• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Activist Shot by Her 4-Year-Old Son After He Grabs Gun From Back Seat of Her

Law abider

Pro-Gun Activist Shot by Her 4-Year-Old Son After He Grabs Gun From Back Seat

Pro-gun activist and mother Jamie Gilt was accidentally shot in the back by her 4-year-old son. The accident happened after the child picked up a pistol that was lying on the back seat of his Gilt’s truck. Gilt, who runs several pro-firearms social media accounts, was driving through Jacksonville, Florida, Tuesday when her son picked up a .45 semiautomatic handgun from the back seat, pointed it toward Gilt and pulled the trigger. The bullet pierced through the front seat and passed through Gilt’s body.

We may be 'experts' but accidents still happen. Respect the gun folks, repeat respect the gun. It shown no discretion.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...unty-deputy-son-4-shot-her-back-while-she-was

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Why was the gun left on the seat? Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully she answers that, but just to take a guess the gun slipped from the holster and ended up in the back passenger compartment. Probably on the floor board. It could have also fallen from the holster while putting the child in the back seat.

Last edited:

Law abider

Hopefully she answers that, but just to take a guess the gun slipped from the holster and ended up in the back passenger compartment. Probably on the floor board. It could have also fallen from the holster while putting the child in the back seat.

More fodder for the anti gunners to push for more regulations such as more training till the cows come home, or a case against 2A. May be it should have been holstered, secured and on her person away from the kid who probably plays video games where if he gets shot dead rises again because he has accumulated 100 live points. Or plain simple a 4 year old may be a bit too young to comprehend that a gun is deadly. How did he cock the hammer?? Isn't the hammer stiff enough?

WalkingWolf

More fodder for the anti gunners to push for more regulations such as more training till the cows come home, or a case against 2A. May be it should have been holstered, secured and on her person away from the kid who probably plays video games where if he gets shot dead rises again because he has accumulated 100 live points. Or plain simple a 4 year old may be a bit too young to comprehend that a gun is deadly. How did he cock the hammer?? Isn't the hammer stiff enough?

I would imagine the compact 1911 was cocked, and locked. She should have been paying attention to her gun. This is what happens when people get to comfortable carrying. There should always be a level of high awareness, especially when safety is concerned. I could be wrong but I doubt she left the gun on the back seat.

solus

forgive the observation, but shouldn't the 4yo child been strapped into a child car seat and the ones i have seen it is difficult for young children properly buckled in and occuping these seats to even reach the back/bottom of the seat immediately next to them?

ah, article quote: “There was a booster seat in the back of the vehicle, but however the boy was not strapped in when the deputy got to them,” Wells said.

He said investigators are trying to determine whether the child was fastened to the booster seat at the time of the shooting. unquote

of course this from the article: quote: Less than a day earlier, a Facebook post, which may belong to the victim, talked of letting a 4-year-old boy shoot targets. unquote there was already a familiarization with the firearm. He said the Department of Children and Families has been contacted but the shooting is being investigated as accidental.

“We’re satisfied that this is not a criminal shooting,” Wells said.unquote.

i am glad the victim will recover, now let her pay for the hospitalization out of pocket...for her carelessness.

ipse

solus

Negligence, reckless negligence, not "carelessness" (scare-quotes). It's like the difference between zero-tolerance and thoughtlessness.

sorry but based on my M&W thesaurus found at: http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/carelessness
carelessness
noun
Synonyms and Antonyms of carelessness
failure to take the care that a cautious person usually takes...
Synonyms negligence, ....

Scare quotes, as quotation marks employed for this purpose are called, are often used to call out nonstandard or unusual terms, or merely to introduce a word or phrase. However, although this strategy used to be common, scare quotes have taken on a new role that has largely, at least among careful writers, supplanted the old technique: Now, they are better employed to convey derision, irony, or skepticism. unquote http://www.dailywritingtips.com/3-erroneous-uses-of-scare-quotes/

now being the wiki expert, holding everything stated there as gospel:

quote: Scare quotes, shudder quotes, or sneer quotes are quotation marks placed around a word or phrase to signal that a term is being used in a non-standard, ironic, or otherwise special sense. They may be used to imply that a particular expression is not necessarily how the author would have worded a concept. Scare quotes may serve a function similar to verbally preceding a phrase with the expression "so-called", they may imply skepticism or disagreement, belief that the words are mis-used, or that the writer intends a meaning opposite to the words enclosed in quotes.

unquote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes

now you may project and split hairs using your exemplary linguistic interpretation on how i truly, and really meant the use of quotes around the word carelessness, or its synonym negligence...and whether the word was to be used as an introductory concept, non-standard, iconic, expressing skepticism, etc., or for you and only you...in a special sense.

ipse

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
More fodder for the anti gunners to push for more regulations such as more training till the cows come home, or a case against 2A.

The antis will use every incident, no matter how rare or disconnected from law abiding gun owners to push their agenda.

