Thread: House Bill 2500: Person fails to secure a dangerous or deadly weapon - Class D Felony

Thumbs down House Bill 2500: Person fails to secure a dangerous or deadly weapon - Class D Felony

HOUSE BILL NO. 2500

568.045. 1. A person commits the offense of endangering the welfare of a child in the
    2 first degree if he or she:

13 (5) Knowingly fails to secure a readily available, loaded deadly weapon in the
    14 presence of a child less than seventeen years of age. For the purposes of this subdivision,
    15 the term “secure” means a deadly weapon with a functioning lock, housed in a safe or
    16 unloaded of ammunition.

http://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bil...ro/HB2500I.PDF

http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummaryp...ar=2016&code=R

Newman, Stacey
    District: 087
    Party: Democrat
    Phone: 573-751-0100
    Room: 101-K
    Call your elected reps and voice your disapproval.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

E-mail sent to Rep

Sir,

Please vote NO on HB2500.

Article I, Section 23 - Right to Keep and Bear Arms--Exception

That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned. The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the general assembly from enacting general laws which limit the rights of convicted violent felons or those duly adjudged mentally infirm by a court of competent jurisdiction.

A minor child who is not prohibited by law to possess a firearm without parental supervision enjoys the full protection of Article I Section 23 of the Missouri constitution.

This bill will criminalize the mere availability of a lawfully possessed firearm for use by a minor child to lawfully defend themself and their family in the home.

This bill is a prior restraint on the lawful exercise of our unalienable right to keep and bear arms.

Please vote NO on HB2500.
    Sent this morning.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Sent this morning.
    Bill was dead before it was filed.