• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2016:SB175:Concealed handgun permits; sharing of information - killed in committee!

TFred

This is so infuriating. How can legislators who are SUPPOSED to represent the best interest of VIRGINIANS possibly kill this bill, when there are DOCUMENTED cases of other state's LEOs misusing this information? This is just as bad as their refusal to stop the "legalized theft" of property from people who have not been convicted of a crime!

AND if I recall correctly, this is a step BACKWARDS. I believe it passed last year, and was VETOED by the Governor. Why was it killed this year?

ETA: YES, last year's bill was passed, but Vetoed. The Governor's veto explanation accused all CHP holders of being criminals.

TFred

Concealed handgun permits; sharing of information. Provides that information on concealed handgun permittees in the Virginia Criminal Information Network shall not be shared with law enforcement in states that do not have reciprocity agreements with Virginia for the carrying of concealed handguns.

Full text:
12/31/15 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/16 16100885D pdf | impact statement

12/31/15 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/16 16100885D
12/31/15 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
01/20/16 Senate: Reported from Courts of Justice (8-Y 5-N)
01/25/16 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed (39-Y 0-N)
01/26/16 Senate: Read second time and engrossed
01/27/16 Senate: Read third time and passed Senate (28-Y 12-N)
02/03/16 House: Placed on Calendar
02/03/16 House: Read first time
02/03/16 House: Referred to Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
02/26/16 House: Assigned MPPS sub: #1
03/04/16 House: Stricken from docket by Militia, Police and Public Safety by voice vote

Last edited:

TFred

Here's the explanation / update on this from this evening's VA-ALERT from VCDL.

TFred

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT archives: http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/=now
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today the last of the pro-gun bills that is not on it’s way to the Governor’s desk died in committee.

SB175, Senator Stuart, prohibited Virginia from sharing CHP info with states that don’t honor Virginia CHPs.

This bill blasted out of the Senate with a veto-proof (assuming it would hold) majority (28 to 12). I expected it to blast out of the House similarly.

Early this week I checked on the status of the bill, only to find it was still awaiting a hearing in the Militia, Police, and Public Safety committee!

I immediately contacted the committee chairman, Delegate Scott Lingamfelter, to see what was going on.

It turned out there were some problems with the bill that had been discovered. I was skeptical, but when I heard the objections, I had to agree that the bill went beyond what it was intended to do because of some bad wording. I told Delegate Lingamfelter we would get him a substitute bill that fixed the problems. I also contacted Senator Stuart, who was unaware of the flaws in his bill.

I contacted EM, and lawyer, John Pierce to draft a substitute bill that fixed the problems. In less than a day, John produced an excellent bill that I immediately got to Lingamfelter, Stuart, and other members of the committee.

However, this morning Senator Stuart asked that the bill be struck for this year because the rewording could cause possible political complications in the Senate.

Lingamfelter and Stuart both liked John’s wording and both vowed that the bill would be reintroduced with John’s wording next year.

Hopefully we will close the loophole on CHP information next year.

There are still another SEVEN pro-gun bills on the Governor’s desk. The fate of a few of them will be known next week. The rest possibly not until mid-April.

Oh, there are NO anti-gun bills alive and haven’t been since crossover a couple of weeks ago.

Stay tuned….

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]