Thread: Why still terror risk, after all that security money spent? Security street theater.

Why still terror risk, after all that security money spent? Security street theater.

As a result of the 9/11 attacks, $650 billion has been spent on homeland security to, among other things, beef up protection at sites such as airports, train stations, sports stadiums and other places that draw large crowds.

But Stanton's story, repeated security failures at America's airports, and other lapses elsewhere underscore the fact that even after all of that spending, the danger of terrorists pulling off a successful attack in the United States, like the attacks seen Tuesday in Brussels, remains a very real possibility.

Stanton said that every terror attack is followed in the United States by demands from politicians to improve security.
    [ ... ]
    Last holiday season, New York-based private investigator and security consultant Bill Stanton went to see Radio City Music Hall's famed Christmas Spectacular show, which draws thousands of people every day to Manhattan's already busy Midtown neighborhood. Stanton had a loaded semi-automatic pistol which he is licensed to carry strapped to an ankle holster. The ex-New York cop also had an extra magazine for the gun, containing additional rounds of ammunition, on his belt.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/22/why-s...ney-spent.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

In the United States alone, about 2 million people travel each day in and out of our airports. Our system of air commerce and travel would come to a standstill if we essentially pushed out security to the highways outside an airport. The same holds for the metropolitan transit systems. Yes, they can be made safer with security checks of passengers, but a 20-minute train ride would then become an hour or more. And the public, despite the threat of attacks, would simply not tolerate this.
    The reality is that there are just too many soft targets in Europe and the United States to ensure complete security. It is the way our system of freedom has been built.

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    In the United States alone, about 2 million people travel each day in and out of our airports. Our system of air commerce and travel would come to a standstill if we essentially pushed out security to the highways outside an airport. The same holds for the metropolitan transit systems. Yes, they can be made safer with security checks of passengers, but a 20-minute train ride would then become an hour or more. And the public, despite the threat of attacks, would simply not tolerate this.
    The reality is that there are just too many soft targets in Europe and the United States to ensure complete security. It is the way our system of freedom has been built.
    sorry the Israelis have for almost threel decades maintained a exemplary degree of security within their transit system, especially the aeroport at Ben Gurion. to the point if you had a particular visa from previous travel from a country Israel wouldn't let you in their country...period...

quote: No country in the world faces more terrorist threats than Israel, and no airport in the world faces more such threats than Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion airport. The Israelis have of course been the gold standard for establishing and maintaining security in all its forms. Much of the airport’s security protocol is achieved through a combination of comprehensive due diligence, common sense, and consistency — which, one would think would be the objective of airport authorities throughout the world. Yet very few other airports have achieved the level of security that exists at Ben Gurion. the Israelis have taken on board the concerns of civil liberties groups and researchers in developing technology that could ease concerns about racial profiling....unquote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel...b_4978149.html

sorry American's talk the talk but do not want the perceived inconvenience to implement successful security measures.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 03-22-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

State Researcher
    Ben Gurion (Tel Aviv) airport handles all of 16 Million passengers a year. It is the largest/busies airport in Israel. Israel has a total population of slightly less than 9 million persons.

The USA now has something like 320 million persons living in our nation.

Chicago's O'Hare handles 77 million passengers a year. Little sister Midway handles an additional 22 million a year.

JFK handles 44 million passengers each year. LaGuardia handles another 24 million.

Dulles handles nearly 22 million passengers each year. Baltimore has 24 million. And Ronald Reagan has 18 million passengers a year.

The Salt Lake City airport (in a STATE with a total population of 3 million) handles almost 23 million passengers each year.

A friend recently returned from Israel using Ben Gurion. He counted 11 different security checks from the time the car approached the airport to the time he got onto the plane. It seems one is advised to arrive at least 3 1/2 hours before a flight, and it is common for the screening process to take 2 solid hours. There are reports of some passengers being allowed on the plane with only their wallet and passports, no luggage.

Israeli security engages in overt and subtle profiling including ethnic, racial, nationality, religious, age, and so on. Luggage will get x-rayed, and then completely unpacked by hand and every item swapped for explosive residues. Cause one of several screeners/interviewers to label you a risk, and searches of your person get rather intimate, it seems.

The US simply can't afford (monetarily, socially, or otherwise) to implement Israeli style security at our airports, much less our sports stadiums, theaters, concert halls, and other public venues. Our citizens simply are not going to tolerate a 2 to 3 hour screening process, including intrusive and personal questioning every time they want to get on an airplane or watch major league baseball.

One thing we could do to reduce risks would be to increase the number of security checkpoints and spread them out such that crowds are reduced. A terrorist no longer needs to get inside a venue undetected to do grave damage. The crowds of people waiting in security lines present more than sufficient targets of opportunity. And since the "security" is usually woefully inadequate to defend against a determined threat, once a bomb goes off there is plenty of chance to go in shooting, or with another bomb.

We are a big nation, used to our freedoms. And mostly, it works out ok as I'd guess even post 9/11 there is a higher risk driving your car to the airport than that you'll be a victim of a terror attack at the airport.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

can't afford? who is paying the bills for the brussel's and paris attacks?

as stated~Americans want unqualified security w/o inconvenience to our daily lives...

as stated the Israelis have successfully implemented security and their populace accept the requirements of delays as the cost of security.

a final note, the Israelis have mastered psychological screening techniques by chatting with passengers instead of TSA's policy grumbling to those they are suppose to discern as BGs

ipse

oh after thought...even rudimentary screening of vehicles prior to getting anywhere near the aeroport makes it tough to bring bombs into the facilities.

just saying
    Last edited by solus; 03-24-2016 at 09:22 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    can't afford? who is paying the bills for the brussel's and paris attacks?

as stated~Americans want unqualified security w/o inconvenience to our daily lives...

as stated the Israelis have successfully implemented security and their populace accept the requirements of delays as the cost of security.

a final note, the Israelis have mastered psychological screening techniques by chatting with passengers instead of TSA's policy grumbling to those they are suppose to discern as BGs

ipse

oh after thought...even rudimentary screening of vehicles prior to getting anywhere near the aeroport makes it tough to bring bombs into the facilities.

just saying
    Yes, the Jews do use methods that cannot be used in America .... requiring people answer ? as a condition to exercising their right to travel? Nah, no good.

When I get asked ? by security, you know what my answer is .... crickets .. 1/2 the time I ignore them and they get mad ... awwww, that's too bad

"I'm one of the good guys," Stanton said. "But if I went in with evil intent, and three other guys, we could have killed many, many people."
    No, Stanton is one of the anointed.

If "terrorists" knew there would be a significant number of armed citizens that could disrupt their plan they would seek other less risky targets. Stanton selects a high profile target that is virtually guaranteed to not have any armed citizens that a terrorist knew could disrupt their plan.

Stanton acts like the self entitled cop that he is.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No, Stanton is one of the anointed. [ ... ]Stanton acts like the self entitled cop that he is.
    +1
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.