• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lobbying ??

drewf

For the bills sitting on or about to go to the Governor's desk, is there anything that can be done to increase the chances of signature.

Specifically I'm thinking about HB 560 - Brandishing. Will the Governor sign it? Should I call? Are there other bills that have a chance?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes, call his office. Short and sweet message encouraging him to sign.

Some aide will put a check mark in the Y or N column and pass him the report of which way the wind is blowing.

Some folks think a 30-second phone call is not worth much. That's not true.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Of course it makes a difference. Sometimes huge, sometimes not as much.

Consider the alternative, doing nothing. That is tantamount to abandoning the field of battle before the fight has begun. Don't leave it to Mikey to do it.
In order of effectiveness: email, snail mail, phone call, personal visit, and developing a positive relationship with members of the general assembly.

By subscribing to VCDL's Va-Alert, you will be notified of major action that needs attention.

Consider joining VCDL, the best grassroots organization in the country.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
All good answ3rs. Of course his mind is 95% made up long ago...but he can be influenced l. Skidmark and Grapeshot gave the down and dirty method.

solus

The order of effectiveness is well correlated with the ease of dismissal; e-mail (delete), telephone call (lie/hang up), USPS (postcard, first class letter, certified-return-receipt-required), and positive personal relationship is the order that I was taught.

GRGRSC's favorite weapon was synchronized mass-mailing of brightly colored postcards. We would go by the outer offices in the Statehouse to see desks over-flowing with thousands of cards obviously ours. 3000 was a typical response.

as stated previously...this group is a 'WAS' entity pure and simple

as Ms Jackson stated, "what have you done for me LAT.. LY?" said as Ms Jackson dances emulating the final dance scene in Michael's famous 'Thriller' .

ipse