Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me not to buy this hand cannon....

Convince me not to buy this hand cannon....

I stopped by the LGS on Saturday with the intention of practicing a bit, but the place was absolutely mobbed. I ended up just wandering around for an hour looking at the used section and some of the other stuff I hadn't seen before.

I found THREE of these in their "used" case with the bands still on the grips. They had one stainless Compact, a standard in black, and I think one of the two tone standard size also. http://www.coonaninc.com/pistol-showroom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	port-com-ss-swg_A.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	13018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	port-cla-ttdc-bag_A.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	13017

I originally passed them by glancing at the price tag and assumed they were an Ed Brown or some other high end 1911. I did take a closer look and noticed it looked funny, (larger grip, huge ejection port) and then I noticed ".357 magnum" on the side.... I had never even heard of it so I looked them up when I got home.

To keep it short and sweet, I'm seriously considering buying one just because it's a semi-auto .357 mag. There really is no other good reason to buy one other than that it's really cool. I'm sure many others can relate. It's really too big to carry comfortably, and regular practice would end in carpel tunnel eventually. Everything I can find online says that they were really well made and had very few if any feed problems. The only negative I saw was that even with the lighter (supplied) recoil spring, .38 +p was not very reliable. Oh, and price. I think the compact they had tagged for $1300.

I've wanted one for 30 years. I love their ad:

"It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Activist Member
    I'd take the bottom one in the black and silver. That is one powerful pistol I must say! I be bent between buying another 1911 .45ACP or this beauty for a 357 magnum carry round.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

I'm somewhat of a newbie, but it wouldn't be my first gun. I have a 9mm and i'm perfectly comfortable shooting 45 and love the 1911. I have shot .357 mag in a revolver so I have an idea of what to expect. Honestly, I would certainly still be careful the first time out with it.

I do love that ad though. I may have to go take a closer look and get it in my hands to see how it feels. I swore my next purchase would be all SS, but I'm not sure I like the compact that much.

Founder's Club Member
    Convince me not to buy this hand cannon....
    OK. Don't buy it.

If you want a hand-cannon for coolness factor, you want a S&W 629 with a 3" barrel (.44 mag, stainless). Or, even better, a Ruger Alaskan. And, those are little cannons. Plenty of serious gunners consider anything under .454 Casull a wanna-be.

Full disclosure: I ain't in that class. I'm a wuss. No .44 mag for me. Been there, done that. Ouch.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    OK. Don't buy it.

If you want a hand-cannon for coolness factor, you want a S&W 629 with a 3" barrel (.44 mag, stainless). Or, even better, a Ruger Alaskan. And, those are little cannons. Plenty of serious gunners consider anything under .454 Casull a wanna-be.

Full disclosure: I ain't in that class. I'm a wuss. No .44 mag for me. Been there, done that. Ouch.
    Hah! That's not very convincing...

Somehow I see myself parting with a significant sum of money in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    ...The only negative I saw was that even with the lighter (supplied) recoil spring, .38 +p was not very reliable...
    Think about it. This ain't a plinker. Would you EVER want to shoot .38's through it? No...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Think about it. This ain't a plinker. Would you EVER want to shoot .38's through it? No...
    Exactly why that really doesn't make much difference to me. It's a big round though. Why would I want to put it in a small gun? [emoji57]

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adk_mechetech View Post
    Hah! That's not very convincing...

Somehow I see myself parting with a significant sum of money in the near future.

Somehow, I suspected it wouldn't be.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

If you want a 357 buy good S@W or Ruger revolver you well be a lot happier
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    If you want a 357 buy good S@W or Ruger revolver you well be a lot happier
    You are referring to one of those titanium/scandium j-frame sized beauties, right?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_N

want me to bring my 11.4 oz one skid so you can drool?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_N

want me to bring my 11.4 oz one skid so you can drool?

ipse
    Skid salivates, I drool - but not so much at the current advertised price = $1,019.00 !! Dayam!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Well,,,

the conan is not a canon,,, this is a canon..

8 inch wildey survivor 45 winchester magnum
    One Mag, One Pistol, the 2 brand new boxes of factory rounds.

Last edited by 1245A Defender; 03-08-2016 at 06:15 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

That is a nice gun, I'm just not a revolver guy. Besides, a lot of the draw for me is that it IS semiautomatic. It just shouldn't be, but there it is and it just works. It's the novelty. Granted an expensive one, but still...

A foole and his monie be soone at debate,
    which after with sorrow repents him too late.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    You are referring to one of those titanium/scandium j-frame sized beauties, right?

stay safe.
    They are great to carry but a real pain in the hand to shoot with full house mag loads.

I carry +p 38s in my small frame 357.

My TI 41 mag is enough also.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    They are great to carry but a real pain in the hand to shoot with full house mag loads.

I carry +p 38s in my small frame 357.

My TI 41 mag is enough also.
    If you ever NEED to shoot it you will never notice any recoil.

Well, not until some time later.

Practice with those things should not be bullseye shooting at 25 yards but half-hip point shooting at a max of 2 yards.

The really nice thing about small revolvers is that they do not go out of battery when pushed up into abdominal/thoratic area. Nor do they suffer from FTE/FTF problems.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    If you ever NEED to shoot it you will never notice any recoil.

Well, not until some time later.

Practice with those things should not be bullseye shooting at 25 yards but half-hip point shooting at a max of 2 yards.

