Thread: West county St. Louis

West county St. Louis

So I open carried for the first time today in chesterfield and no one so much as batted an eye as I went about my business. Seemed like a victory to me personally, until I got home and my roommate told me that even though I could not find an ordinance after searching through the online database that it was considered by chesterfield police as a crime. Does anyone know how I am supposed to effectively get accurate information on how to tell which of these 50 different tiny townships in west county St. Louis allows or disallows our open carry rights? It seems as though these ordinances are hidden deeper than the arc of the covenant and the local police are less than helpful.
    Last edited by USMCshane; 03-10-2016 at 12:20 AM.

With a CCW permit, OC is preempted statewide, so it wouldn't matter and is legal. If you want to OC without a CCW permit, you'll need to check the laws of each city. Chesterfield prohibits carrying unless you have taken hunter education. They also prohibit carrying on someone else's property without their written consent. Both were put in place for hunting but worded as such that it would apply to general OC. Id recommend just getting a CCW permit so you don't have to worry about city lines.

http://www.ecode360.com/29230249?hig...rearms,firearm

Quote Originally Posted by STLDaniel View Post
    With a CCW permit, OC is preempted statewide, so it wouldn't matter and is legal. ...
    Can the city disallow both OC and CC in their buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by USMCshane View Post
    So I open carried for the first time today in chesterfield and no one so much as batted an eye as I went about my business. ...
    Keep posting your experiences!

There need to be more such postings coming out of MO.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Yes.

http://moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/statht...ml?&me=571.107

These are on the list to be tweeked once carry w/o permit is addressed. This is the same statute that the STL Zoo is basing their TRO on if I am not mistaken.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Yes.

http://moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/statht...ml?&me=571.107

These are on the list to be tweeked once carry w/o permit is addressed. This is the same statute that the STL Zoo is basing their TRO on if I am not mistaken.
    It helps all to be specific when one cites to authority.

Therefore, I presume that your cite is a reference to subsection 6.

It helps all to be specific when one cites to authority.

Therefore, I presume that your cite is a reference to subsection 6.
    Yes, subsection 6.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to leave the gun at home when out and about until I can afford to get my ccw. Seems unfortunate to me that my right to self defense takes a backseat to the comfort of the sheep.

One fight at a time But sort of... Without a CCW permit, they can ban OC, and CC would be illegal anyway. With a CCW permit, based on the above mention (6) gun free zone, yes they can restrict CC in there buildings. In that case OC would be determined by the Zoo case as whether CC restrictions apply equally to OC. (Although unlike the Zoo case, they actually would fall under a specified gun free zone, not twisted into one).

RSMo 571.107.1. - No concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(1). Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol office or station without the consent of the chief law enforcement officer in charge of that office or station. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the office or station shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
    Note the discrepancy in the wording.

This is the wording used through out the RSMo.