• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Open Carry

nshaw65

I am a new gun owner and live in Bristol, TN. and was on the fence whether to open carry or concealed carry. While waiting on my TN permit to arrive in the mail, I decided to open carry today when I went shopping at Kroger in Bristol, VA. Basically I wanted to see how comfortable I would be and if I would get any comments. I went down every aisle with my Ruger SR9c loaded with a 17 rd mag. on my hip and no one seemed to notice. There was no comment from anyone, not even a passing glance. It was like I wasn't even there. I've been shopping at this same store almost every week for the last 6 years and have never seen anyone open carrying a handgun. I was totally surprised that not even one person made a comment about "he's got a gun". I will definitely say that I it felt natural to open carry and was totally comfortable with it. To me having a gun stuck in a holster inside your pants as most concealed carry enthusiast do is most uncomfortable and doesn't make any sense to me. I don't see any reason to hide your gun when nobody gives a rats ***. After today's experience, I will open carry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the forum.

One of the owners (John Pierce) of this site lives in Bristol, Va. Suspect he and his merry band have done a lot to normalize everyday OC in and about the area. It just isn't the problem that some expected when they first gave it consideration.

DoubleTap

Well, I don't feel so bad now. Good for you! I'm not totally comfortable OCing, except with the group of folks who get together for the monthly OC dinners (in and around the Richmond area - really great people - regulars and new folks each month; just watch for the thread and join in if you're in the area).

Grapeshot OC's 24/7 (except when not legal). When we're together, I sometimes try to pay attention to the reactions, and I am surprised as well that often it goes totally unnoticed. Occasionally, there may be that "look", but mostly, people appreciate it. Along with open carrying, Grape gets handshakes, compliments on his purdy gun, questions, and even free meals! He takes full advantage and educates folks who are interested and passes along info on Opencarry.org and VCDL.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
^ ^ President of my fan club ^ ^ :lol:

Also one of the loveliest ladies in Virginia. Would lay down my life for her.

Don't let her fool you though - hers is always there (OC or CC) and she is razor sharp accurate.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Welcome nshaw! I too tried OCing head first when I lived in Arizona 11 years ago. Since then I've had very few issues and OC nearly daily as I go out and about. I would not have figured that I'd see just as many, if not more OCers in the eastern states as I did in Arizona, but that's been my experience over the past 8-1/2 years. There are times I choose to conceal, but generally prefer the open nature of ensuring the public can see that those who carry guns are not the maladjusted crazies that the anti-civil rights crews would have you believe are typical for gun owners.

va_tazdad

Well, I don't feel so bad now. Good for you! I'm not totally comfortable OCing, except with the group of folks who get together for the monthly OC dinners (in and around the Richmond area - really great people - regulars and new folks each month; just watch for the thread and join in if you're in the area).

Grapeshot OC's 24/7 (except when not legal). When we're together, I sometimes try to pay attention to the reactions, and I am surprised as well that often it goes totally unnoticed. Occasionally, there may be that "look", but mostly, people appreciate it. Along with open carrying, Grape gets handshakes, compliments on his purdy gun, questions, and even free meals! He takes full advantage and educates folks who are interested and passes along info on Opencarry.org and VCDL.

Good luck!

The "looks" I think come from 2 questions. 1. How does he have that beautiful woman on his arm, and 2. where did he get that Purdy gun?

Grapeshot is a lucky man on both counts. ;>)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Good luck!

Doesn't that get a tad uncomfortable while he's sleeping? He does sleep, doesn't he? :lol:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I am a new gun owner and live in Bristol, TN. and was on the fence whether to open carry or concealed carry. While waiting on my TN permit to arrive in the mail, I decided to open carry today when I went shopping at Kroger in Bristol, VA.
(snip)

Welcome to OCDO and Open Carry! I remember when I first moved into Virginia and started openly carrying. My situational awareness was over the top, but I soon realized -- as you have observed -- most people float through life in Condition White and seldom see the most obvious things. Stay aware, keep calm and ... Carry.

solus

The "looks" I think come from 2 questions. 1. How does he have that beautiful woman on his arm, and 2. where did he get that Purdy gun?

Grapeshot is a lucky man on both counts. ;>)

SIR, remember this is a forum made up of individuals who have high Morals :shocker:...we do not wonder :uhoh: those type of things in public commentary...

(now taz the rumor, truth be told, has it he sells his bod on CL to have afforded the Purdy firearm...tho can't rightly speak about his extremely lovely companion :eek:)

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
SIR, remember this is a forum made up of individuals who have high Morals :shocker:...we do not wonder :uhoh: those type of things in public commentary...

(now taz the rumor, truth be told, has it he sells his bod on CL to have afforded the Purdy firearm...tho can't rightly speak about his extremely lovely companion :eek:)

ipse

There are rules about what constitutes a straw purchase and what does not. On the advice of any lawyer I might retain I shall say nothing more about that until after consultation with said retained lawyer.

As for the grips - they are (figuratively) a dime a dozen on the internet. The plastic fantastic holster can be had for a song.

The suspenders are to concentrate the weight at the shoulders, bearing down from there towards the ground, in order that the directed weight will keep him from being blown away. There is also some magic in the suspenders that keeps the weight of the gun from forcing him to his knees.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--now taz the rumor, truth be told, has it he sells his bod on CL to have afforded the Purdy firearm...tho can't rightly speak about his extremely lovely companion :eek:
Harump! - I do have standards - I will not buy or sell that which has served me so admirably.............there could be a reason to rent it out on a very limited basis though. (Key song Never on a Sunday here) :)

I was not the initiator of the "purdy gun" descriptor, but find it used regularly, even by strangers. Who I am I to contradict such truth?

As to my relationship with DoubleTap - good luck must have played a significant role initially; however, I do everything I can so foster its longevity each and everyday. My mamma taught me that and she was a very smart lady.
icon14.png

Last edited: