• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Specifically, in what PUBLICLY OWNED zoos in your state can one carry?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'm currently engaged in a lawsuit against the St. Louis Zoo: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...TRO-filing-status-legal-financial-help-needed

It would be helpful for me to provide a specific list to my attorney ASAP - of publicly-owned zoos where carry is legal.

Would knowledgeable people please list the publicly-owned zoos where carry is legal in your state, and if possible, provide a link to the Zoo's website?

THANK YOU.

Prior, helpful thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?131500-In-your-state-can-you-carry-in-a-PUBLIC-Zoo

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have combed through the prior, non-specific thread, and will pick up what I can from there, but PLEASE LIST zoos here that may not have been listed there.

Thank you.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

I'm told the Denver Zoo allows it, but they won't publish their policy very visibly. I'm of the understanding that they will fax it to somebody upon request. But that information is a few years old. I can say that I've found nothing on their site about firearms at all, and I don't recall any signs from my last visit (about two years ago).

JoeSparky

Centurion
http://www.hoglezoo.org/

The above is the link to a zoo in the State of Utah, it is a part of the Salt Lake County Parks system and is supported in part by the ZAP tax (for Zoo, Arts, and Parks). As a subunit of the Government they are prohibited by state law from having or enforcing ANY rule, law, regulation, or policy inhibiting the carry, possession, or ownership of firearms.

Several years ago I have personally OPEN CARRIED without objection or harassment from any zoo employee or patron!

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'm told the Denver Zoo allows it, but they won't publish their policy very visibly. I'm of the understanding that they will fax it to somebody upon request. But that information is a few years old. I can say that I've found nothing on their site about firearms at all, and I don't recall any signs from my last visit (about two years ago).
Is the Denver Zoo public, and what are the laws in CO regarding CC or OC in public buildings?

Thank you, and thanks to JoeSparky also.

solus

Is the Denver Zoo public, and what are the laws in CO regarding CC or OC in public buildings?

Thank you, and thanks to JoeSparky also.

BB62, the Denver zoo is located in the county and city of Denver proper which is, as discussed on this forum till the pigs came home and were made into bacon, a NO OC county & city.

decided judicially in 2003: just one part presented.
DRMC §39-9 prohibiting firearms in parks:A. Remains valid and enforceable by the City in regard to all firearms other than concealed handguns carried with a permit, and is not preempted by C.R.S. §29-11.7-103 (2003);

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Media/Opinion_Docs/03cv3809order.pdf

ipse

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
BB62, the Denver zoo is located in the county and city of Denver proper which is, as discussed on this forum till the pigs came home and were made into bacon, a NO OC county & city.

decided judicially in 2003: just one part presented.
DRMC §39-9 prohibiting firearms in parks:A. Remains valid and enforceable by the City in regard to all firearms other than concealed handguns carried with a permit, and is not preempted by C.R.S. §29-11.7-103 (2003);

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Media/Opinion_Docs/03cv3809order.pdf

ipse
Okay, so what about CC in zoo buildings?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
2/30/2015 10:14:12 AM MST

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29325756/denver-museum-nature-amp-science-drops-concealed-carry which states in passing:

quote: Scholz said the decision also aligned the museum with its peers at the Denver Art Museum and Denver Zoo, which already allow concealed carry.

whew...what a pain to find current information.

that work for ya?

ipse
As you may, or may not know, the reason I've asked for help on threads such as these is that I need it. Many hands make light work.

That work for you?

solus

As you may, or may not know, the reason I've asked for help on threads such as these is that I need it. Many hands make light work.

That work for you?

no, the comment did that info work for you, and presented from a 'did that short blimp in the newspaper meet your need or do i need to search further' type of comment.....i am aware of your need, why i assisted...

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
no, the comment did that info work for you, and presented from a 'did that short blimp in the newspaper meet your need or do i need to search further' type of comment.....i am aware of your need, why i assisted...

ipse
Yes, thank you, it works for me. It would have worked even better without the "whew...what a pain to find current information" comment.

If you're of a mind to help further, I could really use specific information such as all the publicly-owned zoos in FL, and specifically elsewhere (iow, other specific zoos in other states) where state preemption means that one can carry in government owned buildings.

Thank you.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
For Georgia, any and all Publicly Owned zoos per OCGA 16-11-173 which gives the state preemption and 16-11-127 which lists the unauthorized locations.
Thank you, but again, I simply can't do all the research required in the allotted time - which is why I've asked those with such knowledge to specifically identify publicly owned zoos where carry is legal.