• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D.C. Ruling!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
See this fazebook post by Emily Miller

Yes!

Emily Miller16 hrs ·
RULING ON DC GUN LAWS -- Appeals court upholds Heller 2 ruling that certain parts of the registration requirement to own a gun for home defense are not allowed....
See More

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Typical.....

Is this what you are referring??????
RULING ON DC GUN LAWS -- Appeals court upholds Heller 2 ruling that certain parts of the registration requirement to own a gun for home defense are not allowed. These things have to stop: 1) Written test before owning 2) Limit one gun per month 3) Renew registration every three years 4) Bring gun to police department.
Progress!

If it is???? Need more detail....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Re read Fazebook:
Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
New requirements to replace those will be added in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6....

Back into court for another two years...

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Finally, I have found a story that explains what it is Emily was posting about..

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-rehear-heller-iii-reinforces-pro-gun-victory

FAQ
Last year, we reported that a panel for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia held in the long-running follow-up to the original Heller case (known currently as Heller III), that certain provisions of D.C.’s firearm registration scheme violate the Second Amendment. These included D.C.’s handgun rationing rule, its requirement to renew firearm registrations every three years, a required test of “legal knowledge” for registration applicants, and the requirement that registration applicants present their firearms in person at police headquarters. As we noted at the time, however, the District still had options for further review of the decision.
Today, one of those options has been foreclosed, with the decision that the full appellate court will not rehear the panel’s ruling, leaving the initial ruling fully intact. While this development does not necessarily mean the legal wrangling in the case is over, it does reinforce a significant pro-gun victory the courts.

decklin

So for whatever reason you're link under "read more" just links to Gogo's Facebook profile. Which by the way he should really set to private.

swinokur

Activist Member
The court upheld the District Court ruling that DC's one gun a month rule and a knowledge test on DC gun laws was unconstitutional. DC's only recourse is to ask SCOTUS for CERT.

DC AG said they are thinking about next steps.

HPmatt

Thanks goodness I don't live in the district, but if I did, I would try to line up some legal support and then, along w neighbors, own weapons to defend myself & family - time for conscientious objectors to claim 2A rights.

rushcreek2

I'm just a simple sort of person.

Washington, D.C. " Home Rulers " seems to be paddling against the tide on this one.

I doubt that they will take my advice but .... Why don't they simply recognize handgun carry permits issued by the 50 states....?

It's not as if Washington, D.C. was a " Super State "..or something.

Recognize state handgun permits...and then.. if need be... address violations of existing criminal laws.

Way too much commotion over this.

swinokur

Activist Member
The government in DC feels they are different than everyone else.

They suffer from the "we're special" so other states rules won't work here syndrome.

too bad the homicide rate doesn't reflect that.

they will only change when forced to by a court.