• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OTC plans demonstration at South by SW when President is in attendance?

solus

Open Carry Group Will Crash Obama’s South by Southwest Appearance

quote: A gun rights group in Texas has organized an open carry demonstration at the South by Southwest festival Friday near where President Obama is expected to speak.
Open Carry Texas plans to hand out literature and show attendees of the annual film and music festival...The group has been present at SXSW for the last three years...

“The fact that President Obama is going to be in Austin at the same time changes nothing. We won’t be deterred or barred from exercising our liberties,” Open Carry Texas wrote on Facebook. “In fact, if Obama sees us, we look forward to him approaching us, shaking our hands, and thanking us for exercising our rights in a safe and legal manner in the way he is tasked with supporting and defending.”

The group said it doesn’t have a rally or march planned, and that their teams would be limited to up to 10 people at the South entrance to the Capitol. Still, their planned presence has sparked outrage among anti-gun groups, including Moms Demand Action, which is planning a counter-protest. unquote.

http://time.com/4254443/open-carry-group-sxsw/

sigh...

ipse

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What's the secret service outer security perimeter-1 and 1/2 miles?

Sounds like a lot of sound from the OCT folks, regardless of how much I support their intent.

a stay safe.

nonameisgood

This was planned before the Presidential visit was announced.
It's legal or it isn't. When you're guarded all day and all night by the SS, you probably don't worry to much about other people's safety after they are disarmed.

The reaction reminds me of the anesthesiologist convention in Chicago that threatened to move venues unless the city shut down Meigs Field airport after 9/11. This group of of oh-so-smart doctors was afraid that a (lightweight) Cessna would crash into the (concrete and steel) McCormick convention center and they'd all die. (The governor and mayor had the airport runways bulldozed in the middle of the night, violating FAA grants, and trapping a dozen airplanes. Fear is a powerful agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Open Carry Group Will Crash Obama’s South by Southwest Appearance

quote: A gun rights group in Texas has organized an open carry demonstration at the South by Southwest festival Friday near where President Obama is expected to speak.
Open Carry Texas plans to hand out literature and show attendees of the annual film and music festival...The group has been present at SXSW for the last three years...

“The fact that President Obama is going to be in Austin at the same time changes nothing. We won’t be deterred or barred from exercising our liberties,” Open Carry Texas wrote on Facebook. “In fact, if Obama sees us, we look forward to him approaching us, shaking our hands, and thanking us for exercising our rights in a safe and legal manner in the way he is tasked with supporting and defending.”

The group said it doesn’t have a rally or march planned, and that their teams would be limited to up to 10 people at the South entrance to the Capitol. Still, their planned presence has sparked outrage among anti-gun groups, including Moms Demand Action, which is planning a counter-protest. unquote.

http://time.com/4254443/open-carry-group-sxsw/

sigh...

ipse
OH MY GOD! The Lying Mommies are outraged? :shocker:

Time to pack it in, then!

stealthyeliminator

Sounds like a lot of sound from the OCT folks

Since when is creating an event on Facebook "a lot of sound"?

Sounds like... nothing. Wait, no, there it is... yep, sounds like someone was desperate for a story.

Solus, was the incorrect abbreviation in the title intentional, or ignorance slipping through again?

solus

Since when is creating an event on Facebook "a lot of sound"?

Sounds like... nothing. Wait, no, there it is... yep, sounds like someone was desperate for a story.

Solus, was the incorrect abbreviation in the title intentional, or ignorance slipping through again?

since you have felt the need to once again insult me, w/o provocation, as well as showing your mind is made up regarding the answer...it would seem, as the cat's say...used one of your lives...

i shan't provide the satisfaction to bring you back...

ipse

sc-texas

How many showed up? Wonder how the interactions with the SS went?

Last edited by a moderator:

sc-texas

Imagine that. The moms whining about fun stuff wants to shoot people who disagree with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

HPmatt

Grisham - those quotes and screen captures will be GREAT evidence to confront MOMS next time they discuss/comment on proposed Legislation! Great job on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radio3579

Not a fan of OCT, a lot of their antics are the reasons for the backlash against OC and the new rash of 30.06 and .07 signs, people are fine with handguns being carried what they don't want in their businesses is "those loonies with the AK's" running around. Whataburger and other retailers changed their policies on firearms because of people with rifles showing up not those that were quietly concealing their handguns and going about their business.

OCT takes far too much credit for things that they are not responsible for, they do not represent Texas gun owners as a whole just a small segment of followers.
I do applaud their zeal though.

Long gun OC and handgun OC are different animals altogether but the sheep get confused easily and scared.