The really nice thing about small revolvers is that they do not go out of battery when pushed up into abdominal/thoratic area. Nor do they suffer from FTE/FTF problems.

stay safe.
    I don't know about that I used to carry my light weight 357 as my running gun. One afternoon while out on my normal 10 K run about a mile into the run a coyote ran across the road about 200 yards in front of me. I drew the revolver as I came to the spot where they coyote had crossed I noticed him standing in the woods facing me. I took aim and doubled action a round off. The 125jhp at 900fps took him at the base of throat and traveled into his body taking his spine out.

I then paced of the distance for 32 steps approximately 30 yards.

I also shot another one at a measured 49 yards with a 3.5 in 9mm.

I used my Ti 41 to kill a nice buck at 60 plus yards but that has a full 4 inches of sight radius .

As seen short barreled handguns can be used at distances further than a few yards if the shooter is up to it.

Ahh, a 'shooting match made in heaven, if they're up to it.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

On the subject of the 11-ounce .357 Magnum revolvers, I had one. I shot it a lot. Recoil doesn't bother me, but it does have effects. The recoil is so severe on this little revolver with Magnum loads that it absolutely will affect how well you shoot it, even if just how quickly, which is a critical factor in self-defense shootings. I carried mine with 4 .38 +P's and the last round a .357 Magnum.

If you have/get one of these, make sure you understand the special warning in the manual about testing your ammunition for bullet crimping. The lighter the revolver, the greater the recoil impulse (rate of change of acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity, which is the rate of change of position, for us geeks). While Federal Hydra-Shok 158-grain never broke a crimp, I would routinely see broken crimps and longer ammunition with other loads, including non+P .38's; obviously, I carried it with ammo that tested stable.

Do not put boot grips on it. I bought a beautiful pair of Goncalo Alves for mine. I fired off a cylinder of the aforementioned Hydra-Shoks. Because my fingers were down behind the trigger guard instead of below it, that super fast recoil impulse drove the trigger guard into my finger and chipped the bone. You can't make this up. It affected my hand for three months.

Later, the gun exploded with a factory Hornady .38. We were shooting in the desert. After a half-hour search, no parts of the top strap or cylinder could be found. With no way to prove it wasn't a reload, S&W at first refused to do anything except offer me another one at a few bucks off MSRP (still above street price). After 18 months of negotiating, I received an okay deal, but I picked a different revolver. I still don't know what happened, but there's no way I can trust a titanium cylinder again.

Considering that the 357 is a rimmed cartridge, and it's length in grip, personally I would pass on it. Especially since it costs as much as a custom 357 sig which will feed better, and loaded properly the same performance. Then there is the 38 super +P, 9X23 Remington, as well as the hot 45 ammo that will feed reliable, and not have a elongated grip.

But that is just me, and you should not base your wants on my choices. Want it? Go for it!
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I think the Coonan's greatest appeal is the cool factor of its still-maintained uniqueness, combined with it being a rebirth of a design which was quite pioneering at the time it first came out, as it actually filled a power gap then. As one of the pioneers of all-stainless steel pistols, they had issues of slide galling at first, but I think they mostly addressed that with different alloys, and many makers of the day learned from their early mistake, most notably S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    On the subject of the 11-ounce .357 Magnum revolvers, I had one. I shot it a lot. Recoil doesn't bother me, but it does have effects. The recoil is so severe on this little revolver with Magnum loads that it absolutely will affect how well you shoot it, even if just how quickly, which is a critical factor in self-defense shootings. I carried mine with 4 .38 +P's and the last round a .357 Magnum.

If you have/get one of these, make sure you understand the special warning in the manual about testing your ammunition for bullet crimping. The lighter the revolver, the greater the recoil impulse (rate of change of acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity, which is the rate of change of position, for us geeks). While Federal Hydra-Shok 158-grain never broke a crimp, I would routinely see broken crimps and longer ammunition with other loads, including non+P .38's; obviously, I carried it with ammo that tested stable.

Do not put boot grips on it. I bought a beautiful pair of Goncalo Alves for mine. I fired off a cylinder of the aforementioned Hydra-Shoks. Because my fingers were down behind the trigger guard instead of below it, that super fast recoil impulse drove the trigger guard into my finger and chipped the bone. You can't make this up. It affected my hand for three months.

Later, the gun exploded with a factory Hornady .38. We were shooting in the desert. After a half-hour search, no parts of the top strap or cylinder could be found. With no way to prove it wasn't a reload, S&W at first refused to do anything except offer me another one at a few bucks off MSRP (still above street price). After 18 months of negotiating, I received an okay deal, but I picked a different revolver. I still don't know what happened, but there's no way I can trust a titanium cylinder again.
    I have heard no complaints on the boards for Buffalo Bore ammo, but it is stout, and expensive. They sell a 38/44 loading which will not have the recoil of a 357 due to less powder to achieve pressure/velocity. They are over a buck a round.

I load for a Rossi 352(J frame) with 138gn Bayou Bullets wadcutters at 900fps out of the 352. That is plenty for self defense, I would not carry it for hunting though. I am not a fan of big booms, and wrist breaking recoil, even for fun shooting. So my loads tend to be tailored for the job I am using them for. That said I do have 38/44 bear loads, 158gn Bayou semi wadcutter at 1300fps from a 4 inch GP100. Less powder in the shorter case means less recoil, but still stout. These are not double action combat loads but the type for deliberate placement single action.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I am not a Glock fanboi, but this would be my choice. Glock 20, LW 40S&W barrel, LW 357sig barrel. Both my wife and I have Glock 22 but I prefer to carry a revolver most times. She does not like the recoil of the 22, so it is not her first choice. She prefers my Star Super A, but I have put it to the back of the safe. Great gun, but parts are hard to find.

She has small hands I doubt she could shoot the Coonan.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast