• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada CFP law violates federal law.

Jared

Has anyone ever noticed that the law for a Nevada permit violates federal law (Section 7 of the Privacy Act) by requiring a SSN.

Not only is it illegal but it's illegal for them to solicit you SSN without mentioning that it's voluntary.

Has anyone ever pushed this issue?

I remember Stollenwork sued Pennsylvania over this exact issue. I also believe someone brought this up in Nebraska and the AG instructed the state to not mandate an SSN as they would be guilty of violating the Privacy Act.

jfrey123

Interesting. I'm not up on Federal laws as much as I am the Nevada Revised Statutes. I couldn't remember putting my SSN on the Washoe County app, but I just checked their PDF online and sure enough it's there without any mention of optional as you suggest it should be.

There's also this clause in the legal jargon at the end: "This authorization and request is given freely and without duress, voluntarily waiving any protection against unauthorized disclosure of information under the Privacy Act and any other legal provisions..." So it would be a little too late for someone who already applied and signed to raise a huge fuss about their case specifically.

http://www.washoesheriff.com/resources/files/2015 CCWAPPLICATIONS.pdf

Jared

Interesting. I'm not up on Federal laws as much as I am the Nevada Revised Statutes. I couldn't remember putting my SSN on the Washoe County app, but I just checked their PDF online and sure enough it's there without any mention of optional as you suggest it should be.

There's also this clause in the legal jargon at the end: "This authorization and request is given freely and without duress, voluntarily waiving any protection against unauthorized disclosure of information under the Privacy Act and any other legal provisions..." So it would be a little too late for someone who already applied and signed to raise a huge fuss about their case specifically.

http://www.washoesheriff.com/resources/files/2015 CCWAPPLICATIONS.pdf

The clause doesn't matter. Section 7 of the Privacy Act of 1974 is very clear, they can't force you to waive it. It's not legally possible.

Each sheriff and each person who is processing the application is actually committing a federal misdemeanor. Acting within state law is not a defense to a violation of federal law.