• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trump Rally

Brian D.

Trump has secret service protection. What do you think?????

I don't have a cite, but recall reading more than once that "default mode" for the Secret Service is to invoke whatever federal magic powers they have to override state laws that would otherwise allow carry, whenever the SS has a detail present. However, there may well be exceptions, since so many high level US Representatives and Senators have such security attached to them in these post-9/11 days.

For example, I would have thought that Senator McConnell would "rate" having Secret Service assigned during his travels; when John Boehner was Speaker of the House, he certainly did, whether at a rally or charity golf outing. But as gutshot's experience, mentioned above with McConnell suggests, perhaps that isn't always the case ?

Brian D.

Interesting info there, gutshot, thanks. I have heard and read that the advent of DHS had caused an increase in the amount of U.S. Senators/Reps that got Secret Service protection details, but it sounds like you're better informed.

Lthrnck

Get in Line....

#

Office

Current Officer

Vice President Joe Biden

Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan

President pro tempore of the US Senate Orrin Hatch

Secretary of State John Kerry

Secretary of the Treasury Jack Lew

Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter

Attorney General Loretta Lynch

Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell

Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack

Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker

Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez

Secretary of Health and Human Services Sylvia Mathews Burwell

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julian Castro

Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx

Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz

Secretary of Education John King, Jr.

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert McDonald

Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson

travis1911

I apologize for the delay, it seems my notifications for all of my taptalk forums were turned off.
I spend my time about 50/50 OC-CC and really wanted to test Trump's pro 2A agenda. He claims to support gun owners rights however the Secret Service was in full force at the rally so no weapons of any kind were permitted in. Must be nice to have magical federal powers that disregard all state laws.

That being said it was a very interesting event as I'm sure some of you saw on the news. My FIL and I were about 10ft from the scuffle the media blasted everywhere involving a protester being removed by supporters.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Boehner was Speaker of the House, second in line of secession to the Presidency. McConnell is merely the Senate Majority Leader. McConnell's security team was "Capitol Police", not Secret Service. The senate majority leader is no where on that list of sucession. Presidential candidates, if they garner enough support, also get Secret Service protection. Speaker of the House is a Constitutionally mandated office, not so with Senate Majority Leader, purely political.

IMO no one should get special treatment. Just MO. Don't worry, we can make more politicians !