• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is OC legal for non-residents?

NomadMan

I'm a resident of Mississippi, but working in NC and have a few questions that I have been researching, but am getting conflicting information.

1. Is OC legal for non-residents?

2. Do some cities restrict OC? If so, is there a way to find which cities do?

3. In my home state OC is well accepted. Is this the case here or will 911 be called when someone sees OC?

4. What is LEOs response to OC? Are they respectful of OC or do the easily detain?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc.cruiser

OC is legal for all, including those from Mississippi. Even if you cannot OC in your home state, you are "good to go" here. In fact, non-citizens may also carry. To find any OC/display restrictions in any particular municipality you need to find their ordinances; most subscribe to Municode. Googe 'ordinances of the city of ______".

OC is not universally accepted and some idiot may call 911. That does not mean you will get hassled. I have no knowledge of whether anyone has ever made a 911 call on me. I have had ZERO negative experiences with LEOs while armed, even though many of them (of those I know) do not believe in OC.

The only detention I have witnessed was during a so-called gun buy back. Some plain clothes city police and ATF officers were hassling a guy who was offering to buy from the people lined up to turn them in. The guy kept his cool and prevailed.

If you carry as shown in your avatar, you will at least get looked at.

Check the NC flyer sticky.

Last edited:

NomadMan

BC, thank you very much for the info, very informative. I carry what you see on my avatar at home. OC is legal without a permit in MS. I get many comments on it at home, always positive. Looks like I will start OC here.

solus

I'm a resident of Mississippi, but working in NC and have a few questions that I have been researching, but am getting conflicting information.

1. Is OC legal for non-residents?

2. Do some cities restrict OC? If so, is there a way to find which cities do?

3. In my home state OC is well accepted. Is this the case here or will 911 be called when someone sees OC?

4. What is LEOs response to OC? Are they respectful of OC or do the easily detain?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Tarheel state, BC provided you succinct answers to your question(s) above; however being the curious one, specifically from whom are you receiving conflicting information. it is important to discern where misinformation is emanating from so the opportunity exists to possibly education those kind folk about the fact(s), thus eliminating the emotional BS bias(es) from the source.

additionally, for your reading pleasure ~ http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx ~ the NC AG's 'guide' to our firearm laws, including section III on carry in a vehicle.

Further, if in the right part of the state at the right time, you are more than welcome to join or set up a lunch or early dinner engagement w/like minded Tarheels. PM if this interests you.

finally, i will let Walking Wolf weigh in on the applicability of your carry rig shown in your avatar...

again welcome to the Tarheel state, enjoy your stay OC'g to your heart's contentment.

ipse

NomadMan

Solus, thanks for the welcome and thank you for the info. The conflicting information is that OC.org lists NC as a gold star state, but I've read several places that OC was legal for residents only.

As for my rig. Looking forward to hearing wolfs comments. I also have a sig saur p250, which I left at home, but o rarely carry it as I have always been more comfortable with revolvers and my .45 in particular.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
OC is legal for all, including those from Mississippi. Even if you cannot OC in your home state, you are "good to go" here. In fact, non-citizens may also carry. To find any OC/display restrictions in any particular municipality you need to find their ordinances; most subscribe to Municode. Googe 'ordinances of the city of ______". ...
It seems to me that OCDO ought not to consider NC a Gold Star OC state since there can be varying OC/display restrictions depending on the municipality. IOW, NC doesn't have complete preemption is the way I read things.

http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-n-s/north-carolina/

nobama

Where will you be? We are having a dinner at Prissy Pollys BBQ in Kernersville on Fri eve at 6pm. You are welcome to join us. BTW, I will also say that OC is legal for non-residents here.

WalkingWolf

Solus, thanks for the welcome and thank you for the info. The conflicting information is that OC.org lists NC as a gold star state, but I've read several places that OC was legal for residents only.

As for my rig. Looking forward to hearing wolfs comments. I also have a sig saur p250, which I left at home, but o rarely carry it as I have always been more comfortable with revolvers and my .45 in particular.

Howdy, it looks like we both share a love of single action revolvers. I on occasion carry a pair, lately though I have become attached to my GP100.

NomadMan

Howdy, it looks like we both share a love of single action revolvers. I on occasion carry a pair, lately though I have become attached to my GP100.

Howdy fellow SA fan! A pair? That is unique. Do you have a photo? Would love to see them. I am not familiar with GP100.

As I've mentioned I live in MS, but working here. Are you anywhere near Southport?

WalkingWolf

Howdy fellow SA fan! A pair? That is unique. Do you have a photo? Would love to see them. I am not familiar with GP100.

As I've mentioned I live in MS, but working here. Are you anywhere near Southport?

I will have to make some tomorrow if the camera has enough juice. I had some on site photo album but I guess they disappeared since I have not used them. Do have one of my GP100, though it is a DA revolver.

I have several that I carry, usually a 1873 4.75 clone, and a 1851 5.5 Navy cart conversion in a crossdraw. I used to carry the 51 conversion with a 51 3 inch C&B avenging angel crossdraw.

When I met Solus I was carrying the pair of 51's.

Current carry

P7240011_zps5lxwgv90.jpg

NomadMan

I will have to make some tomorrow if the camera has enough juice. I had some on site photo album but I guess they disappeared since I have not used them. Do have one of my GP100, though it is a DA revolver.

I have several that I carry, usually a 1873 4.75 clone, and a 1851 5.5 Navy cart conversion in a crossdraw. I used to carry the 51 conversion with a 51 3 inch C&B avenging angel crossdraw.

When I met Solus I was carrying the pair of 51's.

Current carry

P7240011_zps5lxwgv90.jpg

Nice looking revolver. Here is my EDC.

a1a813761e66ab8a4dcc3da6f1721ef0.jpg

NomadMan

OC is legal for all, including those from Mississippi. Even if you cannot OC in your home state, you are "good to go" here. In fact, non-citizens may also carry. To find any OC/display restrictions in any particular municipality you need to find their ordinances; most subscribe to Municode. Googe 'ordinances of the city of ______".

OC is not universally accepted and some idiot may call 911. That does not mean you will get hassled. I have no knowledge of whether anyone has ever made a 911 call on me. I have had ZERO negative experiences with LEOs while armed, even though many of them (of those I know) do not believe in OC.

The only detention I have witnessed was during a so-called gun buy back. Some plain clothes city police and ATF officers were hassling a guy who was offering to buy from the people lined up to turn them in. The guy kept his cool and prevailed.

If you carry as shown in your avatar, you will at least get looked at.

Check the NC flyer sticky.

I did as you suggested and couldn't find any restrictions for Southport, but to be on the safe side I called the police department and talked to a very pleasant Sargent who informed me it was legal. Thank you for your help.

NomadMan

OC update:

After visiting several stores yesterday I found my experience to be pretty much the same as at home in Mississippi. Other than a few double takes there was no reaction except one. As I was leaving the Holiday Inn where I am staying I stopped to talk to the hotel manager who appreciated me carrying and clearly supported my right.

PATRIOT88

Banned
I have had fear mongers call police in my early days of open carrying, than has passed now. Police here didn't really give me any issue. No illegal searches and seizures and all rights respected and adhered to. The reaction by the public depends on the area/town/county I guess. Catawba is mixed, not that many open carry any arms here.