Thread: Corrupt societies encourage lying: Intrinsic honesty and rule violation

Corrupt societies encourage lying: Intrinsic honesty and rule violation

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/...ncourage-lying

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture17160.html Paywalled

In neither of the accessible articles was the US mentioned.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

State Researcher
    A couple of years back there was a fascinating letter to the editor in the local paper here.

An immigrant from a South American Hispanic nation related how her brother got in a little trouble as a teen and had to go before a juvenile judge. He had some formal penalties to work through. For a long time this had bothered the letter writer as it seemed needlessly harsh compared to her native country. Back home, she explained, the police would have brought the boy home, taken a modest bribe, and the whole thing would have been over.

However, over time she had come to realize that the police bribe in her native country represented a societal condoning of official corruption, top to bottom, that permeated the entire culture. Theft and lying were rampant. You couldn't do anything or get anything without bribes. She had come to appreciate the relative lack of corruption and acceptance of corruption in the USA.

Obviously, we have corruption. But comparatively on the international scale, I think our culture and society are less accepting of corruption than are some other nations. When it comes to light, we are generally pretty good about condemning it and expecting official sanctions.

Sadly, and of concern to me, is I do see this fading as partisanship takes hold. It was threat of impeachment and removal from office by both Democrats and Republicans and loss of support from the electorate as a whole that forced Nixon to resign. Clinton, OTOH, was supported by those in his party and party supporters including the media and grassroots democrats such that conviction and removal was impossible. To this day, far too many think he was impeached for a simple marital affair rather than for committing perjury and denying justice to one of his victims of sexual abuse. Many Republicans are slow to admit Reagan's culpability with Iran-Contra. If society cares more for partisanship than it does for honesty and integrity in its leaders, the culture will suffer.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Mid 80's, in Italy, I got a parking ticket while driving the liberty van while waiting on the Old Man to pick up some booze on the way to his hotel. I was able to "pay the fine" right there on the spot...I think it was 15,000 Lire back then, about 10 bucks maybe, maybe a little less/little more. Did not even try to get reimbursed when the Old Man got back in the van.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Mid 80's, in Italy, I got a parking ticket while driving the liberty van while waiting on the Old Man to pick up some booze on the way to his hotel. I was able to "pay the fine" right there on the spot...I think it was 15,000 Lire back then, about 10 bucks maybe, maybe a little less/little more. Did not even try to get reimbursed when the Old Man got back in the van.
    discretion is always the better valor...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain