• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had an incident

briehl12

Had an icident happen last Friday that I'm not 100% sure that I should talk about it, but never the less had Bonney Lake PD tied up for a bit. End result I was released, they took my weapon for a "24 hour hold" and now I'm being told they have to talk to the prosecuting attorney. FYI I did nothing wrong according to the police. Self defense.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, get a lawyer ready if you cannot competently represent yourself.

No need to spend $$$ yet. Unless you want to learn what you may be charged with and carry the cash for bail on you.

Then if arrested, ya can pay the bail right there and then and save some paper work and other hassles.

Good luck.

Or certainly look into a bail bondsmen ... I carry a card in my wallet ... never had to use it but its there when needed.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am a member of a group called second call defense that handles issues such as this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Only $120 to $500 per year whether or not it is used.

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/plans-and-pricing

Looked at and rejected repeatedly. Too many disclaimers, unknowns, and fish hooks. Don't see how it could be otherwise.

Can't insure against illegal acts.

Only pays if charges dropped or found innocent.

Initial attorney contact (hello, my name is) then you are on your own.

Always read the fine print........or lack thereof.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
LOL. Only $120 to $500 per year whether or not it is used.

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/plans-and-pricing
I know the guy and lets just say you want to wear really tight jeans around him; it's hard to get your wallet out of your pocket when wearing tight jeans.

"nderwritten by Lloyds of London" means good luck. Lloyds of London is the bottom of the barrel insurance. It actually does not have liquid funds. The way I understand it works is that the money you get is actually a loan. If you prevail they forgive the loan.

I asked him for a copy of the terms and conditions/contract, but it was never forthcoming.

Last edited:

decklin

The only details are firearm, self defense, police, meeting with prosecutor.
Those are more than enough details to know you don't go in there without a lawyer.

OC4me

Had an incident happen last Friday that I'm not 100% sure that I should talk about it, but never the less had Bonney Lake PD tied up for a bit. End result I was released, they took my weapon for a "24 hour hold" and now I'm being told they have to talk to the prosecuting attorney. FYI I did nothing wrong according to the police. Self defense.

Ditto, don't go without a lawyer. Better, yet just don't go! The fact that the police have told you that you did nothing 'wrong' means absolutely nothing. You are heading into a fishing expedition and your name is on the menu.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ditto, don't go without a lawyer. Better, yet just don't go! The fact that the police have told you that you did nothing 'wrong' means absolutely nothing. You are heading into a fishing expedition and your name is on the menu.

Yeah, I missed that.

Sure, come on in .... lets have a chat ....

A 15 yr chat.

Jeff Hayes

Had an icident happen last Friday that I'm not 100% sure that I should talk about it, but never the less had Bonney Lake PD tied up for a bit. End result I was released, they took my weapon for a "24 hour hold" and now I'm being told they have to talk to the prosecuting attorney. FYI I did nothing wrong according to the police. Self defense.

The cops will tell you that you did nothing wrong and then wait to see what you say that they can use against you in court, stop talking to Cops for any reason. Cops lie, that is what they do.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If the cops said you did nothing wrong,, why do they need to talk to the pers, er, a, prosecuter???

Usually, the cops will not say you did nothing wrong, but something along the lines of they can't see that you did anything wrong. Big difference. The cops are not legal experts, and anything that isn't crystal clear needs a decision from the DA, who is a legal expert.

Nothing wrong with that process, when it's done correctly.

But that still means you do not volunteer information except through your attorney. The cops get their attorney (the DA) involved, and they know the system better than you.

Last edited:

briehl12

See what had happen was after all the commotion they told me that after a weapon is brought in the situation, it's a mandatory 24hr hold. I haven't heard back from anyone yet and I am under the impression that the 24hr hold is over. However property worker states that in cases like this the pa like to hold onto property.

Not sure what I should do at this point. Everything was recorded on the 911 call I made.

Also every person that was questioned has the same story as mine. My witnesses.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Not sure what I should do at this point. ...

What does your attorney say? There is paperwork that can be filed to demand your property. The system is set up so that the common man doesn't know how to use it.

JoeSparky

Centurion
See what had happen was after all the commotion they told me that after a weapon is brought in the situation, it's a mandatory 24hr hold. I haven't heard back from anyone yet and I am under the impression that the 24hr hold is over. However property worker states that in cases like this the pa like to hold onto property.

Not sure what I should do at this point. Everything was recorded on the 911 call I made.

Also every person that was questioned has the same story as mine. My witnesses.

So is this 'mandatory' hold a policy or a matter of law---- if policy, they have seized your private property without a warrant to justify same. If a matter of law--- they should give you the Washington state code that allows it. At least it seems this way to me!

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I did not find any 24 hold in the rcw upon quick search.

If that is a "policy" then that violates state preemption. It can also be used to create bogus evidence of you having committed a crime to solve a cold case.

Spend casings, ballistics, looks like the gun used at another location. ..

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

solus

sorry Freedom, there might be a hold if this were a DV altercation...1) my witnesses... 2) firearm brought into the situation... 3) BL PD tied up for a bit... 4) you did nothing wrong...

ipse