• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pepper spray

325rto

I apologize in advance for posting a 'pepper spray' question on this forum, but I've come to consider the folks on this forum very knowledgeable about many things, not just handgun OC.
My 16 y/o daughter has asked me if is it legal for her to own pepper spray, and I am attempting to answer that question. I see no age restrictions or limitations in the general statutes. Would she also be legal in possession the spray on school grounds. Again, I did not see pertaining to pepper spray.
Thank you in advance for any and all responses,

OC for ME

Does the school permit her to carry hand sanitizer? Only the school can answer the question of student-carry on campus. I suspect that the answer is/will be no due to the hyper-sensitivity schools have to being sued. Check the schools website for their student requirements handbook that delineates appropriate student conduct and prohibited items.

By definition what is not made illegal is legal but schools have long been permitted to violate the laws to ensure a "safe and nurturing learning environment" even if that entails violating every one of your child's enumerated rights.

WalkingWolf

G.S. 14 - 269.2 Page 1 § 14 - 269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational propert

I could not find anything in the statute concerning pepper spray, but that does not mean it may violate school policy. I would advise against it unless your daughter is encountering a threat, and then you should address that threat with the school. My step daughter had a problem with a student at high school, and after a visit to the principal her problem ceased to be a problem.

325rto

Thanks for the reply WW. On OC's advice, I looked up Cumberland County School's policy, and pepper spray is listed as a Class III violation. And no, she is not being harassed or threatened. But I make my wife and daughters aware of what is going on around the world (and locally) and my daughter approached me last evening with the 'would it be legal for me to carry pepper spray' question.
I still have not seen any reference to any age restrictions pertaining to owning or possessing pepper spray.

solus

fyi, IANA, and i extensively searched as best i could, via the internet, the AG's documents, NC Statutes, as well as a few backdoor avenues used by the nice NC LEs and failed to find any reference to nonlethal deterrents, of which pepper spray is a category by itself or in conjunction with educational property.

so...as OC for ME stated...double check with the 'board of education' not the school itself on their policy of carrying nonlethal deterrents.

let us know what the verdict is by the educational system.

ipse

WalkingWolf

325rto

The information came from this section of the Cumberland County Schools Policy Manual. Regulation Code: 4300-R Cumberland County Schools Student Code of Conduct (2015-2016) I attached the link in a previous post.

solus

WW reason you couldn't find it was there is a 'typo' with an extra space between the words 'pepper' & 'spray'

Regulation Code: 4300-R Cumberland County Schools Student Code of Conduct (2015-2016)

CLASS III VIOLATIONS
POSSESSION OF A WEAPON
Possessing, handling or transferring, whether openly or concealed, without educational permission or consent, any BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, facsimile of a gun, knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, loaded cane, sword cane, machete, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razors, razor blades, box cutters, pepper spray , ammunition, explosives, explosive-making material, chemicals, or any other object that can reasonably be considered a weapon or dangerous instrument.

9-12 This violation may result in short-term suspension and/or disciplinary reassignment to an alternative program or long-term suspension or expulsion.

http://policy.microscribepub.com/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=4017571300&advquery=pepper%20spray&depth=8%2a&headingswithhits=on&infobase=cumberland.nfo&record={122F}&softpage=Document42s&wordsaroundhits=9

OP, save your money, as you can see the school has a policy against this nonlethal material on property.

ipse

Last edited:

325rto

Thanks SOLUS. My daughter has listened to her old man, and is becoming more aware of the evils that lurk outside the homestead. For this I am pleased. I still need to hammer this into her mother's head though.

solus

Thanks SOLUS. My daughter has listened to her old man, and is becoming more aware of the evils that lurk outside the homestead. For this I am pleased. I still need to hammer this into her mother's head though.

nope, not stepping into that...good luck 325...

ipse