Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Bill 3098 - Unlicensed Open Carry

House Bill 3098 - Unlicensed Open Carry

Bill for unlicensed open carry passed the house, now it's on to the senate. Contact them and provide your support. Baby steps. Maybe the next one will be full constitutional carry if we can get this passed.

http://newsok.com/article/5484206

Good Luck to our friends in Oklahoma.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

Saw it on the news. Couldn't believe it. With any luck it'll clear the Senate as well. Told some friends in Communist California, they're extremely jealous.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. No BG checks, no mandatory training. Time will tell.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by websterz View Post
    I don't know if this is a good thing or not. No BG checks, no mandatory training. Time will tell.
    BGs always follow the law - right?

And only those with an acceptable level of training should be allowed to defend themselves?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Open & Concealed unlicensed carry has only been working in Vermont since 1939
    Open unlicensed carry has been working in Colorado since before it was a state (1876)
    Open & concealed unlicensed carry has been working in Arizona since 2010
    Open & concealed unlicensed carry has been working in Wyoming since 2011
    Open & concealed unlicensed carry has been working in Alaska since 2003
    Open & concealed unlicensed carry has been working in Arkansas since 2013

DUH i don't know are people in Oklahoma stupider and/or more criminally inclined than in other states??????

Are you a firearms instructor making $$$$$$ off classes people are forced to take to exercise a constitutional right????
    Last edited by F350; 03-13-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Unlicenced OC has been working in Virginia since forever.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Kentucky has had unlicensed open carry since 1792.

http://insiderlouisville.com/metro/o...sial-kentucky/

"Openly carrying a gun in public is legal, and has been since Kentucky joined the Union in 1792. There is no limitation based on weapon type – handguns and rifles may both be openly displayed in public."
    Last edited by Midwest; 03-14-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

I saw one news report claiming this would make OK the 8th state to have "constitutional carry"--which, of course, isn't true. There were no comments so couldn't correct the readers. Sorry I don't have the link handy.

Anyhoo, just wanted to wish our neighbors up north good luck with unlicensed OC!!

Do you have your carry license? If so, then you know the "training" is a complete joke. If you know the difference between a derringer, revolver and semi-automatic pistol and can manage to keep the muzzle down range during the live fire portion then hooray, you pass. The rest of the class is basically legal advise for when you kill somebody, not firearms training.

Some in the media and RKBA community are calling this Constitutional Carry, which it is not. It is movement in the right (pun intended) direction.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...a-house-73-15/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-14-2016 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added

Hopefully this comes to Texas
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-15-2016 at 06:04 AM. Reason: deleted superfluous reference/link

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    Kentucky has had unlicensed open carry since 1792.

http://insiderlouisville.com/metro/o...sial-kentucky/

"Openly carrying a gun in public is legal, and has been since Kentucky joined the Union in 1792. There is no limitation based on weapon type – handguns and rifles may both be openly displayed in public."
    The sad thing is a lived there for years and never new.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-15-2016 at 06:04 AM. Reason: deleted superfluous reference/link

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Some in the media and RKBA community are calling this Constitutional Carry, which it is not. It is movement in the right (pun intended) direction.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...a-house-73-15/
    You are correct, but it's word play. "Constitutional Open Carry" sounds better than unlicensed or permitless open carry to the layman. I'm really hoping this passes, but I have my doubts. I have a feeling the fiscal impact on the OSBI will be enough to kill it. State agencies love their money.

Representative Emily Virgin (D-Norman) opposed the bill. She argued that allowing law-abiding citizens to carry openly without a permit “could increase incidents of domestic violence.”
    I'm having a hard time understanding the correlation between unlicensed open carry and domestic violence. You don't need a permit to purchase a firearm and keep it in your home, which is where I would think a mass majority of domestic violence takes place.

I thought this was a discussion forum. You were all awfully quick to jump my ass this time weren't you?!

I thought this was a discussion forum. You were all awfully quick to jump my ass this time weren't you?!
    To whom are you directing this?

OCDO may be a publicly viewable forum, but it is first Private Property. By registering and gaining the privilege of posting, one agrees to and thereby accepts the Forum Rules.

and here i just put the BSA caramel popcorn mix away...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

OCDO may be a publicly viewable forum, but it is first Private Property. By registering and gaining the privilege of posting, one agrees to and thereby accepts the Forum Rules.
    And just what rule did I violate? The one where speaking my mind justified being dog piled?

And just what rule did I violate? The one where speaking my mind justified being dog piled?
    Even being slighted or even wronged (in your opinion) does not give license to step beyond the bounds. Better to use the Ignore function.

Back on topic, please.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-17-2016 at 03:59 AM.

What rule did I violate? It is a simple question.

Even being slighted or even wronged (in your opinion) does not give license to step beyond the bounds. Better to use the Ignore function.
    Back on topic, please.
    What rule did I violate? It is a simple question.
    The "simple" answer is you do yourself that which you accuse others of doing - quick to jump someone's ass. Then do not take a gentle, well-intended directive. You choose to go public when a PM would have been more appropriate. There is no need to be contentious.

Forum Rules include: We reserve the ABSOLUTE right to contact our members via PM or email regarding moderation issues. Contact for non-moderation activities is governed by forum rules.

This is a moderation issue. Back on thread topic or win an unwanted prize - there are remedies available.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-17-2016 at 10:12 AM.

I didn't particularly see it as jumping you. A lot of people responded with where unlicensed carry is already working and others were asking questions of your vague comment and your motives for not supporting unlicensed carry in Oklahoma. You didn't answer any of the questions that were posed, you just got defensive. I don't want to alienate anyone from the discussion, especially a fellow Oklahoman, since this topic is whom this affects the most. If you care to, please elaborate on your reasoning of why you wouldn't support unlicensed carry in Oklahoma and we can continue the discussion.

I wasnt involved largely in this topic but just relax. The 2nd amendment is a very touchy debate and brings out serious heart felt responses. The minority of people that call their selves moms demand action (Representing far less then .01 percent of the population) always gets vocal and bandwagons over the tiniest things which drawls out the 99 percent of the population who either supports gun rights or doesnt care at all to argue.

In this forum we should all be on the same page but inevitably there are going to be differing opinions and it will get heated from time to time. Even I have had to ignore some extremist on here occasionally though at first I did fall for their trap. Just post and have fun and if people disagree then oh well. Dont let it bother you.
    Full Supporter of the second Amendment!

Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

When HB 3098 passes the Senate, with Governor Fallin's record lately she's likely to veto it when the Chamber of Commerce asks her to...and they will.

But we still need to try! If you live in Oklahoma, call and write to your senator and politely express your desire for him or her to vote for HB 3098. If you don't know who your state senator is, go to http://www.oklegislature.gov, fill in and submit the 'Find My Legislator' form at the bottom, then scroll down to where it says 'State Senate.' Click on your senator's name to see his address and phone number.

Is training required now to own a gun if the gun never leaves the house? If so, then any support for training to carry as well, by any citizen, is nothing but anti-liberty and anti-citizen. Liberals are not endowed with common sense or reading skills derived from logical thought processes. Pure emotion, and a hatred for individual liberty.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast