• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally, some physicians are stating: Guns are not pathogens

solus

https://drgo.us/?p=2707

quote:
Guns are not pathogens... Epidemics are not characterized by gradual steady declines in morbidity and mortality, as homicides and violent crime have shown, accompanied by dramatic increases in gun ownership for 20 years. Their campaign is especially disingenuous as we find that our own health care professions are responsible for as many as 400,000 deaths and 10-20 times as much serious harm to patients every year.

If one excludes murders in our gang- and drug-infested, poverty stricken urban areas, the United States has very low levels of violent crime and homicide. This is even more remarkable because we have the highest rate of civilian gun ownership in the world. Considering that, the United States is among the safest places to live in the world.

...when Wilmington, Delaware asked the CDC for help to analyze the causes of its exploding homicide rate, the CDC did its job. It analyzed the city’s gun crime problem and made serious recommendations about addressing the underlying risks that draw people into it, rather than exploring further ineffective gun control measures.

unquote.

ipse

DeSchaine

A great piece ultimately to be ignored by the majority of medical professionals in the country. More is the pity.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you are going to compare and look at US v. other countries via removing US urban areas then, to be fair, one would have remove the non-US urban area violence too.

However, playing the "statistics game" is something I could do well...but don't....stats are irrelevant to my RKBA.

How do you win this stats game? You don't play.

Didn't anyone watch War Games?

since9

Campaign Veteran
My cousin's husband is an ER doc in Los Angeles, and not exactly in the best neighborhood. We got into it one day in 2010. Thinking the answer might be "motorcycle accidents," I asked him what's the number one cause of death in his ER? He didn't hesitate telling me, "gunshot victims," and added, "If we could only get rid of all the guns, we wouldn't have this problem."

I thought for a moment, then asked him, "What percentage of your ER visits involve knife wounds, beatings with bats, sticks, and other things? How many of those people die?"

He got hot under the collar and said, "Guns are the worst problem. We need to get rid of the guns."

I asked him, "How do you intend to take firearms away from the criminals while leaving them in the hands of law-abiding citizens?"

A little hotter, he said, "I mean we need to get rid of all the guns! Everywhere!"

I said, "That'll never happen," to which he asked, "Why not?"

I said, "Because the criminals will never give up their guns. They are, after all, criminals. They'll never obey a law like that."

That was about the end of that conversation.

Fast forward to the Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership article. I am SO GLAD this group of medical doctors has united to present an intelligent counter-argument to the liberal MD's whose word politicians are inclined to take simply because they're doctors. I'm quite certain my cousin's husband is perfectly capable of saving lives and limbs, but when it comes to thinking through this issue in a rational, intelligent manner, he's still in grade school.

OC for ME

... I'm quite certain my cousin's husband is perfectly capable of saving lives and limbs, but when it comes to thinking through this issue in a rational, intelligent manner, he's still in grade school.
Should've asked him what we should we do regarding the deaths that are attributed to preventable medical errors.
It's a chilling reality – one often overlooked in annual mortality statistics: Preventable medical errors persist as the No. 3 killer in the U.S. – third only to heart disease and cancer – claiming the lives of some 400,000 people each year. At a Senate hearing Thursday, patient safety officials put their best ideas forward on how to solve the crisis, with IT often at the center of discussions.

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/deaths-by-medical-mistakes-hit-records
Though, is he a FUDD, or another loony liberal who hates all guns and individual liberty.

solus

i have thought about copying the document and presenting it to attendees at the next Mother's gather i might attend...

ipse

utbagpiper

Banned
I said, "Because the criminals will never give up their guns. They are, after all, criminals. They'll never obey a law like that."

And a lot of otherwise law-abiding gun owners are never going to give up their guns either. Making criminals out of well armed, upstanding, respectable citizens is probably not a good public policy.

As the open-border advocates ask about immigration enforcement, "Are you going to go door-to-door" and forcibly confiscate guns? Unlike the immigration debate, what portion of heretofore peaceful and law-abiding gun owners do you figure need to put up a fight before going door to door gets to be very dangerous, costly, and downright untenable?

Put another way, how well did alcohol Prohibition work out?

How well is Prohibition on other recreational drugs working out?

Drugs are consumable and must be constantly replenished on the market. Firearms (and modern ammo) have a lifespan of many decades, even centuries. Prohibition simply isn't going to happen in this nation where even minor changes like the double-nickel speed limit and trying to convert to metric have been abject failures just due to the nature of our society.

We are not England, Canada, or Australia. We are not Germany or Russia. Laws we don't like, just tend to get ignored and be largely unenforceable.

Charles