Thread: Gun club closed because of pollution from spent bullets

Gun club closed because of pollution from spent bullets

Huh? That's the first I have heard of. Gun range to be closed because of bullet pollution? The state wants to protect every microbe in soil and air and now the gun range used by many CCLer or OCers if CA permits it now are left high and dry. Buy a piece of land way out and enjoy your own private range. Is that possible in Pelosi land? Why don't you folks migrate to other states?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci...ange-next-year

More envrio wacko anti gun BS.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

our gun club hired guys to reclaim spent lead - they make a good living doing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    our gun club hired guys to reclaim spent lead - they make a good living doing that...
    Why? Do you rent the range as a school playground in the offseason or something?

I tell our club's board not to even accept the offer of a company that wants to come and do it for free. It's our lead. We'll SELL it to you when we feel like it. Meanwhile, I like it right where it is.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Blacksburg, Va., November 3, 2004 -- "There were 20 million metric tons of lead bullets fired in the United States in the 20th century. Is that lead having an environmental impact?"

"Not at or near the U.S. Forest Service firing range near Blacksburg, according to research by Virginia Tech geological scientists. Donald Rimstidt, a professor in the Department of Geosciences, College of Science at Virginia Tech, will report the conclusions of a five-year study at the 116th national meeting of the Geological Sciences of America in Denver Nov. 7-10."

"However some lead escapes, he said. "But we learned that it is absorbed in the top few inches of soil and does not migrate beyond that," Rimstidt said. "Lead is not very mobile. It does not wash away in surface or ground water."

"Rimstidt''s conclusion is that shooting on controlled ranges reduces the overall risk to the public from lead in the environment."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1104005801.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Why? Do you rent the range as a school playground in the offseason or something?

I tell our club's board not to even accept the offer of a company that wants to come and do it for free. It's our lead. We'll SELL it to you when we feel like it. Meanwhile, I like it right where it is.
    Club has been active in 2 locations in Dallas/FtWorth for over 50 years - we get lead reclaimed with no effort on our part, have ranges A, B, C, D and 300yd ranges still open, as well as sporting clays and skeet fields. Lots of land to rotate and no reason to allow spent bullets to leach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Club has been active in 2 locations in Dallas/FtWorth for over 50 years - we get lead reclaimed with no effort on our part, have ranges A, B, C, D and 300yd ranges still open, as well as sporting clays and skeet fields. Lots of land to rotate and no reason to allow spent bullets to leach.
    Spent bullets (lead) do not leech, contaminate ground water, or otherwise harm the soil off site. Read link/study provided in post #5 for corroboration.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Lead from bullets is leaching into groundwater and creeks that flow into Lake Chabot, which is supposed to provide a backup drinking-water supply for the East Bay Municipal Utility District. Although regular testing by the park distric shows the creeks are polluted, Nelsy Rodriguez, a spokewoman from EBMUD, said no trace of lead has been found in the lake.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ot-6861704.php
    But park district General Manager Robert Doyle recommended closing the club, which has operated for half a century in Anthony Chabot Regional Park near San Leandro and Castro Valley. It’s become a major source of pollution, as lead from bullets fired into hillsides leaches into groundwater and creeks that flow into Lake Chabot.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ub-6864733.php
    So much for EBMUD data.

PDRC, what is to be expected.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Lead from bullets is leaching into groundwater and creeks that flow into Lake Chabot, which is supposed to provide a backup drinking-water supply for the East Bay Municipal Utility District. Although regular testing by the park distric shows the creeks are polluted, Nelsy Rodriguez, a spokewoman from EBMUD, said no trace of lead has been found in the lake.
    http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ot-6861704.php But park district General Manager Robert Doyle recommended closing the club, which has operated for half a century in Anthony Chabot Regional Park near San Leandro and Castro Valley. It’s become a major source of pollution, as lead from bullets fired into hillsides leaches into groundwater and creeks that flow into Lake Chabot.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ub-6864733.php

I see potential for a civil suit here - Interference with the lawful operation of a private business. Can't find an applicable cite though.

Back in the 90's, there were claims of ground water contamination stemming from decades of live firing at Camp Edwards (Cape Cod, Ma.). I remember a live fire moratorium was put in effect, but I don't recall much more than that. I'll see if I can find more information on the internet.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...69749103003907

https://www.military1.com/army/artic...t-camp-edwards
    Last edited by 325rto; 03-06-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I see potential for a civil suit here - Interference with the lawful operation of a private business. Can't find an applicable cite though.
    I'd like to believe so, we are witnessing Californians in action and it will be very difficult to sway a Bay Area civil jury.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I'd like to believe so, we are witnessing Californians in action and it will be very difficult to sway a Bay Area civil jury.
    Then there is this concern.

Toxic lead isn’t the only controversy surrounding the gun club. Hikers and nearby residents have long complained about noise from pistols, rifles and shotguns.
    Noise...yes, the noise...

Then there is this concern.

Noise...yes, the noise...
    State changes the environmental regulations that apply to the entire state...too late now. Shudda lobbied to not have the regulations changed.

State changes the environmental regulations that apply to the entire state...too late now. Shudda lobbied to not have the regulations changed.
    A success of South Carolina's Grass Roots Gun Rights was the gun range protection act.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A success of South Carolina's Grass Roots Gun Rights was the gun range protection act.
    what era was the group functional to get that done?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    what era was the group functional to get that done?

ipse
    Prior to the year 2000, as that time frame is in the title:

SECTION 31-18-10. Chapter title.
    This chapter may be cited as the "South Carolina Shooting Range Protection Act of 2000".
    HISTORY: 2000 Act No. 260, Section 1.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t31c018.php

http://search.scstatehouse.gov/index.php?q=SC%20HISTORY:%202000%20Act%20No.%20260 ,%20Section%201.&site=default_collection&client=sc statehouse&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=scsta tehouse&filter=0

thanks grape...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Blacksburg, Va., November 3, 2004 -- "There were 20 million metric tons of lead bullets fired in the United States in the 20th century. Is that lead having an environmental impact?"

"Not at or near the U.S. Forest Service firing range near Blacksburg, according to research by Virginia Tech geological scientists. Donald Rimstidt, a professor in the Department of Geosciences, College of Science at Virginia Tech, will report the conclusions of a five-year study at the 116th national meeting of the Geological Sciences of America in Denver Nov. 7-10."

"However some lead escapes, he said. "But we learned that it is absorbed in the top few inches of soil and does not migrate beyond that," Rimstidt said. "Lead is not very mobile. It does not wash away in surface or ground water."

"Rimstidt''s conclusion is that shooting on controlled ranges reduces the overall risk to the public from lead in the environment."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1104005801.htm
    We hold our annual lead fest in a private quarry out in the country. I sure wouldn't grow my vegetables there but then the lead goes nowhere because the quarry is no longer used.
    By the way Obama sorta if not exactly shut down the lead plant in Herculaneum, Mo. The company said in a statement on its website that it decided to close the facility it would cost too much to install the “pollution control technologies” required to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as mandated by the Clean Air Act. Maybe the range could have installed a way to keep lead in check but the costs are going to be prohibitive.

By the way many of you, like me have mercury based fillings in our teeth. Has any body gotten the mad hatter syndrome? That might be the next criteria used to take our guns away.

http://bearingarms.com/its-the-end-o...d-i-feel-fine/
    Last edited by Law abider; 03-07-2016 at 05:06 PM.