Thread: First Time Open Carry

First Time Open Carry

I am a new gun owner and live in Bristol, TN. and was on the fence whether to open carry or concealed carry. While waiting on my TN permit to arrive in the mail, I decided to open carry today when I went shopping at Kroger in Bristol, VA. Basically I wanted to see how comfortable I would be and if I would get any comments. I went down every aisle with my Ruger SR9c loaded with a 17 rd mag. on my hip and no one seemed to notice. There was no comment from anyone, not even a passing glance. It was like I wasn't even there. I've been shopping at this same store almost every week for the last 6 years and have never seen anyone open carrying a handgun. I was totally surprised that not even one person made a comment about "he's got a gun". I will definitely say that I it felt natural to open carry and was totally comfortable with it. To me having a gun stuck in a holster inside your pants as most concealed carry enthusiast do is most uncomfortable and doesn't make any sense to me. I don't see any reason to hide your gun when nobody gives a rats ***. After today's experience, I will open carry.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-28-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

One of the owners (John Pierce) of this site lives in Bristol, Va. Suspect he and his merry band have done a lot to normalize everyday OC in and about the area. It just isn't the problem that some expected when they first gave it consideration.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Well, I don't feel so bad now. Good for you! I'm not totally comfortable OCing, except with the group of folks who get together for the monthly OC dinners (in and around the Richmond area - really great people - regulars and new folks each month; just watch for the thread and join in if you're in the area).

Grapeshot OC's 24/7 (except when not legal). When we're together, I sometimes try to pay attention to the reactions, and I am surprised as well that often it goes totally unnoticed. Occasionally, there may be that "look", but mostly, people appreciate it. Along with open carrying, Grape gets handshakes, compliments on his purdy gun, questions, and even free meals! He takes full advantage and educates folks who are interested and passes along info on Opencarry.org and VCDL.

Good luck!
    Last edited by DoubleTap; 02-28-2016 at 06:55 PM.
    Fear has two meanings: Forget everything and run OR face everything and rise!

^ ^ President of my fan club ^ ^

Also one of the loveliest ladies in Virginia. Would lay down my life for her.

Don't let her fool you though - hers is always there (OC or CC) and she is razor sharp accurate.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Founder's Club Member
    Welcome nshaw! I too tried OCing head first when I lived in Arizona 11 years ago. Since then I've had very few issues and OC nearly daily as I go out and about. I would not have figured that I'd see just as many, if not more OCers in the eastern states as I did in Arizona, but that's been my experience over the past 8-1/2 years. There are times I choose to conceal, but generally prefer the open nature of ensuring the public can see that those who carry guns are not the maladjusted crazies that the anti-civil rights crews would have you believe are typical for gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTap View Post
    Well, I don't feel so bad now. Good for you! I'm not totally comfortable OCing, except with the group of folks who get together for the monthly OC dinners (in and around the Richmond area - really great people - regulars and new folks each month; just watch for the thread and join in if you're in the area).

Grapeshot OC's 24/7 (except when not legal). When we're together, I sometimes try to pay attention to the reactions, and I am surprised as well that often it goes totally unnoticed. Occasionally, there may be that "look", but mostly, people appreciate it. Along with open carrying, Grape gets handshakes, compliments on his purdy gun, questions, and even free meals! He takes full advantage and educates folks who are interested and passes along info on Opencarry.org and VCDL.

Good luck!
    The "looks" I think come from 2 questions. 1. How does he have that beautiful woman on his arm, and 2. where did he get that Purdy gun?

Grapeshot is a lucky man on both counts. ;>)

i also OC whenever i can. CC when its prudent: crowds, iffy areas, etc. Generally OC all day/every day in Williamsburg.

Glad to see you find OC so liberating.
    Only been to Bristol VA a few times nary an issue.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Welcome, Good for you! Carry on!

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTap View Post

Good luck!
    Doesn't that get a tad uncomfortable while he's sleeping? He does sleep, doesn't he?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nshaw65 View Post
    I am a new gun owner and live in Bristol, TN. and was on the fence whether to open carry or concealed carry. While waiting on my TN permit to arrive in the mail, I decided to open carry today when I went shopping at Kroger in Bristol, VA.
    (snip)
    Welcome to OCDO and Open Carry! I remember when I first moved into Virginia and started openly carrying. My situational awareness was over the top, but I soon realized -- as you have observed -- most people float through life in Condition White and seldom see the most obvious things. Stay aware, keep calm and ... Carry.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Doesn't that get a tad uncomfortable while he's sleeping? He does sleep, doesn't he?
    Only very late at night on days ending in a "Y." And then only if no one is looking.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    The "looks" I think come from 2 questions. 1. How does he have that beautiful woman on his arm, and 2. where did he get that Purdy gun?

Grapeshot is a lucky man on both counts. ;>)
    SIR, remember this is a forum made up of individuals who have high Morals ...we do not wonder those type of things in public commentary...

(now taz the rumor, truth be told, has it he sells his bod on CL to have afforded the Purdy firearm...tho can't rightly speak about his extremely lovely companion )

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    SIR, remember this is a forum made up of individuals who have high Morals ...we do not wonder those type of things in public commentary...

(now taz the rumor, truth be told, has it he sells his bod on CL to have afforded the Purdy firearm...tho can't rightly speak about his extremely lovely companion )

ipse
    There are rules about what constitutes a straw purchase and what does not. On the advice of any lawyer I might retain I shall say nothing more about that until after consultation with said retained lawyer.

As for the grips - they are (figuratively) a dime a dozen on the internet. The plastic fantastic holster can be had for a song.

The suspenders are to concentrate the weight at the shoulders, bearing down from there towards the ground, in order that the directed weight will keep him from being blown away. There is also some magic in the suspenders that keeps the weight of the gun from forcing him to his knees.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    --snipped--now taz the rumor, truth be told, has it he sells his bod on CL to have afforded the Purdy firearm...tho can't rightly speak about his extremely lovely companion
    Harump! - I do have standards - I will not buy or sell that which has served me so admirably.............there could be a reason to rent it out on a very limited basis though. (Key song Never on a Sunday here)

I was not the initiator of the "purdy gun" descriptor, but find it used regularly, even by strangers. Who I am I to contradict such truth?

As to my relationship with DoubleTap - good luck must have played a significant role initially; however, I do everything I can so foster its longevity each and everyday. My mamma taught me that and she was a very smart lady.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-02-2016 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added