• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did WTVR promote breaking the law?

Repeater

I saw this on WTVR and I have to wonder if they are aware carrying a concealed weapon is a crime.

New bra design conceals knife, pepper spray for protection
[Jennifer Cutrona] invented and patented a new self-defense bra, called “Booby Trap Bras.”

The very day after her assault she sewed a sheath into her sports bra so she could carry a knife for protection.

She patented the bra – designed for activity -- which provides women a way to safely store a special knife or pepper spray which they can easily access if attacked. The "Just in Case Knife Bra" retails for $54.99 (knife sold on website separately) and the "Just in Case Pepper Spray Bra" retails for $49.99.

[size=+2]Legal?[/size]
knife-in-bra.jpeg

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm an inventor .. I assure you that many things I have invented are not legal to make...I invent them anyways because I'm an inventor, its what we do.

So no, this person is not advocating violating the law ... just an inventor...buy the product and use it as you wish.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Probably legal, although the design of the blade could be problematic.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308/

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

stay safe.

Midwest

It is my understanding that the lady was from Texas not Virginia

It is my understanding that the lady is from Texas not Virginia.
Was the TV interview made in Texas or Virginia?

"Last April, Jennifer Cutrona was training for a marathon. Her run took her to a favorite wooded trail near her home in Texas."

The site http://www.boobytrapbras.com/
There is phone number (upper left corner) with an 512 area code. 512 is listed as the Austin TX area.

Was WTVR just replaying a TV story from another Texas TV Station?

If not, why would WTVR go all the way to Texas just to do a story?

Or was the lady in Virgina to promote her product?

TFred

The Code of Virginia does not appear to define a Bowie knife. Wikipedia says that typical characteristics include:

• large sheath knife
  • a crossguard
  • a clip point
While this one certainly has a clip point, I don't think any reasonable person could claim that it's really a Bowie knife.

The Wiki article implies that the Virginia law against carrying a Bowie knife concealed was enacted soon after the Alamo. It would be very interesting indeed to trace that down to see if it is true.

I agree, this one is probably way overdue for repeal. It would be interesting to know how many convictions there are each year for carrying a concealed Bowie knife in Virginia.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The Code of Virginia does not appear to define a Bowie knife. Wikipedia says that typical characteristics include:

• large sheath knife
  • a crossguard
  • a clip point
While this one certainly has a clip point, I don't think any reasonable person could claim that it's really a Bowie knife.

The Wiki article implies that the Virginia law against carrying a Bowie knife concealed was enacted soon after the Alamo. It would be very interesting indeed to trace that down to see if it is true.

I agree, this one is probably way overdue for repeal. It would be interesting to know how many convictions there are each year for carrying a concealed Bowie knife in Virginia.

TFred

Va is infamous for holding on to dear life to wording like this:
any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection
The only way to know if you (but not necessarily the next person) are legal is to be tried and found not guilty.

But it does keep the tilecrawlers in business.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
top of the head: bowie knife has an upswept blade, at least one bloodletting channel, double ground, with a pointy tip, and is eight to twelve inches long, though can be longer. a dirk is a double-ground, double-edged pointy stabbing weapon, essentially a short sword, around 14-18 inches long; a ballistic knife requires a spring, usually has no handle, and is propelled out of a tube by activation of a button or switch, releasing the spring tension and allowing the blade to fly about twenty feet or so, no special characteristics of the blade, which could actually be cylindrical; switchblades also under spring tension, released by activation of button or switch, no special characteristics of the blade, but excludes butterfly knives and spring-assisted blades. I've never lost one of those cases, btw, because the cops generally arrest people for any kind of knife if they decide they want to arrest them for something, anything. smart-assed kids, mostly. the knife in the bra might warrant an arrest if the person wearing it is doing something else naughty but the cops can't think of what to arrest him/her with (now that transvestism is no longer a crime).