Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: An argument against nylon multi-fit holsters

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622

    An argument against nylon multi-fit holsters

    A good argument against nylon, one size fits all (many handguns) holsters is made in following link. Warning: graphic images.

    http://concealednation.org/2016/02/when-bad-holsters-turn-worse-this-guy-took-one-right-in-the-a-heres-why-a-proper-holster-is-essential/


    This thread is made from posts that were off-topic in another thread - I started the misdirection. This is to correct that.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-21-2016 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    Quote Originally Posted by grapeshot View Post
    a good argument against nylon, one size fits all (many handguns) holsters is made in following link. Warning: Graphic images.

    http://concealednation.org/2016/02/w...-is-essential/
    Warning Warning Warning Yes, Grape means Warning.....

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Warning Warning Warning Yes, Grape means Warning.....
    Indeed I do not give warnings (any kind) w/o due cause.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A good argument against nylon, one size fits all (many handguns) holsters is made in following link. Warning: graphic images.

    http://concealednation.org/2016/02/w...-is-essential/

    That looks down right painful.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  5. #5
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    While I don't like nylon holsters, almost all modern guns will not go boom unless the trigger is pulled. It gets tiresome when someone screws up, and the holster gets the blame.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Truth of the matter, we do not know what really happened - only what the man claims must have happened.

    Could be he is hiding a big mistake in the way he handled his gun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,884
    WW, et al., if you have a hole in a arse cheek, from your firearm, would you say...oppps i screwed up or would you soothe your conscious by saying it was an equipment malfunction?

    btw...it appeared to be the individual's left cheek was ventilated straight up and down yet the holster is a right side carry...hummmm,, me thinks the individual misuses a right handed carry holster as a small of the back holster...especially since the hole seems to be almost perpendicular to the individual's crack...

    individual was lucky

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    WW, et al., if you have a hole in a arse cheek, from your firearm, would you say...oppps i screwed up or would you soothe your conscious by saying it was an equipment malfunction?

    btw...it appeared to be the individual's left cheek was ventilated straight up and down yet the holster is a right side carry...hummmm,, me thinks the individual misuses a right handed carry holster as a small of the back holster...especially since the hole seems to be almost perpendicular to the individual's crack...

    individual was lucky

    ipse
    Look at the first picture again - there is a definite angle when a line is drawn between the entry and exit wounds.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    19

    nylon holster

    I think another question to ask, is which type of pistol was he carrying?

    Now I don't mean to start a "which gun is better" or "anti-Glock" thread. With that being said, it appears to me that almost every single story I read about ND's are with Glocks and my guess is he was carrying a Glock.

    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...gent+discharge

    I own several Glocks and like them all, but I carry an XDM for both OC & CC, primarily for the extra safeties. I know a lot of people hate the grip safety and will sight this as a reason not to carry an XDM, yet I rarely if ever here this argument against 1911's.

    Here is a good example of holstering an XDM to avoid a ND.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVypcypK4M4

    I am sure numerous people here have read stories of the shooters shirt, etc. getting caught in the trigger guard of their Glock while re holstering and discharging the gun.

    But like I said my intent is not to bash Glock just to bring up what I see as a valid point of discussion in this ND case.

    Also, never liked or even considered a nylon holster, just not my taste in holsters.


  10. #10
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,506
    Don't taze me bro, but when I do use a holster like this, which is occasionally, I use a triggerguard block like Safe-T-Block. I also use S-T-B for my firearms which are in presentation portable gun safes. Having to reach into a safe at night, I want some additional protection against an errant finger. They are a bit expensive but with some enterprise you can make your own. Be careful and do some training with snap-caps before going 'live'.

    These little push out blocks don't require any extra movement before your normal draw and pre-fire stroke, in my experience.

    When would you use the nylon holsters? Well, perhaps in a jacket carry, in a 5.11 underarm holster shirt. You really don't want to ever have an exposed trigger unless you're in a specific situation (such as ready to engage the BG through a jacket pocket).

    FWIW

  11. #11
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Look at the first picture again - there is a definite angle when a line is drawn between the entry and exit wounds.
    and the exit wound to the vehicle ?

    me thinks there is more to this tale of carelessness...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  12. #12
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    and the exit wound to the vehicle ?

    me thinks there is more to this tale of carelessness...

    ipse
    Like maybe playing quick draw? Just a guess...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Like maybe playing quick draw? Just a guess...
    Whatever the circumstances, he should be glad he wasn't carrying at 1 O'clock. He might have seriously reduced the potential angle of the dangle.

    http://jezebel.com/5978828/man-shoot...nce-icon-to-me
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    As an experienced handler of firearms, Matt got home from the hospital and immediately started inspecting everything. He couldn’t get the striker to drop without pulling the trigger. Everything with the firearm is in 100% working order.
    Not so experienced after all.

    Glock?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

    Glock?
    When did "Glock" become the preferred synonym for idjit with a gun managing to simultaneously violate at least 2 of the 4 rules of gun safety? I hear tell that you can tie back that flipper thingummy and still nothing will happen until enough pressure is applied to the trigger itself.

    Given enough creativity (and I don't think it takes all that much) just about anyone should be able to perform that trick shot with just about any handgun in combination with just about any holster. As a matter of fact, IIRC some "trainer" who had/had a YouTube channel creased his butt with a worn out leather holster being the culprit. (Inspect your equipment regularly and repair/replace as necessary.)

    Put it in the holster in the morning. Leave it there and do not fiddle with it. Put it away when you go to bed (unless you subscribe to the theory of "it lives in the holster unless and until it needs to be taken out and used"). Do that and even the cheapest Cousin Whatshizname holster should cause you no problems.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    When did "Glock" become the preferred synonym for idjit with a gun managing to simultaneously violate at least 2 of the 4 rules of gun safety? I hear tell that you can tie back that flipper thingummy and still nothing will happen until enough pressure is applied to the trigger itself.

    Given enough creativity (and I don't think it takes all that much) just about anyone should be able to perform that trick shot with just about any handgun in combination with just about any holster. As a matter of fact, IIRC some "trainer" who had/had a YouTube channel creased his butt with a worn out leather holster being the culprit. (Inspect your equipment regularly and repair/replace as necessary.)

    Put it in the holster in the morning. Leave it there and do not fiddle with it. Put it away when you go to bed (unless you subscribe to the theory of "it lives in the holster unless and until it needs to be taken out and used"). Do that and even the cheapest Cousin Whatshizname holster should cause you no problems.

    stay safe.
    A multi-fit nylon holster might get a rock/pebble inside the trigger guard. Then any draw stroke involving some down pressure (think thumb release) could discharge the handgun.

    The best safety is the one mounted on one's shoulders and not all of those were built as designed.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A multi-fit nylon holster might get a rock/pebble inside the trigger guard. Then any draw stroke involving some down pressure (think thumb release) could discharge the handgun.

    The best safety is the one mounted on one's shoulders and not all of those were built as designed.
    You mean like that plastic coffin your purdy gun is forced to live in?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    You mean like that plastic coffin your purdy gun is forced to live in?

    stay safe.
    Yep, sure do, except it has never been stuck against its will.

    My gun is like a zombie - comes up and out LIVE, spittin' & droolin'.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •