Thread: West Virginia legislature overrides veto, legalizes all gun carry without permits

Moderator / Administrator

West Virginia legislature overrides veto, legalizes all gun carry without permits

Note: This means that West Virginia will be the 8th state to eliminate the requirement to have a permit to carry concealed handguns in public; see current "constitutional carry" map at http://www.opencarry.org/maps/constitutional-carry.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/WVa...370951091.html

SNIP

UPDATE 3/5/16 @ 10:15 a.m.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The W.Va. Senate has voted to override Governor Tomblin's veto on the conceal carry bill.

In a 23-11 vote Saturday morning, the Senate voted to override the veto.

This comes just a day after the house voted to override the bill.

The bill now becomes law in 90 days.

The bill will do away with the state’s current permit and training program to carry a concealed weapon in West Virginia for anyone ages 21 and older. Permits will be required for those between 18-21.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Note: This means that West Virginia will be the 8th state to eliminate the requirement to have a permit to carry concealed handguns in public; see current "constitutional carry" map at http://www.opencarry.org/maps/constitutional-carry. ...
    Is this true constitutional carry, or is it like Wyoming, where it applies only to state residents?

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Y'all are lucky. Usually asking oppressors for rights doesn't work.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

State Researcher
    That is awesome. Congrats.

And thank you to the good citizens of West Virginia for your work to get this done.

It is often hard to get State legislatures (or congress) to do something new. But every State that moves to permit-free carry is making it that much easier for the next State to make that move. Those States are also helping to build the case for what is considered normal in the nation. The federal courts tend to take notice of such things as they decide on cases.

So thank you. And again, Congrats.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Y'all are lucky. Usually asking oppressors for rights doesn't work.
    Guess that's why in WV their motto is "Mountaineer's are always free..."

BB62,

Any person, who is not other wise prohibited, and is 21 years old or older, may now carry concealed in West Virginia.

I shared this information with a friend who is a cop in California. I was actually quite surprised by his reaction- it was not very supportive. Comments like 'they need the proper training' 'what if someone shoots a petty thief' etc...... As I said, I was surprised by his comments, but I was also thinking that maybe they need to take some of their own advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 325rto View Post
    I shared this information with a friend who is a cop in California. I was actually quite surprised by his reaction- it was not very supportive. Comments like 'they need the proper training' 'what if someone shoots a petty thief' etc...... As I said, I was surprised by his comments, but I was also thinking that maybe they need to take some of their own advice.
    I don't know of too many LEO who are supportive of the measure. I have several "friends" in law enforcement and they all have the same attitude and the attitude of having to approach everyone as being armed. My response was, aren't you supposed to "assume" anyone is armed until proven otherwise? Why do they pat people down?

I just fell in love with West Virginia a little bit more.....great job Mountaineers!!! Ok, Virginians! Now it's our turn!

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    why would you be surprised? 1) it's Commiefornia and 2) he's a cop! Why would he actually support something that limits his power and increases the power to the People?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Ask you friend if he has ever heard of any cop shooting a "petty thief." Then ask him if he knows how to use Google to find the answer.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

When using Google......

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Ask you friend if he has ever heard of any cop shooting a "petty thief." Then ask him if he knows how to use Google to find the answer.
    I have found this Google tool quite useful for situations like the one you describe.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=law+enforcement...y+thief%22&l=1

It lends a bit of humor to the discussion as well.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Shallnotbeinfringed View Post
    BB62,

Any person, who is not other wise prohibited, and is 21 years old or older, may now carry concealed in West Virginia.
    Thank you kindly, sir.

Concealed OR open, though, right?

Article from paper

Here's an article from one of the papers in Charleston....

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/03/07/co...d-does-not-do/

In my area by the time you travel 10 miles you have ventured between WV and VA at least 4 times (Mercer/Tazewell counties). I'd hate to think that some VA LEO would start stopping WV vehicles more now in attempts to check for unlicensed CCW, but I guess it is possible....

i will read the article again, but i did not see any mention nor stipulation on OC.

that stated, i am not intimately familiar with the WV OC criteria as i just normally pass through to the Buckeye state.

ipse

your pamphlet is from 2012 and w/new legislation requires updating...

http://carsontech.webs.com/Gun%20Law...%208-23-12.pdf
    Last edited by solus; 03-07-2016 at 04:12 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Wow! What great bi-partisans.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/03...ncealed-carry/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

As 90 days have past, it is now legal to carry concealed?

Hoping for confirmation before taking any chances, I do openly carry as often as possible, but want to know for sure that the new law is in fact effective.

Thanks...
    Greg

Semper Paratus -- latin, Always Prepaired

It went into effect on May 24th.

Consider following the WVCDL page on facebook. OpenCarry.org is great, but for WV specific topics, the WVCDL facebook page is more current and has more activity.