• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you need a permit to open carry??

WalkingWolf

Striker fire and no more than 450$. I want a .40 s&w or a 9mm

You should be able to find a good striker gun for around $300. The SDVE series S&W are usually more or less than 300, I believe Buds has them for around 325. But then you have to add the FFL transfer fee if you buy online. IIRC S&W M&P, and Rugers are in the 450 price range. Used Glocks are in the 400 dollar price range.

Ed's in Vass did have a Star Super B 9mm for 250, but that is not striker fired. The Star is a 1911 clone. Taurus are usually under 300, but they have a mixed reputation.

If you do not mind a 8# trigger I would suggest the SDVE, a good quality gun, lifetime warranty. Actually 8# is much less than most DA revolvers, it just is not a light switch trigger like a Glock.

solus

You should be able to find a good striker gun for around $300. The SDVE series S&W are usually more or less than 300, I believe Buds has them for around 325. But then you have to add the FFL transfer fee if you buy online. IIRC S&W M&P, and Rugers are in the 450 price range. Used Glocks are in the 400 dollar price range.

Ed's in Vass did have a Star Super B 9mm for 250, but that is not striker fired. The Star is a 1911 clone. Taurus are usually under 300, but they have a mixed reputation.

If you do not mind a 8# trigger I would suggest the SDVE, a good quality gun, lifetime warranty. Actually 8# is much less than most DA revolvers, it just is not a light switch trigger like a Glock.

glad Durham's sheriff was so prompt in issuing you your PPP...now go to the box stores and if the counter personnel will allow you, due to your age, physically examine the firearm(s) you are interested in to assure they properly fit your hand and so forth, then you can tackle the next big hurdle of finding a private seller for you to purchase the firearm from.

remember, giving money to have someone, friend, extended family member, etc., buy a firearm for you is against federal statutes.

i am in the RDU area semi regularly, hollar if you wish to get together at Gander/Cabelas or to meet and greet let me know.

ipse

WalkingWolf

glad Durham's sheriff was so prompt in issuing you your PPP...now go to the box stores and if the counter personnel will allow you, due to your age, physically examine the firearm(s) you are interested in to assure they properly fit your hand and so forth, then you can tackle the next big hurdle of finding a private seller for you to purchase the firearm from.

remember, giving money to have someone, friend, extended family member, etc., buy a firearm for you is against federal statutes.

i am in the RDU area semi regularly, hollar if you wish to get together at Gander/Cabelas or to meet and greet let me know.

ipse

Oooops, when I did that post I forgot he was under 21 and could not buy a gun from a FFL. Probably armslist will be his best bet to buy.

OUCH! The private sellers on AL must think that used guns should cost more than new guns. Used guns run 50 to 100 bucks higher used than can be bought new. Things have sure changed over the years.

Last edited:

Big_Dog

Oooops, when I did that post I forgot he was under 21 and could not buy a gun from a FFL. Probably armslist will be his best bet to buy.

OUCH! The private sellers on AL must think that used guns should cost more than new guns. Used guns run 50 to 100 bucks higher used than can be bought new. Things have sure changed over the years.

I cannot stress how right you are lol I've been looking on AL for some weeks and it seems that everyone thinks their "LNIB" glocks and M&P's are worth $500-800. I did find a few people who had reasonable prices

WalkingWolf

I cannot stress how right you are lol I've been looking on AL for some weeks and it seems that everyone thinks their "LNIB" glocks and M&P's are worth $500-800. I did find a few people who had reasonable prices

There is always the option I used when I was under 21, a longgggg time ago. I carried a C&B antique revolver, you can find a brass frame revolver for under 200 dollars, you can even buy it online and have it shipped to you UPS. Don't under estimate the stopping power of a 148gn ball moving at 1000fps. You will be limited to six shots, but most criminals will be intimidated by even one shot. It is unlikely with open carry you will ever even need to fire your gun in self defense.

I sometimes still carry my C&B revolvers, but I have limited that carry. If one of us uses a gun in SD it is most likely the gun will be taken into evidence. A C&B would be junk without prompt cleaning. But losing a 200 brass frame C&B over a 500 dollar Glock that a victim may, or may not get back makes the lesser priced gun more appealing.

Also you might find a HP less expensive to find, and even used that is like a new gun. Just send it to HP service and they will rebuild it to new for free. And HP while inexpensive DO work after break in. My wife bought a CF380 and it has never had, I repeat never had a failure. Unlike her Glock 22 which broke a frame rail after only 10 rounds of factory ammo.

Big_Dog

There is always the option I used when I was under 21, a longgggg time ago. I carried a C&B antique revolver, you can find a brass frame revolver for under 200 dollars, you can even buy it online and have it shipped to you UPS. Don't under estimate the stopping power of a 148gn ball moving at 1000fps. You will be limited to six shots, but most criminals will be intimidated by even one shot. It is unlikely with open carry you will ever even need to fire your gun in self defense.

I sometimes still carry my C&B revolvers, but I have limited that carry. If one of us uses a gun in SD it is most likely the gun will be taken into evidence. A C&B would be junk without prompt cleaning. But losing a 200 brass frame C&B over a 500 dollar Glock that a victim may, or may not get back makes the lesser priced gun more appealing.

Also you might find a HP less expensive to find, and even used that is like a new gun. Just send it to HP service and they will rebuild it to new for free. And HP while inexpensive DO work after break in. My wife bought a CF380 and it has never had, I repeat never had a failure. Unlike her Glock 22 which broke a frame rail after only 10 rounds of factory ammo.
I'll keep that in mind doesn't sound too bad and I like revolvers. I just recently (about an hour ago) found two guys who are selling some good guns I'm interested in. A m&p .45 ($400)and a canik tp9sa ($300) and I'm trying to decide between the two

CDT COX

I'll keep that in mind doesn't sound too bad and I like revolvers. I just recently (about an hour ago) found two guys who are selling some good guns I'm interested in. A m&p .45 ($400)and a canik tp9sa ($300) and I'm trying to decide between the two

Get the Canik.

--Moderator note --
Please read Forum Rule #10

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah I forgot about that. Any inexpensive lasers for the m&p .40 you know of? I want one or a light/laser
The problem with "inexpensive" lasers (Chinese rip offs) is that they do not hold there zero and are prone to breakage.

Crimson Trace is the way to go, but they ain't cheap. I really like my Lasergrips.

There are accessories from S & W which include lights and lasers:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/smith-wesson-m-and-p.html

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I am going to give some unsolicited advice about lasers, and night sights. While they are a great advancement in technology, they are a crutch that can get you in trouble. Most people use them for low light conditions, in fact lasers are very poor at distance in bright sunlight. The time it takes to line one up in sunlight could get a person killed. On the other hand using one in low light conditions does not remove the responsibility to identify your target.

I use a laser for night varmint removal, I would not use one for EDC. I removed the night sights from my Glock because again, in a fight the time to line them up could result in cold slab. I carry a high powered flashlight, another advancement in tech, I want to see clearly my target. I don't train with sights even in daylight. They are all useless to me. Any distance I cannot point at a threat, I can seek cover and try to flee.