• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentuckians invited to Open Carry University Walks in Ohio

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Some of us Ohioans have already taken part in activism in Kentucky (and vice versa), and we want to expand things further.

I've organized TWO Open Carry/Firearm Education Walks this spring, one in NW Ohio (Bowling Green, OH) and the other in SW Ohio (Oxford, OH), and would like to cordially invite our fellow activists south of the border to attend either one or both. The purpose of these Walks is twofold: 1) to engage in dialogue with students and members of the public regarding the RKBA, and 2) to push for, via activism and conversation, legal concealed campus carry.

The first Walk will take place in Bowling Green State University on April 16, 2016, and the second will be at Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) on April 30, 2016.

Both Walks start at 1 PM, include walking ON campus, surrounding streets (Oxford), and downtown, where we'll eat a late lunch, then return to campus. These will be the fourth and fifth such walks since 2014.

Here is the description of the BGSU Walk:

This walk follows in the footsteps of walks conducted in 2014 & 2015 at and *ON* the campuses of the University of Cincinnati, The Ohio State University, and the University of Akron. Links to those walks are at the bottom of this post.

Long guns are welcome **with slings and proper muzzle control**, pistols too, and literature is encouraged (with/without a group's name).

* ARMED student participation is bring worked on *

This Walk features an expansive campus, a vibrant downtown, and a walk along a main route. Bring your walking shoes to this one!

** In recognition that this is a educational, interactive, *public relations* walk, please leave “Don’t Tread on Me!”, “From My Cold Dead Hands!”, "3%", etc. flags/clothing, camo, grungy clothes, and signage at home. **

The purpose of the Walk is to inform and engage college students and the public about the right to keep and bear arms, including discussing how those rights are diminished by various laws - for instance, by making college campuses Criminal Empowerment Zones.

You, students, and the general public will get the most from this event by your being willing to engage people in conversation, by listening and responding, not by walking by or by saying sternly "It's my RIGHT!" when asked why you're participating.

If you've not attended a prior walk, take a look at the links below. There are videotapes of portions of the OSU and the UA walk, the UC walk has tons of discussion and conversation.

If you've not done anything like this before, you simply MUST come! :) Children are welcome and encouraged.

Free parking is available on the campus in Lot K near the intersection of Mercer & Wooster (NW of the intersection - see the campus map). >This is also the assembly point.<

Parking map: http://tinyurl.com/zbp4847

LUNCH - eating & fellowship will take place after we tour the BGSU campus and downtown Bowling Green.

I will post more as things develop, including and especially SAFETY.

Feel free to ask questions in the meanwhile, and I hope to see you there.

University of Cincinnati Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838/

The Ohio State University Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421/

University of Akron Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/1592187871040889/

The MU Walk is similar, except that ARMED *student* participation has already been approved.

I hope you can make one of these, and I know for a fact that at least two people in Cincinnati (myself and another driver) are looking for one or more cost-sharing passengers:

https://www.facebook.com/events/545388728974115 (Bowling Green State University, April 16, 2016)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/ (Miami University, April 30, 2016)

Last edited:

Animalou812

In Kentucky gun rights are sometimes taken for granted. Ohioans don't enjoy some of the freedoms that Kentucky has. I still believe it is important to help protect others, cause you never know when some anti gunner might get their way in Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
In Kentucky gun rights are sometimes taken for granted. Ohioans don't enjoy some of the freedoms that Kentucky has. I still believe it is important to help protect others, cause you never know when some anti gunner might get their way in Kentucky.
Absolutely.

In Kentucky, one can walk into the Statehouse armed - in Ohio that's a felony.

On the other hand, one can openly carry on public college campuses in Ohio (building carry is a legal threshold that hasn't been tested yet, though) - in KY, not so much.

These kind of events encourage dialogue and fellowship, across borders and between and among pro-gun, on the fence, and anti-gun people. Plus, it's a chance to show off your firearms and/or pink hair. ;)

Ahareht

Me and Valor (my service dog) will attend one or two. I am curious why each is on a Saturday? It would seem that more involvement and interaction with students and faculty (the target population campus carry benefits most) if they were to occur during the week. I fear campuses will remain largely empty on a Saturday.

Brian D.

Me and Valor (my service dog) will attend one or two. I am curious why each is on a Saturday? It would seem that more involvement and interaction with students and faculty (the target population campus carry benefits most) if they were to occur during the week. I fear campuses will remain largely empty on a Saturday.

That is always a concern. But I think BB62 would tell you that turn out among the walkers is best when on a Saturday or Sunday. I don't have a typical Monday-Friday work schedule, but many others do. In my opinion it's almost worse to have a small showing than if we didn't get together at all. The media isn't our friend for the most part, and would love to photograph a flop of a gathering.

solus

The NRA Annual Meeting is in Louisville this Year. Any legal hickups for open Carry
I believe there should be a significant presence of open carriers at the NRA Meeting in Louisville this year. I have not found any reason for this to have legal problems.

Do you have any wisdom to offer on this?

wow...that wasn't even a subtle transition to change of subject...

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
What Brian D. said is correct. Besides the fact that most participants work during the week, you should note that the Walks take place on campus AND off-campus. If the weather is good, the two Walks this spring have substantial opportunity for interaction, especially the one in Oxford, Ohio, a stereotypical college town.