If we adopted their strategy when it comes to highway safety we'd have followed up on Nixon/Carter's double nickel with a nationwide maximum speed limit of 25 mph and re-enacting Prohibition. And when that didn't end all automobile related deaths we'd have just banned all cars.

The antis hate and fear guns. Many of them hate and fear gun owners. They hate the idea that gun owners represent an ill-defined, but undeniable check against absolute government power.

The fact that ten thousand persons died in car crashes last year for every person accidentally shot by their toddler is entirely irrelevant to those whose religion is to disarm us.

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

And our RKBA are not dependent on 100% perfect behavior from 100% of gun owners. The Jonestown Massacre isn't justification for infringing the free exercise of religion. The relative rare libel or slander case isn't just cause to infringe freedom of the press. OJ walking free is the price of living in a free society that respects our rights, NOT evidence that we should toss the constitutional protections afforded the accused.

The very small number of ND's (or accidental shootings) in this nation are not reason for anyone to attack our RKBA.

They will use them as fodder. We simply have to respond properly.

May be it should have been holstered, secured and on her person away from the kid who probably plays video games where if he gets shot dead rises again because he has accumulated 100 live points. Or plain simple a 4 year old may be a bit too young to comprehend that a gun is deadly. How did he cock the hammer?? Isn't the hammer stiff enough?

As WalkingWolf has posited, I'd guess the gun fell out of a holster rather than being deliberately placed on the back seat.

And we should never assume that a young child is too young, or too weak to get a given gun to discharge...or to escape from a car seat or seat belt.

Load up a semi-auto handgun with snap caps, find a young child, and offer some suitable price if he can figure out how to rack the slide. Then see how quickly he figures out that placing his weight on the handle as the front of the gun rests on a step or edge of chair, gets him that prize. Even if it takes him 20 or 30 minutes, ask yourself how long a child of that age often goes unsupervised in the safety of his own home.

We need to be cautious. Matches, sharp knives, soldering torches, long electrical cords attached to hot fry pans, chemicals, and firearms, must be kept secured from young children who have not demonstrated full and proper understanding and proper, safe gun handling.

Charles

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
i am glad the victim will recover, now let her pay for the hospitalization out of pocket...for her carelessness.

Absolutely...as soon as YOUR insurance gets to deny coverage to you for any injury (personal or property) that can be attributed to your negligence or carelessness rather than being caused by something entirely out of your control.

It is one thing to learn from the mistakes of others so as to avoid repeating them.

It is quite another to be petty, vindictive, and frankly cowardly and to throw one of our own under the bus.

The liberals say, "No enemies to the left." And it works for them.

Gun owners (and conservatives) are far too quick to throw their own to wolves so as to save their own individual hide. It is disgusting.

The woman (or someone else who left a loaded gun in the back seat) made a mistake. A serious mistake. It was stupid and preventable. We ought to be very grateful the outcome was not more serious.

But does that single mistake erase all the good she has done so much that small and petty minds would want to have her punished more?

The gun grabbers hope child services finds cause against her for letting a child shoot a gun (and owning a gun). Solus hopes to impose significant financial hardship by denying insurance coverage for her medical treatments.

With friends like solus who needs gun grabbers.

Charles

solus

Absolutely...as soon as YOUR insurance gets to deny coverage to you for any injury (personal or property) that can be attributed to your negligence or carelessness rather than being caused by something entirely out of your control.
It is one thing to learn from the mistakes of others so as to avoid repeating them.
It is quite another to be petty, vindictive, and frankly cowardly and to throw one of our own under the bus.
The liberals say, "No enemies to the left." And it works for them.
Gun owners (and conservatives) are far too quick to throw their own to wolves so as to save their own individual hide. It is disgusting.
The woman (or someone else who left a loaded gun in the back seat) made a mistake. A serious mistake. It was stupid and preventable. We ought to be very grateful the outcome was not more serious.
But does that single mistake erase all the good she has done so much that small and petty minds would want to have her punished more?
The gun grabbers hope child services finds cause against her for letting a child shoot a gun (and owning a gun). Solus hopes to impose significant financial hardship by denying insurance coverage for her medical treatments.
With friends like solus who needs gun grabbers.
Charles

one of our own? sorry, insurance companies routine decline payment regularly when someone's act IS attributed (real or perceived) to their negligence or carelessness!!

out of their control? sorry mate, now you sound like mother's against everything spewing propaganda..but, but the weapon just walked over and laid down on the vehicle's backseat next to my possibly unbuckled 4yo ...then, oh dear... (dubbing tear or two and a sniffle for effect) then...the firearm magically jumped into the toddler's hands and bloody h3ll discharged all by itself.

out of their control where on earth did you come up with that savant thought? rather than being caused by something entirely out of their control ~ they should stand up and accept accountability for 1) possibly not buckling their toddler in! 2) laying the firearm in the backseat in the first place within reach of said toddler!!!

mate, this event could have been a tragic lesson to learn...and a child could have ended up motherless and had to live with it their entire life...

now hold her accountable so there is a lesson for the mother to learn and she will preach safety to the choir till she eventually passes...

and finally, yes child services should step in and investigate the familial child rearing skills...i'm sorry bragging on social media they let their 4yo toddle handle and fire a pistol is strictly for their attention getting scheme...what on earth else is this mother doing to get attention now or in the future using her child?

