• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11 yo shoots 8 yo intentionally

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Shocker: 8-year-old girl tells 11-year-old neighbour he can't play with her puppy, he guns her down

Oct 7, 2015 01:30 IST
Tennessee: An 11-year-old boy has been charged with murder after he killed his 8-year-old neighbor, police said, and witnesses say it was because the girl wouldn't let him see her puppy.

Police were called to the neighborhood in White Pine, east of Knoxville, on Saturday night. The boy shot the girl from inside his home with his father's 12-gauge shotgun, said Jefferson County Sheriff Bud McCoig.

Latasha Dyer told reporters her daughter was playing outside when the next-door neighbor asked to see the puppy. McKayla told the boy "no," and he shot her, Dyer said. A neighbor, Misty Edwards, said her niece was playing with the girl and saw what happened.
http://www.firstpost.com/world/boy-11-kills-8-year-old-us-neighbor-with-gun-2457874.html
Hadn't seen a report of this before - did it happen, what was the disposition?

Last edited:

Ken56

Boy was found guilty and will spend the rest of his childhood in state custody. Neighbors said he was a bully the very first day of moving into the mobile home park they both lived in. There is now a state effort to make access to a firearm by a minor a crime.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
grape is a slow reader...

ipse
Was this posted somewhere on the forum before?

I a m n o t t o o s l o w to g e t t h e m e s s a g e t h o u g h . :uhoh:

I submit for you: I hold up my right hand with fingers extended, then clasping little finger w/thumb and folding the remaining flanking digits, leaving only the one previously surrounded by others. :p

utbagpiper

Banned
And remember, under SCOTUS legislation, no matter how depraved and deliberate the crime, if the person committing it was so much as one day shy of his 18th birthday, not only is capital punishment off the table, but so too is life without parole.

As concerning as that may be, consider on the number of persons in our nation for whom determining exact age may be a bit more challenging that for someone born in a US hospital with an official birth certificate. "Your honor, my client may look like he is 20 years old but his mother swears he is only 17 years and 10 months. She remembers well the night he was born in their small village in Crapholeastan."

Charles

OC for ME

An Oklahoma teen who fired the fatal shot in the 2013 murder of a jogger who was targeted, according to police, because the shooter and two other teens said they were bored, was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison.

http://www.people.com/article/oklahoma-teen-sentenced-to-life-for-bored-murder-of-jogger
Lotts was sentenced in Missouri's St. Francois County Circuit Court in 2002 to life in prison without parole for first-degree murder in his stepbrother's stabbing death.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/08/teens.life.sentence/
Rare cases to be sure.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And remember, under SCOTUS legislation, no matter how depraved and deliberate the crime, if the person committing it was so much as one day shy of his 18th birthday, not only is capital punishment off the table, but so too is life without parole.

As concerning as that may be, consider on the number of persons in our nation for whom determining exact age may be a bit more challenging that for someone born in a US hospital with an official birth certificate. "Your honor, my client may look like he is 20 years old but his mother swears he is only 17 years and 10 months. She remembers well the night he was born in their small village in Crapholeastan."

Charles

Rare cases to be sure.
Tried as an adult, convicted as an adult, the sentence will be served as an adult.

utbagpiper

Banned
Tried as an adult, convicted as an adult, the sentence will be served as an adult.

The only time a minor ever gets a life sentence is when he is tried and convicted as an adult. The Juvi system (generally) has no authority past a person's 18th birthday.

The SCOTUS, in 2005, in Roper v. Simmons,eliminated the juvenile death penalty.

In 2010, in Graham v. Florida, SCOTUS banned life without parole for all crimes other than murder.

In 2012, the SCOTUS extended that ban (life without possibility of parole) to murder in two consolidated cases, Jackson v. Hobbs, No. 10-9647, and Miller v. Alabama, No. 10-9646.

In January this year (2016), the SCOTUS made its 2012 ruling retroactive to defendants who had been sentenced prior to 2012. This affects over 2,000 inmates who are serving life without possibility of parole for crimes (murders) committed before they turned 18. Montgomery v. Louisiana (14-280).

To be fair, the ruling does not actually require that such offenders be released, only that they have access to parole hearings and the possibility of release.

What the ruling does do, is make perfectly clear that there are no guarantees that "life without parole" actually means serving life. With no changes as to the facts of a case, the courts can change the rules and order that the most heinous of murderers be given a chance at release.

Charles