• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal experience, being ridiculed, mocked, laughed at

just James

A week or so ago, I was in a local take and bake pizza joint, picking up my order. I was open carrying, as usual. The young lady who was waiting on me suddenly couldn't stop herself from laughing, and wouldn't make eye contact with me. Although I had no way of seeing what was going on behind me, I got the distinct impression that someone was mocking, or making fun of me. After I finished paying for, and receiving my order, I turned around to see a man standing right behind me (who also would not look me in the eye). I left without saying anything.
Did I have my feelings hurt? No(I got out of junior high a long time ago). Nor did it really bother me, but it did get me to wondering how common this type of thing is, and how many others on here have had similar experiences.

BTW, that place was robbed at gun point a couple of days ago. Kind of makes me wonder what that young gal's opinion of open carriers would be now. Would she be appreciative of armed civilians, or would she now freak out at the sight of anyone with a gun. I sincerely hope that if she was the employee who was robbed, that she is able to eventually get over it.

solus

hummmm...just james, you stated in the thread's title...ridiculed, mocked, and laughed at and in your first thread you stated you are not in Junior High...

no, just you are an adult, and therefore should be treated as such...adults do not treat other adults whom they do not know with ridicule and mocking activities just to entertain a female cashier.

you state you chose to ignore the activities being perpetuated behind you by the 'man'. was he bigger, better shape, etc? was the cashier's laughter emotionally based cuz the robber from a few days ago was behind you telling her to be quiet? was he any type of risk to you and yours? was he using their hand as a finger gun mockingly pointing at your head? was he pretending to grab your firearm? and the scenarios continue as the imagination rolls on. but wait you can't answer any of those questions can you cuz you didn't turn around and put the individual in their place with a disapproving adult look. nor did you say anything.

to be allowed to be used to entertain the young female cashier is something that occurs in junior high...therefore, it seems you deserved the laughter that prevailed and the entertainment value brought to the cashier. there are adult methodologies to deal w/immature buffoon(s), that do not lead to confrontations...you might brush up on them.

sorry, but to completely lose situational awareness is extremely dangerous and can cost you injuries, loss of earning, death, not to mention loss of your smile to your family and friends.

glad your event ended for you to reconsider your SA...

ipse

PerBast

Wearing Crocs?

Were you the guy in line wearing Crocs? Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Guess I need to stop wearing those comfortable crocs::cry: I live in my crocs when I am not wearing those uncomfortable military boots. Guess it does take away from the positive impression of being a secure adult wearing crocs and having a side arm.....lol

Michael

just James

We frequently see people write about the reactions of the general public to their open carrying. Everything from appreciation to hostility. However, I rarely (if ever) see anyone write about being ridiculed, or mocked. I am quite sure that I am not the only one who has had this happen. Are others embarrassed by it, and hesitant to share their experiences? I am not referring to the open hostility of the anti's, but the reaction of those who may, or may not be gun friendly, but view open carrying in public as silly.
Anyone care to chime in with any similar experiences?

solus

We frequently see people write about the reactions of the general public to their open carrying. Everything from appreciation to hostility. However, I rarely (if ever) see anyone write about being ridiculed, or mocked. I am quite sure that I am not the only one who has had this happen. Are others embarrassed by it, and hesitant to share their experiences? I am not referring to the open hostility of the anti's, but the reaction of those who may, or may not be gun friendly, but view open carrying in public as silly.
Anyone care to chime in with any similar experiences?

as stated just...adults do not tolerate that kind of childish behaviour from other adults...especially to impress a female cashier who is equally guilty!!

ipse

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Situational awareness is all important.

I had a similar incident years ago. The guy just behind me was doing the "air quick draw" As I finished paying my bill I turned and faced him, about two feet apart. I looked him straight in the eye and asked in my best Clint Eastwood impression, "You gotta problem with me?" He answered no and I walked on.

OC for ME

I had a similar incident years ago. The guy just behind me was doing the "air quick draw" As I finished paying my bill I turned and faced him, about two feet apart. I looked him straight in the eye and asked in my best Clint Eastwood impression, "You gotta problem with me?" He answered no and I walked on.
And if he said yes?

WalkingWolf

IF there is a next time, when something does not seem right check your six. I tend to stand sideways when in line with people behind me, so I don't have to even turn around. I make sure there is nobody to the side my back is facing.

I think in your case I would have asked the cashier what is so funny. Other than that if somebody wants to make fun of me as long as they keep their distance, they can look like idiots for all I care. Only had one incident in Spring Lake, NC in a Big Lots store, but the person was a good distance from me, so when she started cackling like on laughing gas it made her look like an idiot. I kept going about my business, my Pappy told me that ignoring a person as if they did not exist it the greatest insult a person can give. Think I am joking just try it with the spouse, and see the reaction.

WalkingWolf

Hence the Ignore List here on OCDO. I recently halved mine from 50 disparaged users.

That is a little different from ignoring the spouse, where you can actually hear her, and she knows it. I have nobody on the ignore list, when I ignore them I give subtle hints that I see their posts, but yet do not respond. YES it is an intended insult, so far I only do it to one member here, I am sure he knows who he is.

WalkingWolf

Yes, it is important. But, you cannot be aware of your surroundings all the time. It is like multitasking, there is no such thing. You can only concentrate on one thing at a time. You can try to put your back up against a wall, but that is not always possible.

That is not true, in my younger days I was able to focus on many things at one time. It is the same as defensive driving for commercial drives who have to concentrate on many road conditions, and dangers, while still being aware of the instrument panel, and the watching the load. In my early school years it made it difficult for me to focus, my head was full of so many things. Once I learned how to manage it, I was in the top of my class. My grandson had the same problem, difficult time in school, my daughter claimed he was autistic. He is now a gifted university grad student.

It is something most people can learn, the brain is capable of so much more than we realize. Most of us use very little of it.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
That is not true, in my younger days I was able to focus on many things at one time. It is the same as defensive driving for commercial drives who have to concentrate on many road conditions, and dangers, while still being aware of the instrument panel, and the watching the load. In my early school years it made it difficult for me to focus, my head was full of so many things. Once I learned how to manage it, I was in the top of my class. My grandson had the same problem, difficult time in school, my daughter claimed he was autistic. He is now a gifted university grad student.

It is something most people can learn, the brain is capable of so much more than we realize. Most of us use very little of it.
Some would disagree.
http://www.talentsmart.com/articles...reer,-New-Studies-Suggest-2102500909-p-1.html
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/09/health/your-brain-multitasking/