• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry University Walks - Bowling Green & Miami University (Oxford)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Miami U sends out notice

Victory Bill, a Miami U student, posted this to the Miami U Walk Facebook page, but since he's been unable to post it here, I'm doing in for him. A number of students have since signed up for the Walk.

http://miamioh.edu/news/campus-news/2016/04/open-carry-walk.html (link added 4/11/16)

This was sent out today, to all Miami students as a notification.

Organized "open carry" event to be held on Miami's campus and in Oxford

A group (no, it's just me - JS) that has led "open carry" walks at other Ohio campuses plans to lead one at Miami University's Oxford campus and in the City of Oxford at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 30.

Ohio law permits people to carry weapons on public property.

Led by Jeff Smith of Cincinnati, the group has held "open carry" walks without incident at other campuses, including the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University and the University of Akron.

The group will not enter any university buildings carrying weapons. Miami will have police officers stationed near the walk in order to help promote safety and protect the rights of all, including walk participants.

The university will not take disciplinary action against students under the Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this organized event. Weapons are not permitted in the residence halls or other buildings on campus and students should contact the Miami University Police Department regarding storage of weapons and other information pertaining to participating in the walk.

The University of Cincinnati student paper covered U.C.'s event:
http://www.newsrecord.org/news/camp...cle_42c3f31e-c367-11e3-acd1-001a4bcf6878.html

This is the Akron Beacon Journal article on the walk at the University of Akron:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news...lk-across-university-of-akron-campus-1.586490

END QUOTE

As I posted to the Facebook page in response:

** NOTE ** - the student reporter @ UC asked me about contact with people near the beginning of the Walk. I answered honestly, foolishly thinking that a) the reporter was going to be with us the whole time, and b) that he would write a balanced article.

Uhhh, NO!

It should be no surprise to anyone that when you're leading a group of 70 or so nicely dressed, well armed people, the leader doesn't get questions, but after 20 or so more people pass by, THEN bystanders ask "What the heck is this all about?" - and so it was with the UC Walk.

Once I dropped back, the questions came in waves and MANY, MANY conversations were held with inquisitive students and members of the public.

AND, I learned a valuable lesson: be very guarded in what you say to the media - the same media that regularly twists facts and information when the subjects is related to firearms.

Here's a link to the FB event page, read things for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Victory Bill, a Miami U student, posted this to the Miami U Walk Facebook page, but since he's been unable to post it here, I'm doing in for him. --snipped--
Victory Bill is a user/poster here - look above your last post to this thread. :)

Perhaps "unable" in this case means not available now, as in busy elsewhere.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Victory Bill, a Miami U student, posted this to the Miami U Walk Facebook page, but since he's been unable to post it here, I'm doing in for him. A number of students have since signed up for the Walk.

This was sent out today, to all Miami students as a notification.

Organized "open carry" event to be held on Miami's campus and in Oxford

A group (no, it's just me - JS) that has led "open carry" walks at other Ohio campuses plans to lead one at Miami University's Oxford campus and in the City of Oxford at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 30.

Ohio law permits people to carry weapons on public property.

Led by Jeff Smith of Cincinnati, the group has held "open carry" walks without incident at other campuses, including the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University and the University of Akron.

The group will not enter any university buildings carrying weapons. Miami will have police officers stationed near the walk in order to help promote safety and protect the rights of all, including walk participants.

The university will not take disciplinary action against students under the Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this organized event. Weapons are not permitted in the residence halls or other buildings on campus and students should contact the Miami University Police Department regarding storage of weapons and other information pertaining to participating in the walk.

The University of Cincinnati student paper covered U.C.'s event:
http://www.newsrecord.org/news/camp...cle_42c3f31e-c367-11e3-acd1-001a4bcf6878.html

This is the Akron Beacon Journal article on the walk at the University of Akron:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news...lk-across-university-of-akron-campus-1.586490

END QUOTE

As I posted to the Facebook page in response:

** NOTE ** - the student reporter @ UC asked me about contact with people near the beginning of the Walk. I answered honestly, foolishly thinking that a) the reporter was going to be with us the whole time, and b) that he would write a balanced article.

Uhhh, NO!

It should be no surprise to anyone that when you're leading a group of 70 or so nicely dressed, well armed people, the leader doesn't get questions, but after 20 or so more people pass by, THEN bystanders ask "What the heck is this all about?" - and so it was with the UC Walk.

