• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RVA OC breakfast Sat 3/19

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
RVA OC breakfast Sat 3/19, 9:30am

Rise and Shine Diner
Atlee Shopping Center
10372 Leadbetter Rd.......... Directions
Ashland, Va.
23005-3420

Sidestreet introduced me to this jewel today - great home cooking, very reasonable prices, fast and courteous service, pro 2A/RKBA signs. They could seat from one to thirty with ease in addition to their regular clientele. Lots of parking.

The front facade simply reads "Diner." If you come to the rescue squad building, you passed it a 1/2 block back.

Just minutes away from Greentop and Bass Pro Shop.

Did I say I like it? I do. Reminds me of the old RCD too.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Similar signs to these at Rise and Shine Diner.
icon14.png

30rrzuf.jpg

Last edited:

sidestreet

Plenty to like there…,

mrs. sidestreet and I have been there numerous times for breakfast, very good food, never had a bad meal, price was nice, great/quick/friendly/attentive service, very 2A/RKBA friendly as witnessed by the sign on the wall behind the cash register, as well as the word "freedom" in numerous places around the diner. There are chairs and benches out front to sit and talk (with a place to stub out your cigarette butts) like we used to do at another place that I will not mention anymore until they wise up.

The direction map is a bit skewed though, don't go by what's pointed out on the map. If you are coming by I-95, it's exit 86 A which will take you East on Sliding Hill Road until you come to the first intersection (which will also have a traffic light) which will be S. Leadbetter to the left (North) and Atlee Station Road to the right (South), take a left (or North if you prefer) and then an immediate right hand turn into Atlee Square Shopping Center (a small strip mall which is the NorthEast corner of the intersection) and you will see the "Rise & Shine" sign and the "Diner" sign also, they are one and the same place. It is East across S. Leadbetter Road from the Sheetz, also located at the intersection, if that helps.

In short, I really have been impressed by this little place, we enjoy treating our friends and family to breakfast there, and they seem likewise impressed, I hope you will be too!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

RVA OC breakfast Sat 3/19, 9:30am

Rise and Shine Diner
Atlee Shopping Center
10372 Leadbetter Rd.......... Directions
Ashland, Va.
23005-3420

Sidestreet introduced me to this jewel today - great home cooking, very reasonable prices, fast and courteous service, pro 2A/RKBA signs. They could seat from one to thirty with ease in addition to their regular clientele. Lots of parking.

The front facade simply reads "Diner." If you come to the rescue squad building, you passed it a 1/2 block back.

Just minutes away from Greentop and Bass Pro Shop.

Did I say I like it? I do. Reminds me of the old RCD too.

Told Sidestreet last night that it must be good as here it is only Wednesday and you already posted a location?????

First time that has happened since I started hanging out.

;>)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Told Sidestreet last night that it must be good as here it is only Wednesday and you already posted a location?????

;>)

Actually, it was so much a pleasure that it was posted on Tuesday - following Monday's test run. :)

Haven't tried their biscuits n' gravy yet - thought we'd leave that to you.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Did you say, "writhe and whine"?

Since the location's like half an hour closer for me than some whacko joint out in Chesterfield, there's a nonzero probability that Peaches the Wonderdog and I can show up.
Copy of DLH_1469b.jpg

scouser

Only thing I'd add to the directions Mr Sidestreet gave is that when you come from US1 or I-95 and you get to the light at Leadbetter Rd where you need to turn left, there are 2 left turn lanes, so you'd be better positioning yourself in the right hand of those 2 left turn lanes. There is also the option of going straight ahead at that light instead, and making a sharp left turn into the other end of the parking lot at the end of the median (but the way Sidestreet said is the far better option).

sidestreet

Thanks Scouser…,

was going to put that in too but you beat me to it. Skid, you'll like this, the Texas Pete is usually already at the table, no need to ask or bring your own. I just love the way they cook the hash browns (they usually ask if you want onions mixed in, and I tell'em "of course!") , I think I'm gonna get a double order of them tomorrow. Gonna have to try the salt herring one day too!

Mrs. sidestreet's only complaint is mild, and it's that they don't have orange marmalade for the toast. Hopefully, that's not a deal breaker for the rest of you. Me…, I'll give'm a pass on that.

Planning on going to the gun show after.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

scouser

;>)

I'd suggest a zipper or some Velcro to fix that

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Got room for three NoVA escapees? Then we'll head for the gun show too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Meeting will be called to order at 9:30 - we have a quorum. Don't forget to bring your proxies. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was a really good breakfast. Food was delicious, hot, and fast - just like the conversation.

Our server was very familiar with OCDO and VCDL too.

Finally got to meet Peaches. It is obvious she holds Dan in high regard. She'll make a great service dog for him.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Miss Peaches did very well; her daddy was very proud of her. Apropos of which, we'd discussed how to train children and other animals. I'd gotten a clue from a seminar I'd attended a long time ago, given by a guy who styled himself a "Christian sociologist", name of Bill Gothard. It was called, "Institute in basic youth conflicts". The church I was going to at the time paid my way because they figured I needed help (being a conflicted youth at the time). I got a lot out of it and went again several years later. One of the things the guy said that really stuck with me was the need for consistency, honesty, and truth, as well as uncompromising love. If the kid (or dog) knows he can absolutely trust you, then they don't need to second guess whatever you tell them to do. If their world requires them to figure out whether it's really ok for themselves, then they will lack discipline, and without externally imposed discipline from an early age, they won't know how to have self-discipline when they get old enough to drive.

By the way, those of us who were in attendance yesterday may remember my having grilled the waitress over the issue of egg-preparation. I was really, seriously impressed. My eggs were absolutely perfect! And that's hard to do, you have to have the pan at just the right temperature, know when to flip the eggs, and cook 'em for just the right amount of time. That place is a winner for me, plus the fact that it's a lot easier for me to get to than Beautiful Downtown Smokeville, or where ever the hell we've been sent to, lately.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Miss Peaches did very well; her daddy was very proud of her. Apropos of which, we'd discussed how to train children and other animals. I'd gotten a clue from a seminar I'd attended a long time ago, given by a guy who styled himself a "Christian sociologist", name of Bill Gothard. It was called, "Institute in basic youth conflicts". The church I was going to at the time paid my way because they figured I needed help (being a conflicted youth at the time). I got a lot out of it and went again several years later. One of the things the guy said that really stuck with me was the need for consistency, honesty, and truth, as well as uncompromising love. If the kid (or dog) knows he can absolutely trust you, then they don't need to second guess whatever you tell them to do. If their world requires them to figure out whether it's really ok for themselves, then they will lack discipline, and without externally imposed discipline from an early age, they won't know how to have self-discipline when they get old enough to drive.

By the way, those of us who were in attendance yesterday may remember my having grilled the waitress over the issue of egg-preparation. I was really, seriously impressed. My eggs were absolutely perfect! And that's hard to do, you have to have the pan at just the right temperature, know when to flip the eggs, and cook 'em for just the right amount of time. That place is a winner for me, plus the fact that it's a lot easier for me to get to than Beautiful Downtown Smokeville, or where ever the hell we've been sent to, lately.
The perfect egg is done slowly (not long really) and lovingly and it doesn't even know the mission has been accomplished. IMHO it is the same with children and dogs.

With cats, you have to let them think it was their idea.