• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Activist Shot by Her 4-Year-Old Son After He Grabs Gun From Back Seat of Her

WalkingWolf

But that's how you make yourself look good in front of those who drink the Kool Aide.

Why impress the enemy? What's so effing important about trying to look good to hatemongers who want you dead anyway?

This is why I give up on humanity.

This was negligence. Yes. Deserving of shame. Yes.

But, not excommunication. It only adds to the cult framing created by the slandering anti's... Played right into their hand...

Getting shot in the back by your own dumb brat.

By 5, my son had already fired my 1911. He may not have fully grasped the concept. But he knew that you definitely don't point it at people, and you definitely don't put your finger on the trigger.

Why?

Because starting a kid out on a .22lr hand gun gives them the impression that it's a toy and no big deal. Just like all the shooting stuff on TV Shows and Video Games does. It confirms that misinformation instead of teaching them a lesson. Totality of input. You parked him in front of the TV, didn't you? So, you must want him to believe what it's saying...

I coached him on how much it was going to "kick." That he was, in fact, too small to handle it. Be ready. Be prepared. We did a half dozen dry runs. Then, 1 round in the chamber, no magazine. His arms were ready, but his feet were not. I intentionally didn't correct him. He ended up on his butt. With a deep respect for the thing, not fear. 13 years later, he's got his first 80% 1911 frame in the works. And I never put a single gun "away," locked it in a safe, or even unloaded them. He has better trigger finger discipline than anyone. No qualifier.

Parenting... There should be a procreation license...

When I grew up my introduction to firearms was hunting, I started out with just a bb gun. Not that it killed anything, but it was part of me learning safety skills. I learned hunting that guns can, and do kill, and they have a purpose. It does not take much for a child to realize that lifeless game that had been shot would mean lifeless family members if they are shot.

Add to that most of the people I knew in our neighborhood were elderly. I spent a lot of evenings going to wakes, and funerals, it gave me a clear understanding of death that was not the same as TV portrayed.

Today hunting skills are not taught like they used to be, most of youth the closest they get is playing a hunting video game. All their food comes from a grocery store. I do realize hunting is not practical for many because of he loss of hunting land. Though in many places it would not be hard buying a free range chicken, and having he child hunt it for dinner.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
When I grew up my introduction to firearms was hunting, I started out with just a bb gun. Not that it killed anything, but it was part of me learning safety skills. I learned hunting that guns can, and do kill, and they have a purpose. It does not take much for a child to realize that lifeless game that had been shot would mean lifeless family members if they are shot.

Add to that most of the people I knew in our neighborhood were elderly. I spent a lot of evenings going to wakes, and funerals, it gave me a clear understanding of death that was not the same as TV portrayed.

Today hunting skills are not taught like they used to be, most of youth the closest they get is playing a hunting video game. All their food comes from a grocery store. I do realize hunting is not practical for many because of he loss of hunting land. Though in many places it would not be hard buying a free range chicken, and having he child hunt it for dinner.

Squirrels are everywhere and reproduce as fast as rabbits, but don't tell the FWC that, they'll plant some evidence and send you to FedPen.

There's a season on squirrels, but almost no restrictions on discharging Air Guns inside city limits... My AirForce Condor SS hits harder than a 22lr. No ammo shortage required. Swage your own projectiles from wheel weights. If you've got a hunting license, and live in the middle of Gainesville, and they're in season, yes, you can shoot that limb rat and eat him. Yummie! Make the stupid sissy "students" cry and protest. It's fun! Ask me how I know this!

No season on rabbits, but you won't find many of them in the city. Pretty much any fence row at dusk or dawn...

Hog is unrestricted... Again, not in the city, tho... Well, sometimes. :p Yes, there are Air Guns powerful enough to drop a hog where it stands.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Squirrels are everywhere and reproduce as fast as rabbits, but don't tell the FWC that, they'll plant some evidence and send you to FedPen.

There's a season on squirrels, but almost no restrictions on discharging Air Guns inside city limits... My AirForce Condor SS hits harder than a 22lr. No ammo shortage required. Swage your own projectiles from wheel weights. If you've got a hunting license, and live in the middle of Gainesville, and they're in season, yes, you can shoot that limb rat and eat him. Yummie! Make the stupid sissy "students" cry and protest. It's fun! Ask me how I know this!

No season on rabbits, but you won't find many of them in the city. Pretty much any fence row at dusk or dawn...

Hog is unrestricted... Again, not in the city, tho... Well, sometimes. :p Yes, there are Air Guns powerful enough to drop a hog where it stands.

I have never hunted hog with an airgun, though mine is capable of doing it. I don't like to eat tree rat in warm weather, same for rabbit. Prefer to take them after it get good and cold. Killed a good size possum a couple weeks ago with the air rifle, but I don't eat possum, much too greasy, he ended up cremated.

Yesterday was rooster, and pasta day, made enough rooster, and sausage spaghetti sauce for a week. I need to think out my rooster population so I will probably cull one a week through the summer. It took about three shots, I am not as good as I used to be. I couldn't seem to hit his head at 25 yards with the first couple shots.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have never hunted hog with an airgun, though mine is capable of doing it. I don't like to eat tree rat in warm weather, same for rabbit. Prefer to take them after it get good and cold. Killed a good size possum a couple weeks ago with the air rifle, but I don't eat possum, much too greasy, he ended up cremated.

Yesterday was rooster, and pasta day, made enough rooster, and sausage spaghetti sauce for a week. I need to think out my rooster population so I will probably cull one a week through the summer. It took about three shots, I am not as good as I used to be. I couldn't seem to hit his head at 25 yards with the first couple shots.

