 21 to purchase a handgun in this state, but, you may carry one OPENLY without a permit. You need a CHP to conceal carry, but then again, you must be 21 to conceal with a permit. Hope this helps, and tell the person who gave you the false info to get in touch with the laws.

Big_Dog

No. You don't need an "open carry permit" (no such thing) to open carry. I don't know who told you that, but they don't know a thing about the laws in NC. As for being 18 and getting a PPP, not sure but me thinks you must be 21 to purchase a handgun in this state, but, you may carry one OPENLY without a permit. You need a CHP to conceal carry, but then again, you must be 21 to conceal with a permit. Hope this helps, and tell the person who gave you the false info to get in touch with the laws.

Thanks for the info and I think it's private sales at 18 and 21 to buy from gun stores

Last edited:

solus

1) ok, by NC statutes (14-402) NC citizens need either a ppp or chp (>21 criteria) to purchase a firearm from either a private citizen or Licencee (FFL).

OP you may be request and be issued a PPP through your local country sheriff's office.

2) by federal code, with minor exception, to purchase a handgun, you must be >21.

3) because there are no NC statutes governing OC'g, therefore, if you are 18 you may OC for the most part with the same restrictions as those who have been issued their CHP.

4) NC statutes: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_52A.html

5) NC attorney general's guide to firearms: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

6) remember the nice LEs might not provide appropriate information.

ipse

CDT COX

1) ok, by NC statutes (14-402) NC citizens need either a ppp or chp (>21 criteria) to purchase a firearm from either a private citizen or Licencee (FFL).

no.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Okay, I am confused. If this is an answer to Big_Dog's question, it is incorrect--no permit required to OC. If this is to be a correction to Solus' post, please point out the error. Solus indicates that a PPP is required for any purchase of a handgun, and that the CHP is an alternate to the PPP (CHP only applies if individual is over 21).

OP understands the difference between private sale and that from a FFL.
Wethe people is in error about age for purchase.

nobama

Okay, I am confused. If this is an answer to Big_Dog's question, it is incorrect--no permit required to OC. If this is to be a correction to Solus' post, please point out the error. Solus indicates that a PPP is required for any purchase of a handgun, and that the CHP is an alternate to the PPP (CHP only applies if individual is over 21).

OP understands the difference between private sale and that from a FFL.
Wethe people is in error about age for purchase.

Yes I was mistaken. From an FFL, you need to be 21.

PATRIOT88

Banned
You can open carry other arms. BCcruiser knows what I carry. For modern handguns, or anything made after 1898 according to ATF guidelines, there is a 5 dollars charge, plus 3 dollars convenience fee per application, plus 0.53 if you do it by card. I would advise you to be careful for awhile and/or possibly seek other arms (non-firearms) to open carry. Not sure about your area/county, but early on, in my early days of open carrying, many people freaked out like sensitized idiots and fear mongers. Maybe its just my county, Catawba county....or maybe its the fact there are not many country folk here, if any. (I didn't come here to deal with fear mongers, I came here to have fun, meet people and because its the South.) Fear mongers have a place and that place is inner cities like Chicago, LA, New York and New Jersey. Not here. Anyway, I wish you luck in your endeavors. No, you do not need a permit to open carry. NC is a traditional open carry state and one of the great 31 states that OC is unrestricted/unlicensed. Keep in mind though, if you enter Tennessee, you need a permit to OC. What you carry is your own choice, but there is the option of an 1898 handgun (not considered a firearm) or any knife, baton, defense spray, etc.

Furthermore, study the Carrying Concealed Weapons statute under NC GS. There is also a city code in Charlotte, City Code 15-14 that has come to my attention and I am not sure if that city is open carry friendly at all or if there is any exception to the rule or if it is an outright ban that severely limits defense options.

https://www.municode.com/library/nc...eId=PTIICOOR_CH15OFMIPR_ARTIINGE_S15-14PODAWE

Sec. 15-14. - Possession of dangerous weapons.

    

(a)

For the purposes of this section, the term "dangerous weapon" shall be defined as any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property, including, but not limited to, firearms; knives of any kind or type having a blade in excess of 3½ inches in length, except when used solely for preparation of food, instruction or maintenance; razors and razor blades, except when used solely for personal shaving; metallic knuckles; clubs, blackjacks and nightsticks; dynamite cartridges, bombs, grenades, mines and other powerful explosives; slingshots; shurikins; stun guns; and loaded canes.

(b)

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.

solus

OP last seen on the horizon moving westerly in a cloud of dust, the same day as he posted.

no, yes...gotta go there...

was it to the tune of Tell's overture...w/faithful companion Johnny dep?

yepp just went there..

life as i know it is great

ipse

Big_Dog

I guess he seems to be rather anti-social. He didn't stick around very long. Oh well....

Ended up breaking my old phone and forgot about my post and remembered I posted til earlier today. Thanks for all the help I'm waiting on the Durham county sheriff to issue my permit any day now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ended up breaking my old phone and forgot about my post and remembered I posted til earlier today. Thanks for all the help I'm waiting on the Durham county sheriff to issue my permit any day now.
Welcome back - You should be able to OC your own gun soon then. Study and learn the laws well.

Presume you refer to a permit to purchase (18yo) not a concealed carry permit (21yo).
https://durhamso.permitium.com/

For a CC permit - must be 21 yo - see #3 on page #16.
http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Welcome back, you should read the court decisions that protect OC in NC. Starting with State V Kerner http://www.guncite.com/court/state/107se222.html, and US V Black http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/115084.P.pdf.

It is important to note that in NC our OC rights are based on a court case, read number three as to the irresponsible suggestion by some of using other weapons. It mostly is legal to OC other weapons than a firearm, BUT it is not protected by case law, and can get a person into trouble. Some posters though young should know better before posting without learning.

From Kerner

3. Weapons--Knives, etc., not "arms" within constitutional provision.
Bowie knives, dirks, daggers, slung-shots, loaded canes, brass, iron, or metallic knucks, (p.223)razors, etc., the carrying of which is prohibited by Pub. Loc. Laws 1919, c. 317, are not "arms" within Const. art. 1, § 24, preserving the right to bear arms. (Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)

solus

big dog, sorry bout the your fone, but when did you apply for your permit from Durham's sheriff?

ipse

Big_Dog

big dog, sorry bout the your fone, but when did you apply for your permit from Durham's sheriff?

ipse

Applied for it April 12th and it came today! Went and picked it up about an hour ago. Now to find a pistol
That isn't overpriced.