(splain something lucy...Piaget proved, and reproduced in peer studies, beyond a shadow of a doubt a child that age does not have the cognitive capability to grasp concrete thought processes so their behaviour would reflect the process, so how on earth would you expect a child of this age to even begin to understand the concepts of firearm safety...

and when the nice man who is cleaning his firearm and 'accidentally' or 'carelessly' or you pick a word that best suites your sensibilities, seriously wounds or kills someone...let's not even bother to have an investigation and just put it down to,

oh darn mistakes happen ~ don't let it happen again, ya hear...

a sidebar mate...if i remember correctly, another gun enthusiast mother whose child grew up with alleged mental and cognitive issues was taught to handle and shoot a myriad of the mother's firearms, both rifles and pistols ~ that shooter murdered twenty-seven people, including twenty children on Dec 14 2012.

there are consequences for mistakes...just like in DUI/DWI or DV activities...this should not be any different...hold the mother specifically and investigate the child rearing capabilities of the family to assure the child does not become a victim or killer.

one other concept mate to your oh let bygones be bygones when a mistake occurs...oh let little 9yo susie shoot the fully automatic Uzi ~ what harm can it cause ... TRUST ME her mental health bill is going to be borne by the taxpayers till she passes!!

ipse

Last edited:

solus

I didn't read a word of the wall of text past this first non-sentence.

Learn to format according to some semblance of standard English usage.

but of course mate...not listening or in this case, reading, or ignoring is your best methodology to avoid having any type of conversation where you might have to discern another's perspective.

it further validates the NPDisorder as you do not capitulate whatsoever, insisting there is some problem which will cause you to not read, respond, or...so your perception of superiority & power and control is maintained, at least from your reality base...

have you been working too hard with your political activism as it appears the symptoms seem to be causing further degeneration...

but go well mate, as your credibility continues to slide...

ipse

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
This is why I invest money into holsters that lock the firearm in place, even my conceal holster has a lock to it where it can't fall out unless I thumb the switch! I never understood why folks would buy a holster that gives zero ability of keeping the firearm firmly locked into place. Not trying to start a war here, but just personal opinion is never buy a holster that doesn't have a locking method for retention.

Obviously this is just my input so if I somehow steamed someone here, didn't mean for my post to seem that way.

The Truth

This is why I invest money into holsters that lock the firearm in place, even my conceal holster has a lock to it where it can't fall out unless I thumb the switch! I never understood why folks would buy a holster that gives zero ability of keeping the firearm firmly locked into place. Not trying to start a war here, but just personal opinion is never buy a holster that doesn't have a locking method for retention.

Obviously this is just my input so if I somehow steamed someone here, didn't mean for my post to seem that way.

Different strokes...

Law abider

Kids do have a funny way of figuring out stuff. We have heard those stories. like the kid got out of a locked home in the middle of the night into freezing weather and someone just happened to take a detour and voila, there is the kid almost froze. Kids do stuff.

WalkingWolf

The problem was not the holster, but her lack of attention to where her firearm was at all times.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
But that's how you make yourself look good in front of those who drink the Kool Aide.

Why impress the enemy? What's so effing important about trying to look good to hatemongers who want you dead anyway?

This is why I give up on humanity.

This was negligence. Yes. Deserving of shame. Yes.

But, not excommunication. It only adds to the cult framing created by the slandering anti's... Played right into their hand...

Getting shot in the back by your own dumb brat.

By 5, my son had already fired my 1911. He may not have fully grasped the concept. But he knew that you definitely don't point it at people, and you definitely don't put your finger on the trigger.

Why?

Because starting a kid out on a .22lr hand gun gives them the impression that it's a toy and no big deal. Just like all the shooting stuff on TV Shows and Video Games does. It confirms that misinformation instead of teaching them a lesson. Totality of input. You parked him in front of the TV, didn't you? So, you must want him to believe what it's saying...

I coached him on how much it was going to "kick." That he was, in fact, too small to handle it. Be ready. Be prepared. We did a half dozen dry runs. Then, 1 round in the chamber, no magazine. His arms were ready, but his feet were not. I intentionally didn't correct him. He ended up on his butt. With a deep respect for the thing, not fear. 13 years later, he's got his first 80% 1911 frame in the works. And I never put a single gun "away," locked it in a safe, or even unloaded them. He has better trigger finger discipline than anyone. No qualifier.

Parenting... There should be a procreation license...

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Kids do have a funny way of figuring out stuff.
They're smarter than most adults because they haven't been screwed up yet. Nothing "funny" about it. It's natural. But, then we go to school and get it taught out of us...

Last edited: