Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Odd background denial

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3

    Odd background denial

    So I had something very strange happen to me this week. I have been looking to make a three firearm purchase. I wanted to buy a Wyndham Weaponry SRC AR-15 .223/5.56, and a Walther PPQ 9mm for myself. Then a Ruger LC9s purple for my wife. On Monday I bought the AR rifle (in my name) and the Ruger (in my wife's name, as to not infringe upon the firearm transfer laws) from cabela's with no problems what so ever. Cabela's did not have the Walther in stock (even though their computer said they did). This wasn't a problem for me though. I knew of another shop that had the handgun in stock, in the FDE finish I truly wanted. The next day I went to the other shop to purchase the awesome piece of equipment and was denied on my background check! I filled the appeal paperwork and put the weapon on lay away in the hopes that this was just a fluke. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Or have any explanation/advice for me?

    Even the gun shop manager was confused and said he had never experienced anything like this before...... Dunno

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Being "not approved" and "denied" are different. Sure you were simply the victim of a system issue and not a BR issue per se?

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Being "not approved" and "denied" are different. Sure you were simply the victim of a system issue and not a BR issue per se?
    The shop said that I was "denied" but offered up the appeal paperwork due to the fact that I furnished proof of purchase from the day before. What do you mean by "BR issue"?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    Sounds to me like backdoor gun control! The Feds have your name for 24 hours and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that they have a system flag when multiple purchases (especially from multiple vendors) are detected within that short period.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeejohnson4412 View Post
    The shop said that I was "denied" but offered up the appeal paperwork due to the fact that I furnished proof of purchase from the day before. What do you mean by "BR issue"?
    BR = background

    IE not eligible


    vs.

    System down

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Sounds to me like backdoor gun control! The Feds have your name for 24 hours and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that they have a system flag when multiple purchases (especially from multiple vendors) are detected within that short period.
    Would not surprise me either ...

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Sounds to me like backdoor gun control! The Feds have your name for 24 hours and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that they have a system flag when multiple purchases (especially from multiple vendors) are detected within that short period.
    That's what I was thinking as well. As I said I followed the appeal process hopefully they will reverse the decision. If not I'll just retry at a later date.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Or just build you own guns .. forget the BS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •