Thread: In re Statistics; Learning skepticism, an essential skill for citizenship in 21st cen

In re Statistics; Learning skepticism, an essential skill for citizenship in 21st cen

Learning skepticism, an essential skill for citizenship in 21st century America

Summary: In the New America we’re controlled by skillful propaganda. To regain our freedom we must develop greater skepticism. Here’s a good place to start, with an except from Marcello Truzzi’s famous article about the important role of skepticism in science. His insights can help us better understand many of important public policy debates. For example those about climate, medicine, and nutrition.
    http://fabiusmaximus.com/2012/12/01/skepticism-46382/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

A healthy skepticism of a government minion's motives will not prevent his unlawful act(s) nor will skepticism not keep you outta jail.

Plenty of folks are skeptics yet only in a measured way...and only at the government approved time.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

i see your 1987 article with http://www.criticalthinking.org/page...l-thinking/766

Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action. In its exemplary form, it is based on universal intellectual values that transcend subject matter divisions: clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness.

It entails the examination of those structures or elements of thought implicit in all reasoning: purpose, problem, or question-at-issue; assumptions; concepts; empirical grounding; reasoning leading to conclusions; implications and consequences; objections from alternative viewpoints; and frame of reference. Critical thinking — in being responsive to variable subject matter, issues, and purposes — is incorporated in a family of interwoven modes of thinking, among them: scientific thinking, mathematical thinking, historical thinking, anthropological thinking, economic thinking, moral thinking, and philosophical thinking.
    unquote
    and raise you with Diogenes of Sinope, considered one of the founders of Cynicism.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 02-25-2016 at 01:34 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Chukle, Chukle

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    i see your 1987 article with http://www.criticalthinking.org/page...l-thinking/766

Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action. In its exemplary form, it is based on universal intellectual values that transcend subject matter divisions: clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness.

It entails the examination of those structures or elements of thought implicit in all reasoning: purpose, problem, or question-at-issue; assumptions; concepts; empirical grounding; reasoning leading to conclusions; implications and consequences; objections from alternative viewpoints; and frame of reference. Critical thinking — in being responsive to variable subject matter, issues, and purposes — is incorporated in a family of interwoven modes of thinking, among them: scientific thinking, mathematical thinking, historical thinking, anthropological thinking, economic thinking, moral thinking, and philosophical thinking.
    unquote
    and raise you with Diogenes of Sinope, considered one of the founders of Cynicism.

ipse

Your Avatar makes this a bit humorous.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

unquote

ipse
    The short version - Garbage in, garbage out.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    The short version - Garbage in, garbage out.
    shall i put you & your review of my post under the skeptical side of the column?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    shall i put you & your review of my post under the skeptical side of the column?

ipse
    On the bell curve would that be far to the right or far to the left?????

SO....

Last edited by color of law; 02-25-2016 at 06:53 PM.