Thread: Quillette, A platform for free thought. How To Have An Opinion Worth Hearing

Quillette, A platform for free thought. How To Have An Opinion Worth Hearing

Surprisingly, I think many folks underestimate what they would need to do in order to gestate a truly informed opinion. Itís a tall task, to be sure, but Iíve devised a simple instrument that might help. Below is checklist that can be consulted prior to formulating an opinion and unleashing it on the rest of us.

I. Understand Causality
    [ ... ]
    A former professor of mine at Florida State University, Gary Kleck, has made a career studying guns. In a recent paper reviewing prior evidence on guns and the overall crime rate, Gary pointed out that studies that do a poor job controlling for confounders (this is another way of saying they do less of a good job dealing with spuriousness) typically find gun effects. More rigorously controlled studies do not.
    [ ... ]
    II. Be politically and religiously agnostic when forming your opinion.
    [ ... ]
    III. Willingness to be wrong
    [ ... ]
    Brian Boutwell is an Associate Professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Saint Louis University.

http://quillette.com/2016/03/03/how-...worth-hearing/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

As a final point, donít forget that a good opinion does not have to even be correct, necessarily.
    Wanting us to select the very best wrong opinion?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Wanting us to select the very best wrong opinion?
    A good error is better than a bad question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A good error is better than a bad question.
    Based on the author's reasoning a opinion is past the questioning stage.

Then again, is it possible to have a impeccable question, that results in a good error, that is the foundation of a totally wrong opinion? Is my question confounding?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Opinions are not the result of logic. Conclusions are the result of applying a syllogism to premises. Opinions themselves have no inherent truth value, like normative and prescriptive statements.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    You may be right for all the wrong reasons. Or you may be wrong for all the right reasons. Either way, there are other reasons we don't know exist that can effect outcomes. An unknown quantifier.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Opinions are not the result of logic. Conclusions are the result of applying a syllogism to premises. Opinions themselves have no inherent truth value, like normative and prescriptive statements.
    I detect a declarative statement/sentence.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.Ē Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius
    Hmm...

Sounds like that is your opinion.

I, personally, prefer to base my opinions on facts and logic.

No, I do not that 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius
    Hmm...
    Please provide a citation to the source.

The wonderful thing about e-pubs is that they are usually searchable. I searched my Casaubon's edition for opinion, truth, and perspective, but did not find them nearby each other, indeed, perspective did not occur at all.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

The wonderful thing about e-pubs is that they are usually searchable. I searched my Casaubon's edition for opinion, truth, and perspective, but did not find them nearby each other, indeed, perspective did not occur at all.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...ure143088.html

See if that works.....

Who actually said it, who knows......
    Last edited by color of law; 03-07-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    See if that works.....Who actually said it, who knows......
    See, that is quite the problem. If Marcus Aurelius' purpose in writing Meditations was known, even if one had not read any of the twelve books, that illiterate attribution would ring hollow. On line compendiums of quotations without citation of chapter and verse (and line number) are worse than useless.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled boob-tube programming.

Is your access to google effing broke?!?!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30659.Meditations

Now, there is no guarantee that any of the writings contained within the book are actually Marcus Aurelius' words...they could've be the words of some copy editor trying to make a buck...back in 2006.

LOL. I trust the Wikipedia more than Goodreads or Brainyquote. I trust Wikimedia enough to pay to support them and to edit errors that I find. The others are impervious to corrections. They are not 'sources' anymore than is deFacedbook, TTAG, or, for that matter OCDO.

Oh, and I don't use G00gle.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-08-2016 at 09:25 AM.

LOL. I trust the Wikipedia more than Goodreads or Brainyquote. I trust Wikimedia enough to pay to support them and to edit errors that I find. The others are impervious to corrections. They are not 'sources' anymore than is deFacedbook, TTAG, or, for that matter OCDO.

and why higher educational institutes ban cites from wikixxxx in their student's scholarly work.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Then you must not use Amazon et al. either.