Gentleman - we are drifting too far off topic for this thread.

Airguns, hunting, etc. are only a fit in the General Discussion or Social Lounge, as appropriate.

davidmcbeth

Banned
“We’re satisfied that this is not a criminal shooting,” Wells said.

ROFL .... good call Detective Obvious

"No Teletubbies today? We'll see about that!"

Really, its possible that the gun fell from the front seat to the back and discharged too....

Who knows...the lady's fine. ...

except for this "He said no charges have been filed yet but authorities will work with the State Attorney’s Office to determine if Gilt will be charged depending on how the boy obtained the weapon."

Should have remained quite.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Gentleman - we are drifting too far off topic for this thread.

Airguns, hunting, etc. are only a fit in the General Discussion or Social Lounge, as appropriate.

I was going to mention that airguns actually can be OCed, but forgot because derp.

utbagpiper

Banned
This was negligence. Yes. Deserving of shame. Yes.

But, not excommunication.

+1

Some of those who claim to be pro-RKBA really need to learn this lesson. I would hope they do so before they are the one who has a moment of stupidity and look around wondering whether they are going to get the same treatment they dished out to some others.

Charles

OC for ME

The proper storage of a handgun in a vehicle is not a new concept, nor is it a difficult task.

~100% adherence to firearm safety is not "good enough."

Her credibility as a "notable" 2A advocate is greatly diminished...she threw herself under the bus.

It will be interesting to see what awaits Mrs. Gilt after the PCSO completes their investigation.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The proper storage of a handgun in a vehicle is not a new concept, nor is it a difficult task.

~100% adherence to firearm safety is not "good enough."

Her credibility as a "notable" 2A advocate is greatly diminished...she threw herself under the bus.

It will be interesting to see what awaits Mrs. Gilt after the PCSO completes their investigation.

I put mine on top of the bonnet ... so I can see it at all times !

It will be interesting to see what happens .. the kid stayed quite and no charges....she opened her yapper .... I hope she gets nothing but well.

solus

quote: The Putnam County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday filed an affidavit with local prosecutors asking that Gilt be charged with the second-degree misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to 180 days in jail, Capt. Gator DeLoach told reporters. DeLoach said the sheriff's office supports the rights of citizens to own and possess firearms but gun owners have the "additional responsibility of ensuring children do not gain unintended access to a firearm in hopes of preventing tragedies like this."

The sheriff's office said Tuesday that Gilt had apparently placed the unholstered gun under the front seat and that the gun slid out before the toddler picked it up and accidentally fired it. The boy, who unbuckled his bolster seat, was likely reaching for a toy when he found the gun. unquote http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/22/us/gun-activist-shot-florida/

that's her story and she's sticking to it...

ipse

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
...and along comes the guv to make something bad, worse, when it was already more than bad enough...

Getting shot in tthe back by your own dumb kid, after being dumb enough to let him have your gun is much worse than the maximum sentence...

Last edited:

OC for ME

quote: The Putnam County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday filed an affidavit with local prosecutors asking that Gilt be charged with the second-degree misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to 180 days in jail, Capt. Gator DeLoach told reporters. DeLoach said the sheriff's office supports the rights of citizens to own and possess firearms but gun owners have the "additional responsibility of ensuring children do not gain unintended access to a firearm in hopes of preventing tragedies like this." ...
I wonder if Capt. Gator DeLoach will apply this standard to any cop, especially one of his cops...hmm...

solus

Yet another incident of mishandling of a firearm by a parent

quote: The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office says witness accounts indicate a child in the back seat of a vehicle in the southbound lanes of Highway 175 on Tuesday morning, April 26th, got hold of a gun and discharged the firearm. That sent a single bullet into the driver's back. unquote
http://fox6now.com/2016/04/26/i-41-incident/

me thinks, unfortunately, child services is already involved!!

ipse

Last edited:

Wstar425

quote: The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office says witness accounts indicate a child in the back seat of a vehicle in the southbound lanes of Highway 175 on Tuesday morning, April 26th, got hold of a gun and discharged the firearm. That sent a single bullet into the driver's back. unquote
http://fox6now.com/2016/04/26/i-41-incident/

me thinks, unfortunately, child services is already involved!!

ipse

Sounds like that woman died. You can see the roof of Miller Park in that one picture. I haul beer out of there all the time, up 175 through one of Milwaukee's not best neighborhoods to avoid the construction on I-94 and the zoo interchange.

Sad, a couple of kids that won't ever be the same.

solus

Sounds like that woman died. You can see the roof of Miller Park in that one picture. I haul beer out of there all the time, up 175 through one of Milwaukee's not best neighborhoods to avoid the construction on I-94 and the zoo interchange.

Sad, a couple of kids that won't ever be the same.

the whole familial entity will never be the same...

i was waiting for further info on age(s) of the children

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
However, the woman [Gilt] was pronounced dead at the scene......The Putnam County Sheriff's Office later filed an affidavit with local prosecutors asking that Gilt be charged with the second-degree misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to 180 days in jail.http://fox6now.com/2016/04/26/i-41-incident/

I must be missing something or having a brain fart....she's dead and they want to charge her?

kcgunfan

However, the woman [Gilt] was pronounced dead at the scene......The Putnam County Sheriff's Office later filed an affidavit with local prosecutors asking that Gilt be charged with the second-degree misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to 180 days in jail.http://fox6now.com/2016/04/26/i-41-incident/

I must be missing something or having a brain fart....she's dead and they want to charge her?

Your critical reading skills need sharpening. Gilt did not die.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk