• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentuckians invited to Open Carry University Walks in Ohio

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
That is also Derby Day. The first Saturday in May is a sacred day for Kentuckians. I am not sure I am allowed to leave the state on that day.
I certainly understand, however you could make the excuse that you were simply delivering mint juleps to those with Kentucky lineage... ;)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
THE WALK is ON !!

>> THE WALK is ON !! << (come at NOON)

I've been looking at weather radar and forecasts off and on all day. Although it appears that it may rain, my fearless prediction is that it will happen before or after the Walk, or that it will be minimal.

For those reasons, because next weekend's weather is uncertain, and because next weekend is the weekend before finals, we're going to go forward with the Walk.

The sources I've used are Weather.com and WUnderground.com

Whatever your source, make sure you use OXFORD, OH, not Cincinnati. Cincinnati is 30 miles from Oxford.

FB event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
>> After Walk Summary <<

As posted to the event page on Facebook:

First, the turnout was HUGE, despite rain. Approximately 58 people started the Walk, and more joined as we continued, bringing the total to an estimated 65 people, including 15 or more students. Simply stunning.

I simply can't thank everyone enough for braving the weather and/or the distance, to come.

In attendance were (and forgive me for not remembering everyone or not remembering everyone's name) Ben and his girlfriend, who traveled from NE Ohio (!), and Molly & Phil from Bowling Green, all four of whom had attended the Bowling Green Walk two weeks ago. Also in attendance were Ilya & Stephanie, and Rodney & Butch, who traveled from Louisville, KY. From Columbus, Ohio came Dominic and Kendall, and from Northern KY came Mike and Cory. Unreal.

At the assembly point were various media, including a Chinese student (the first of two we spoke to) who was somewhat astounded at the armed assemblage.

We walked through part of campus, guided by my memory and by Max and Abby (MU students) as well as other students and employees. We walked on a couple of town streets, then into the uptown area. Conversations were held by various participants along the way, and the group stopped and talked to a couple of female students who hadn't heard of the Walk. (and they weren't the only ones)

Finally, just before we ate, we stopped and talked to various protesters, including Magda Orlander and Evan Fackler. We repeatedly invited them to lunch to continue the conversations (and to get out of the rain), but they politely refused. It was a real shame.

My impression is that in their minds, a discussion of guns ought to be about *everything* that does or may involve guns. Regardless, it's too bad the discussion didn't continue, although I understand Stephen J. Feltoon, the MU grad who suggested an MU Walk to me, had a pleasant conversation after we left to eat.

That's it for me!

Please post YOUR impressions, thanks again for coming, and please FRIEND ME so you are notified of future events.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
>> Lying Mommy Alert <<

As poetdante indicated, we made the bigtime! The group that has and continues to lie and/or mislead the public about gun-related issues (as well as incidences I've personally been involved in) has posted about the MU Walk on their Facebook page.

You owe it to yourself to read the unhinged, hateful, uninformed, uncensored rhetoric that is spewed by various members, and take note of which posts garner lots of "likes'. Required reading!

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandAction/posts/971711422946778

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Most of the students (some hadn't yet arrived, and at least one didn't want to be photographed because she was concerned about her sorority's reaction), plus some guy in a red jacket.

k2h53n.jpg

The whole group (minus a few people).

3039y7q.jpg

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
One of the desires of the protesters re: the Walk was that they wanted to "...keep our campus safe from violence and white supremacy."

I guess it worked!

214cn0p.jpg

hotrod

I had a blast. It was well organized and fun. That is the wettest I've been since leaving the Marines.Yell at Gutshot and me next time we will try to make it !!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I had a blast. It was well organized and fun. That is the wettest I've been since leaving the Marines.Yell at Gutshot and me next time we will try to make it !!
Thank you. I'm glad you came, and sorry we didn't have much of a chance to talk. You're on my list! Maybe we can do the same sort of thing in the Bluegrass State one of these days. :cool: