• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry University Walks - Bowling Green & Miami University (Oxford)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
You are cordially invited to one or both of TWO Open Carry/Firearm Education Walks this spring - one in NW Ohio (Bowling Green, OH) and the other in SW Ohio (Oxford, OH).

The purpose of these Walks is twofold: 1) to engage in dialogue with students and members of the public regarding the RKBA, and 2) to push for, via activism and conversation, legal concealed campus carry.

The first Walk will take place in Bowling Green State University on April 16, 2016, and the second will be at Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) on April 30, 2016.

Both Walks start at 1 PM, include walking ON campus, surrounding streets (Oxford), and downtown, where we'll eat a late lunch, then return to campus. These will be the fourth and fifth such walks since 2014.

Here is the description of the BGSU Walk:

This walk follows in the footsteps of walks conducted in 2014 & 2015 at and *ON* the campuses of the University of Cincinnati, The Ohio State University, and the University of Akron. Links to those walks are at the bottom of this post.

Long guns are welcome **with slings and proper muzzle control**, pistols too, and literature is encouraged (with/without a group's name).

* ARMED student participation is bring worked on *

This Walk features an expansive campus, a vibrant downtown, and a walk along a main route. Bring your walking shoes to this one!

** In recognition that this is a educational, interactive, *public relations* walk, please leave “Don’t Tread on Me!”, “From My Cold Dead Hands!”, "3%", etc. flags/clothing, camo, grungy clothes, and signage at home. **

The purpose of the Walk is to inform and engage college students and the public about the right to keep and bear arms, including discussing how those rights are diminished by various laws - for instance, by making college campuses Criminal Empowerment Zones.

You, students, and the general public will get the most from this event by your being willing to engage people in conversation, by listening and responding, not by walking by or by saying sternly "It's my RIGHT!" when asked why you're participating.

If you've not attended a prior walk, take a look at the links below. There are videotapes of portions of the OSU and the UA walk, the UC walk has tons of discussion and conversation.

If you've not done anything like this before, you simply MUST come! :) Children are welcome and encouraged.

Free parking is available on the campus in Lot K near the intersection of Mercer & Wooster (NW of the intersection - see the campus map). >This is also the assembly point.<

Parking map: http://tinyurl.com/zbp4847

LUNCH - eating & fellowship will take place after we tour the BGSU campus and downtown Bowling Green.

I will post more as things develop, including and especially SAFETY.

Feel free to ask questions in the meanwhile, and I hope to see you there.

University of Cincinnati Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838/

The Ohio State University Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421/

University of Akron Walk: https://www.facebook.com/events/1592187871040889/

The MU Walk is similar, except that ARMED *student* participation has already been approved.

>> Carpool offers and requests are available on Facebook, but of course could also be done here on OCDO. <<

https://www.facebook.com/events/545388728974115 (Bowling Green State University, April 16, 2016)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/ (Miami University, April 30, 2016)

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
ARMED Student Participation at BGSU is a GO !

I received an e-mailed letter today from Sean P. FitzGerald, General Counsel of BGSU, which said in part:

"As we understand it, Miami University, the University of Cincinnati, the Ohio State University and the University of Akron have all agreed to let their students participate in similar events to the one you propose for BGSU. Based on that understanding, as well as your representations about your planned event, the University will not take disciplinary action against a student under our Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in your walk at BGSU."

Victory Bill

New old guy here

I'm currently a "non-traditional student" here at Miami. Meaning, I'm old, have a family and live off campus. Anyway, today in of the courses I'm taking, POL-345C (The Politics of Gun Control), we had a guest speaker from the Butler County Sheriff's Office. This is how I found out about this event. I have not participated in a walk before but I'm definitely going to attend this one possibly going to bring two of my three kids (ages 6 and 4). I will be sure to look at some of the videos posted from other walks. The reaction to the news of the walk brought gasps from most of the students, which was pretty funny to me. I have not received any emails from the university concerning the walk, as of yet, and while there are events on the school's calendar for that weekend it isn't; more than likely because it isn't a school sanctioned event. If I hear anything from the university, I'll be sure to pass it along here. If you have any questions I might be able to answer, please let me know. Thanks for the excuse to go out and by a sling :D

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I'm currently a "non-traditional student" here at Miami. Meaning, I'm old, have a family and live off campus. Anyway, today in of the courses I'm taking, POL-345C (The Politics of Gun Control), we had a guest speaker from the Butler County Sheriff's Office. This is how I found out about this event. I have not participated in a walk before but I'm definitely going to attend this one possibly going to bring two of my three kids (ages 6 and 4). I will be sure to look at some of the videos posted from other walks. The reaction to the news of the walk brought gasps from most of the students, which was pretty funny to me. I have not received any emails from the university concerning the walk, as of yet, and while there are events on the school's calendar for that weekend it isn't; more than likely because it isn't a school sanctioned event. If I hear anything from the university, I'll be sure to pass it along here. If you have any questions I might be able to answer, please let me know. Thanks for the excuse to go out and by a sling :D
Welcome aboard.....

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... Anyway, today in of the courses I'm taking, POL-345C (The Politics of Gun Control), we had a guest speaker from the Butler County Sheriff's Office. This is how I found out about this event. I have not participated in a walk before but I'm definitely going to attend this one possibly going to bring two of my three kids (ages 6 and 4). I will be sure to look at some of the videos posted from other walks. The reaction to the news of the walk brought gasps from most of the students, which was pretty funny to me. ...
That is VERY, VERY interesting.

Please share whatever further details you'd like, either privately or publicly - especially about what the speaker had to say, and the reactions (verbal and non-verbal) of the students.

Victory Bill

That is VERY, VERY interesting.

Please share whatever further details you'd like, either privately or publicly - especially about what the speaker had to say, and the reactions (verbal and non-verbal) of the students.

The speaker was from the Butler County Sheriff's Office, I got his card afterwards, his name is Lt. John Sons (would make a pretty funny pseudonym, like Mike Hunt). Anyway, he was pro-guns everywhere to include college campuses and high schools. He brought a couple of colleagues with him, they also were pro 2A. One of the students asked why there would be a demonstration on campus (in obvious disagreement) another student gave her "what for." He told her there are 50 states and there are a couple where she would feel more than comfortable and that she was free to move. He also told her that he was tired of people attempting to take away others' rights just because exercising said rights make them uncomfortable. I was impressed with the young fella (21ish).

Victory Bill

I must say that was a very gentlemanly response.

All three of you were at OFCC, right? I had been away for a while, moving, working, and now school but I needed to get back into the forums and stuff. What happened over at OFCC? Not asking for details, just generalities, if you don't mind.

Victory Bill

Kroger in Oxford

I have read some conflicting reports but in the interest of those attending not from here. The Kroger in Oxford does "wine tasting." I have read that if you do not have a CCW you are not allowed to open carry in such an establishment. For about a week, the store was posted about a month ago but they have since taken down the signage. Just a heads up for those not familiar with the area.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The speaker was from the Butler County Sheriff's Office, I got his card afterwards, his name is Lt. John Sons (would make a pretty funny pseudonym, like Mike Hunt). Anyway, he was pro-guns everywhere to include college campuses and high schools. He brought a couple of colleagues with him, they also were pro 2A. One of the students asked why there would be a demonstration on campus (in obvious disagreement) another student gave her "what for." He told her there are 50 states and there are a couple where she would feel more than comfortable and that she was free to move. He also told her that he was tired of people attempting to take away others' rights just because exercising said rights make them uncomfortable. I was impressed with the young fella (21ish).
Thank you! VERY interesting!

Now we just need for that student and others to find their way to the FB event page, and spread the word.

Thanks again.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
All three of you were at OFCC, right? I had been away for a while, moving, working, and now school but I needed to get back into the forums and stuff. What happened over at OFCC? Not asking for details, just generalities, if you don't mind.
Just CoL and I were at OFCC. I'm still there, but post infrequently because there is a low level of OC activity there.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have read some conflicting reports but in the interest of those attending not from here. The Kroger in Oxford does "wine tasting." I have read that if you do not have a CCW you are not allowed to open carry in such an establishment. For about a week, the store was posted about a month ago but they have since taken down the signage. Just a heads up for those not familiar with the area.
That's correct - no carrying (OC or CC) where alcohol is served unless you have a CHL. I believe there is some language in the ORC that doesn't make the whole store off-limits simply because of wine tastings (as opposed to an establishment where alcohol serving is an indispensable part of the business) - but I can't think of the specific language at the moment.

Victory Bill

Thank you! VERY interesting!

Now we just need for that student and others to find their way to the FB event page, and spread the word.

Thanks again.

You bet. I can send a link to the FB page to the class roster.

Here are the events the University has scheduled for the 30th.
Miami eSports Convention Sat 4/30 8am - Sunday 5/1 2am
Fighting with Food Workshop: Sat 4/30 8am - 4pm
MUM's Bookfest!: Sat 4/30 10am - 3pm
The Long Christmas Ride Home: Sat 4/30 2 - 4pm
The Long Christmas Ride Home: Sat 4/30 7:30 - 9:30pm
Men's Glee Club: Sat 4/30 7:30 - 10pm

Not sure how much foot traffic we'll see but we'll see.

Victory Bill

Email sent to students

This is the email I sent to the students in my class.

"For those interested in the event, as announced by the B.C.S.O. speakers, here is a link to the Facebook page set up for this event. Which ever side of the issue you are on, I would encourage you to come out and meet some of the people, engage in civil dialogue with them and walk away from the experience with a bit of a broader view on the subject. If it re-enforces your position, great, if it changes your position, great. All points of view are welcomed and encouraged to attend. Students wishing to participate in the event have been exempted from the student code of conduct, from my understanding, but I will verify with the source of the exemption. Hope to see some of you there on the 30th.

Warmest Regards,

Bill"

I made the word "link" a hyperlink to the FB page in the email.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
This is the email I sent to the students in my class.

"For those interested in the event, as announced by the B.C.S.O. speakers, here is a link to the Facebook page set up for this event. Which ever side of the issue you are on, I would encourage you to come out and meet some of the people, engage in civil dialogue with them and walk away from the experience with a bit of a broader view on the subject. If it re-enforces your position, great, if it changes your position, great. All points of view are welcomed and encouraged to attend. Students wishing to participate in the event have been exempted from the student code of conduct, from my understanding, but I will verify with the source of the exemption. Hope to see some of you there on the 30th.

Warmest Regards,

Bill"

I made the word "link" a hyperlink to the FB page in the email.
A perfect message. Thanks very much.

Please accept my friend request on FB.

Victory Bill

Miami University puts out announcement

This is what Miami University put out to all students today.

"Organized "open carry" event to be held on Miami's campus and in Oxford
All Miami
A group that has led "open carry" walks at other Ohio campuses plans to lead one at Miami University's Oxford campus and in the City of Oxford at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 30.

Ohio law permits people to carry weapons on public property.

Led by Jeff Smith of Cincinnati, the group has held "open carry" walks without incident at other campuses, including the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University and the University of Akron.

The group will not enter any university buildings carrying weapons. Miami will have police officers stationed near the walk in order to help promote safety and protect the rights of all, including walk participants.

The university will not take disciplinary action against students under the Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this organized event. Weapons are not permitted in the residence halls or other buildings on campus and students should contact the Miami University Police Department regarding storage of weapons and other information pertaining to participating in the walk.

The University of Cincinnati student paper covered U.C.'s event:
http://www.newsrecord.org/news/camp...cle_42c3f31e-c367-11e3-acd1-001a4bcf6878.html

This is the Akron Beacon Journal article on the walk at the University of Akron:
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news...lk-across-university-of-akron-campus-1.586490