• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Charlotte Inquiry

PATRIOT88

Banned
Upon being informed of the city code and reading it myself, is open carry not allowed in Charlotte? It seems that its severely limiting as far as defense options go. Here I thought NC was a traditional open carry state, but unless there is an exception I am not seeing or missed, then it seems you can only carry musket/blackpowder arms that are 1898 or earlier in production date or Defense spray.

https://www.municode.com/library/nc...eId=PTIICOOR_CH15OFMIPR_ARTIINGE_S15-14PODAWE

carolina guy

Upon being informed of the city code and reading it myself, is open carry not allowed in Charlotte? It seems that its severely limiting as far as defense options go. Here I thought NC was a traditional open carry state, but unless there is an exception I am not seeing or missed, then it seems you can only carry musket/blackpowder arms that are 1898 or earlier in production date or Defense spray.

https://www.municode.com/library/nc...eId=PTIICOOR_CH15OFMIPR_ARTIINGE_S15-14PODAWE

Seems rather toothless...and would appear to only apply to city owned/leased real property. Not sure where you get the musket/pre-1898 part tho...those are still firearms under city code referenced.

Sec. 15-14. - Possession of dangerous weapons.
(a)
For the purposes of this section, the term "dangerous weapon" shall be defined as any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property, including, but not limited to, firearms; knives of any kind or type having a blade in excess of 3½ inches in length, except when used solely for preparation of food, instruction or maintenance; razors and razor blades, except when used solely for personal shaving; metallic knuckles; clubs, blackjacks and nightsticks; dynamite cartridges, bombs, grenades, mines and other powerful explosives; slingshots; shurikins; stun guns; and loaded canes.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.
(c)
This section shall not apply to the following persons while acting lawfully and within the scope of their duties and authority:
(1)
Law enforcement officers.
(2)
Officers and soldiers of the armed forces, militia and national guard.
(3)
Any person who carries a dangerous weapon onto the premises of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport for the sole purpose of shipping the weapon by air in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
(4)
Persons specifically authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their jobs.
(5)
Any other person authorized, in writing, by the city manager or his designee to carry or possess dangerous weapons while in or upon specified public property. The city manager may promulgate guidelines for the issuance of permits for the possession of dangerous weapons on public property. The purpose of the guidelines shall be to ensure that permits are issued only for lawful purposes and in circumstances which present no threat to the safety and welfare of any person.
(d)
This section shall not prohibit the lawful possession or carrying of dangerous weapons on the public streets and sidewalks, except as provided in section 15-18.

(Code 1985, § 15-23)

Note that 15-18 was repealed entirely in 2004.

Last edited:

PATRIOT88

Banned
Maybe I didn't understand it fully, but when I read it, I thought it was an outright ban of most common defense options for open carry, since it lists firearms, bowie knives/survival knives/combat knives, stun guns/tasers, batons. according to section a and according to section b, if I read it right, its basically saying open carry of the aforementioned into stores, restaurants and such is illegal? Are city code violations a guarantee for arrest? Or is it only NC GS that warrants arrest?

carolina guy

Maybe I didn't understand it fully, but when I read it, I thought it was an outright ban of most common defense options for open carry, since it lists firearms, bowie knives/survival knives/combat knives, stun guns/tasers, batons. according to section a and according to section b, if I read it right, its basically saying open carry of the aforementioned into stores, restaurants and such is illegal? Are city code violations a guarantee for arrest? Or is it only NC GS that warrants arrest?

Nope...it is only covering property owned/leased by the city and actually used by the city.

(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.

And city code violations are classed automatically by code as a Class 3 Misdemeanor, unless otherwise stated or covered by another law.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The ordinance is for city owned real estate, not private property, or streets, and highways. You should be fine in any business that is not posted.

PATRIOT88

Banned
Ok....has anyone open carried in Charlotte? What was it like? Any issues? Yeah, I was hoping it wasn't a police state in Charlotte, if it was, I would stay away. No state, town, city or county will ever have me if I cannot carry the defenses I wish to. Lets just say I am traditional/old world.

WalkingWolf

Ok....has anyone open carried in Charlotte? What was it like? Any issues? Yeah, I was hoping it wasn't a police state in Charlotte, if it was, I would stay away. No state, town, city or county will ever have me if I cannot carry the defenses I wish to. Lets just say I am traditional/old world.

I have carried in Charlotte, but then that has been a few years back. I open carried when I still drove a commercial flatbed. For some time I was picking up concrete construction slabs in Wilmington, and delivering them to Charlotte.

PerBast

Open carry in Charlotte

I just open carried in Charlotte on Sunday into the Zappata's Mexican restaurant in the University City area. No complaints from the full time staff and I am sure they saw it. I am actually glad I started to carry when traveling to this part of Charlotte. The area around the Hilton hotel used to be a really nice area. There were a lot of individuals that were in the area with cars that I tend to see in areas with gangs.

I have not carried downtown as of yet. Haven't had the need to travel to the city center in the last few years.

Michael

moonie

I just open carried in Charlotte on Sunday into the Zappata's Mexican restaurant in the University City area. No complaints from the full time staff and I am sure they saw it. I am actually glad I started to carry when traveling to this part of Charlotte. The area around the Hilton hotel used to be a really nice area. There were a lot of individuals that were in the area with cars that I tend to see in areas with gangs.

I have not carried downtown as of yet. Haven't had the need to travel to the city center in the last few years.

Michael

A Mexican restaurant without an ABC permit? Didn't know there was such a thing lol.

nobama

A Mexican restaurant without an ABC permit? Didn't know there was such a thing lol.

Good to have you back Moonie. Back to the OP, I went to Charolette for my job, and OCied everywhere we ate and even in the hotel, nothing said.

Afrowq

Is there a statute against OC in places with an ABC permit?

Not solely for places with the ABC permit, but there is a statute against carrying in an establishment where alcohol is both served and consumed. There has been recent legislation to protect licensed CCW holders in those locations, but not open carriers without a conceal carry license.

solus

Is there a statute against OC in places with an ABC permit?

first, welcome

second, in response to your query: § 14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-269.3.html

third, for your reading pleasure: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/Statutes.asp

fourth, NC Attorney General's firearm overview: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

fifth, did i say welcome to the forum?

ipse