As far as SXSW goes, if the President is there the Secret Circus and the Anti-gun Austin PD Chief will make sure that OCT gets nowhere near the place, it may get a news story on MSNBC but that will probably be the extent of it.

stealthyeliminator

Not a fan of OCT, a lot of their antics are the reasons for the backlash against OC and the new rash of 30.06 and .07 signs, people are fine with handguns being carried what they don't want in their businesses is "those loonies with the AK's" running around. Whataburger and other retailers changed their policies on firearms because of people with rifles showing up not those that were quietly concealing their handguns and going about their business.

OCT takes far too much credit for things that they are not responsible for, they do not represent Texas gun owners as a whole just a small segment of followers.

Long gun OC and handgun OC are different animals altogether but the sheep get confused easily and scared.

As far as SXSW goes, if the President is there the Secret Circus and the Anti-gun Austin PD Chief will make sure that OCT gets nowhere near the place, it may get a news story on MSNBC but that will probably be the extent of it.

You couldn't be further from the truth. OCT has held hundreds or thousands of events and gathering across the state, during none of which has any incident like negligent discharge taken place. One of the primary purposes of this site, and one of the best things we can do for gun rights in general, is normalization, and the primary method of normalization is through exposure. Concealed carry does not provide this exposure, rather concealed carry is conducted more as some secret club with special privileges. OCT provided this exposure through both long gun carry and black powder cap and ball replica pistol carry, neither of which, quite evidently, ever caused any significant problems for the movement. In the couple of years leading up to open carry legislation passing (legislation which, you may recall, repeatedly failed to gain traction in sessions prior to OCT's existence), I would argue that OCT represented the single biggest contributor to the normalization process. This all while your older Texas firearm lobbies (NRA, TSRA) denounced, ridiculed, and stubbornly and proudly refused to support or prioritize open carry.

There was no significant open carry movement prior to OCT, OCT was the open carry movement in Texas that led to the passage of open carry. I say this as someone that supported and advocated for open carry years before OCT came into existence. If anything, many Texans may have been primed and ready prior to OCT coming to be, but still needed someone like Grisham to come along and ignite the charge, and provide the organization to make a meaningful impact. If the OCT story never took place, open carry would not have passed in 2015 - I do not doubt this one bit.

Gun people need to realize, sometimes, some people just don't like guns, and that's all on them, it ultimately has nothing to do with any "gun person" doing anything to "aggravate" them or the situation. If it wasn't OCT, all the blame would simply fall to the next-most vocal or media-covered group. Stop blaming anti-gun lunacy on pro-gun activists - the lunatics were there to begin with and they'll still be there no matter how deeply you conceal your pistol, or how many inches of steel you keep your rifle behind.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
You couldn't be further from the truth. OCT has held hundreds or thousands of events and gathering across the state, during none of which has any incident like negligent discharge taken place. One of the primary purposes of this site, and one of the best things we can do for gun rights in general, is normalization, and the primary method of normalization is through exposure. Concealed carry does not provide this exposure, rather concealed carry is conducted more as some secret club with special privileges. OCT provided this exposure through both long gun carry and black powder cap and ball replica pistol carry, neither of which, quite evidently, ever caused any significant problems for the movement. In the couple of years leading up to open carry legislation passing (legislation which, you may recall, repeatedly failed to gain traction in sessions prior to OCT's existence), I would argue that OCT represented the single biggest contributor to the normalization process. This all while your older Texas firearm lobbies (NRA, TSRA) denounced, ridiculed, and stubbornly and proudly refused to support or prioritize open carry.

There was no significant open carry movement prior to OCT, OCT was the open carry movement in Texas that led to the passage of open carry. I say this as someone that supported and advocated for open carry years before OCT came into existence. If anything, many Texans may have been primed and ready prior to OCT coming to be, but still needed someone like Grisham to come along and ignite the charge, and provide the organization to make a meaningful impact. If the OCT story never took place, open carry would not have passed in 2015 - I do not doubt this one bit.

Gun people need to realize, sometimes, some people just don't like guns, and that's all on them, it ultimately has nothing to do with any "gun person" doing anything to "aggravate" them or the situation. If it wasn't OCT, all the blame would simply fall to the next-most vocal or media-covered group. Stop blaming anti-gun lunacy on pro-gun activists - the lunatics were there to begin with and they'll still be there no matter how deeply you conceal your pistol, or how many inches of steel you keep your rifle behind.
I wholeheartedly agree.

OC for ME

You Sir are not as dedicated to individual liberty as you claim to be. In fact, I think, your support for OC is likely the product of being directed from on high to not confront a OCer unless you can nail him dead to rights. You Sir exemplify the mindset of today's LE...guns OK as long as I can't see it.