Once I dropped back, the questions came in waves and MANY, MANY conversations were held with inquisitive students and members of the public.

AND, I learned a valuable lesson: be very guarded in what you say to the media - the same media that regularly twists facts and information when the subjects is related to firearms.

Here's a link to the FB event page, read things for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838

Whoever posted the notice to the students, I guess, doesn't understand the law.
Ohio law does permits people to carry weapons on public property. Open carried without a license and concealed with a license. BUT, on public college or university property you can only OPEN CARRY. You cannot conceal carry on public Ohio campuses.

Victory Bill

Let me know your thoughts on this. Here are crime statistics provided by Miami University, the most recent data is from 2014. By far, the two most common criminal activities on campus are sexual assault and burglary. There have been numerous posters, around campus, speaking to the sexual assaults around the University. Would a reasonable person associate the wearing of a t-shirt/sweatshirt representing an anti-sexual assault position as a legitimate correlation to campus carry. Or do you think it would be viewed as an attempt to co-opt another movement? After all, how can any decent person object to ending sexual assault?

Last edited:

Brian D.

VB, that is an interesting question. I could sure see tying the expansion of carry in with preventing/stopping sexual assaults (as well as many other serious crimes, obviously).

The lefties wouldn't connect those dots though, continuing to hold forth that only bad things happen when good people are armed.

But, for how many years have their tactics against rape, and talking those points all to hell, has that mindset failed to solve the problem?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He is a bit wound up, and he does need to understand the law better, though, as he seems to think that he can't OC in a park.

But, if you'd like me to extend a personal invitation to him, let me know.
IMHO - he could benefit from someone taking him under their wing - the walk might be a good opportunity to help make him a better advocate.

We have horse whisperers, dog whisperers - why not OC whisperers. :)

solus

Maybe ask the nice Medina LEO if he would like to attend also. :lol: :lol:

Who knows but that he might have learned something, including not to lie (apparently) about his name.

Scheisse, and i have to be in Medina next week...my bloody luck will be i run into this nice LE and his silly olde & bald sidekick whose arms are crossed...

ipse

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Jeff......I am trying to make plans to attend w/ two others and poss. my oldest.....he's 13.

I'll be contacting you through FB about a few things regarding the walk when I get a moment.
Great! I'll be in and out today, but will respond as soon as I'm able.

Midwest

Fox 19 Cincinnati story on the Miami University OC Walk

Fox 19 Cincinnati story on the Miami University OC walk

Cincinnati TV Fox 19 is reporting about the scheduled Miami University OC Walk .
Other Cincinnati TV stations, including WLWT 5 and WKRC 12 are mentioning it too.

'Open carry' gun walk at Miami University'

http://www.fox19.com/story/31712170/open-carry-walk-at-miami-university

"OXFORD, OH (FOX19) – -

A group that has led “open carry” gun walks at other Ohio campuses is set to hold one at Miami University’s Oxford campus and in the city of Oxford later this month.

The event will be held at 1 p.m. April 30.

Ohio law permits people to carry weapons on public property

Led by Jeff Smith of Cincinnati, the group has held “open carry” walks without incident at other campuses, including the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University and the University of Akron, according to Miami University's website."

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Fox 19 Cincinnati story on the Miami University OC walk

Cincinnati TV Fox 19 is reporting about the scheduled Miami University OC Walk .
Other Cincinnati TV stations, including WLWT 5 and WKRC 12 are mentioning it too.

'Open carry' gun walk at Miami University'

http://www.fox19.com/story/31712170/open-carry-walk-at-miami-university

"OXFORD, OH (FOX19) – -

A group that has led “open carry” gun walks at other Ohio campuses is set to hold one at Miami University’s Oxford campus and in the city of Oxford later this month.

The event will be held at 1 p.m. April 30.

Ohio law permits people to carry weapons on public property

Led by Jeff Smith of Cincinnati, the group has held “open carry” walks without incident at other campuses, including the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University and the University of Akron, according to Miami University's website."
Although I'm thrilled that MU put out the statement that they did (and Fox 19's "report" is basically a cut and paste of it), it's inaccurate in a number of ways.

Here's MU's release: http://miamioh.edu/news/campus-news/2016/04/open-carry-walk.html