Bowling Green is more spread out, but the downtown area is vibrant, and we will be walking to downtown on a main thoroughfare.

Besides the weather, another factor is the mix of resident versus commuter students. Finally, while interaction is highly desired, but so is media coverage.

Bottom line: one can't have everything at every college, but not every college has had a Walk - because they've been lacking in the various elements described above.

Now that you have all this information, I expect to see you and Valor in Oxford! :)

Ahareht

Oxford? KK. Anyways, why the off topic discussion of the NRA convention. Not to be rude, guys, but please move it to the appropriate thread. It makes sorting through responses less confusing.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
ARMED Student Participation at BGSU is a GO !

I received an e-mailed letter today from Sean P. FitzGerald, General Counsel of BGSU, which said in part:

"As we understand it, Miami University, the University of Cincinnati, the Ohio State University and the University of Akron have all agreed to let their students participate in similar events to the one you propose for BGSU. Based on that understanding, as well as your representations about your planned event, the University will not take disciplinary action against a student under our Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in your walk at BGSU."

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Miami U sends out notice

Victory Bill, an OCDO member and a Miami U student, posted this to the Miami U Walk Facebook page, but since he's been unable to post it here, I'm doing in for him. A number of students have since signed up for the Walk.

http://miamioh.edu/news/campus-news/...arry-walk.html (link added 4/11/16)

This was sent out today, to all Miami students as a notification.

Organized "open carry" event to be held on Miami's campus and in Oxford

A group (no, it's just me - JS) that has led "open carry" walks at other Ohio campuses plans to lead one at Miami University's Oxford campus and in the City of Oxford at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 30.

Ohio law permits people to carry weapons on public property.

Led by Jeff Smith of Cincinnati, the group has held "open carry" walks without incident at other campuses, including the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University and the University of Akron.

The group will not enter any university buildings carrying weapons. Miami will have police officers stationed near the walk in order to help promote safety and protect the rights of all, including walk participants.

The university will not take disciplinary action against students under the Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this organized event. Weapons are not permitted in the residence halls or other buildings on campus and students should contact the Miami University Police Department regarding storage of weapons and other information pertaining to participating in the walk.

The University of Cincinnati student paper covered U.C.'s event:
http://www.newsrecord.org/news/camp...cle_42c3f31e-c367-11e3-acd1-001a4bcf6878.html

This is the Akron Beacon Journal article on the walk at the University of Akron:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news...lk-across-university-of-akron-campus-1.586490

END QUOTE

As I posted to the Facebook page in response:

** NOTE ** - the student reporter @ UC asked me about contact with people near the beginning of the Walk. I answered honestly, foolishly thinking that a) the reporter was going to be with us the whole time, and b) that he would write a balanced article.

Uhhh, NO!

It should be no surprise to anyone that when you're leading a group of 70 or so nicely dressed, well armed people, the leader doesn't get questions, but after 20 or so more people pass by, THEN bystanders ask "What the heck is this all about?" - and so it was with the UC Walk.

Once I dropped back, the questions came in waves and MANY, MANY conversations were held with inquisitive students and members of the public.

AND, I learned a valuable lesson: be very guarded in what you say to the media - the same media that regularly twists facts and information when the subjects is related to firearms.

Here's a link to the FB event page, read things for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Another great video by OCDO member Werz.

The Bowling Green State University Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk:

[video=youtube;fm9LfgsyefM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm9LfgsyefM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
CLASSROOM PRESENTATION @ Miami University

I was graciously invited by Dr. Amanda Gillespie to speak today to her POL-345 (Politics of Gun Control) class at Miami U.

Channel 12 from Cincinnati was there, as was the local newspaper.

Professor Gillespie told the students of my background, and then I spoke about my introduction to firearms, about firearms themselves, the law, my activism, and the status of my current litigation with the St. Louis Zoo.

I really enjoyed it, and a number of students took part in multiple discussions.

One student said she had even done research on me! <gasp> Although she said she was on the other side of the gun control discussion, I of course invited her to come next Saturday - and I hope she does!

Here's a link the the local news piece, with a short video: http://www.journal-news.com/news/ne...r-students-very-respectful-discussing-/nq864/

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I was graciously invited by Dr. Amanda Gillespie to speak today to her POL-345 (Politics of Gun Control) class at Miami U.

Channel 12 from Cincinnati was there, as was the local newspaper.

Professor Gillespie told the students of my background, and then I spoke about my introduction to firearms, about firearms themselves, the law, my activism, and the status of my current litigation with the St. Louis Zoo.

I really enjoyed it, and a number of students took part in multiple discussions.

One student said she had even done research on me! <gasp> Although she said she was on the other side of the gun control discussion, I of course invited her to come next Saturday - and I hope she does!

Here's a link the the local news piece, with a short video: http://www.journal-news.com/news/ne...r-students-very-respectful-discussing-/nq864/
Here's the Channel 12 report, with a couple of students speaking: http://local12.com/news/local/gun-control-debate-miami-class-discusses-open-carry-walk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Rain threatening MU Walk

Keep an eye on the Facebook page, because the weather forecast is not good at the moment.

in case of rain, I *may* change the date to May 7, which unfortunately is the weekend before finals.