• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had an incident

Freedom1Man

sorry Freedom, there might be a hold if this were a DV altercation...1) my witnesses... 2) firearm brought into the situation... 3) BL PD tied up for a bit... 4) you did nothing wrong...

ipse
If it was DV4 in Washington he would be sitting in jail not posting in this forum.

Been charged in this state, you're guilty until proven innocent. I got the charges dropped but man oh man.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

solus

If it was DV4 in Washington he would be sitting in jail not posting in this forum.

Been charged in this state, you're guilty until proven innocent. I got the charges dropped but man oh man.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

since his witness said he did nothing wrong...but error in judgement in bring a firearm into the fracas ??

bonney lake police blotter has nothing listed whatsoever about fracas w/firearm

ipse

Alpine

DV related. Hrm.

Just wait until the mindless drones here vote in "extremist risk protection orders" via initiative and we have angry exes and anti-gun former roommates getting bored and calling police.

briehl12

So as of today, they are "holding" the weapon for safe keeping even though it was not held for evidence. However the prosecutor wants to hold it until new court date. He plead not guilty, which means now I have to wait for my weapon to be released or petition the court to release it.

solus

So as of today, they are "holding" the weapon for safe keeping even though it was not held for evidence. However the prosecutor wants to hold it until new court date. He plead not guilty, which means now I have to wait for my weapon to be released or petition the court to release it.

guess you need to start with your petition to the court working on releasing your firearm.

ipse

zaitz

Banned
Had an icident happen last Friday that I'm not 100% sure that I should talk about it, but never the less had Bonney Lake PD tied up for a bit. End result I was released, they took my weapon for a "24 hour hold" and now I'm being told they have to talk to the prosecuting attorney. FYI I did nothing wrong according to the police. Self defense.

when they were claiming they needed to take your weapon, did they give you an statutory authority for seizing your weapon or insisting you give it to them?

thanks!

z

sudden valley gunner

This is typical of all too many Western Washington PD.

To me it sounds like they are finding any excuse to deny the OP's property, and also see if the prosecutor can come up with charges to punish him for exercising a right they don't like.

solus

This is typical of all too many Western Washington PD.

To me it sounds like they are finding any excuse to deny the OP's property, and also see if the prosecutor can come up with charges to punish him for exercising a right they don't like.

or, just saying w/o doubting anybody's audacity, the entire story hasn't been properly told, just saying mind ya...

ipse

briehl12

Talked on the phone with the Bonney lake pa and she explained the situation to where it makes sense. She even said I was in the right, but for safe keeping they were going to hold onto it until the next court appearance. I have to go before he judge and petition to have it released. I asked why and she said due to the nature of the case. He is being charged criminally, I am not having any charges brought against me. The judge has not read the police report yet.

She did say she will not release it unless the judge ordered it.

solus

Talked on the phone with the Bonney lake pa and she explained the situation to where it makes sense. She even said I was in the right, but for safe keeping they were going to hold onto it until the next court appearance. I have to go before he judge and petition to have it released. I asked why and she said due to the nature of the case. He is being charged criminally, I am not having any charges brought against me. The judge has not read the police report yet.

uh, the judicial system is holding your property, a firearm, for safe keeping where you are not being prosecuted because of the nature of the case....and you still have to petition the court to get your property back.

ipse

decklin

I'm sorry but that explanation doesn't make sense. They are violating your Fourth Amendment Rights by confiscating your property without due process.
Why do they insist it's for "safe keeping?" It seems to me you're not very safe with it in their station.

zaitz

Banned

They "took" your property and we can't find any justification for that in the rcw or federal law and now they won't give it back to you.

Have you considered a suit in federal court for damages, say, $1 million or so, for intentional violation of the right to keep and bear your arms?

z

rightwinglibertarian

Had an icident happen last Friday that I'm not 100% sure that I should talk about it, but never the less had Bonney Lake PD tied up for a bit. End result I was released, they took my weapon for a "24 hour hold" and now I'm being told they have to talk to the prosecuting attorney. FYI I did nothing wrong according to the police. Self defense.

Too many unanswered questions here, probably most you can't or shouldnt answer. If you were released then you had been arrested or at least detained. Now was that lawful? Was there genuine probable cause? If you did nothing wrong, then your weapon should have been immediately returned. Otherwise a warrant is needed and the firearm is inadmissible in court without it.

zaitz

Banned
Too many unanswered questions here, probably most you can't or shouldnt answer. If you were released then you had been arrested or at least detained. Now was that lawful? Was there genuine probable cause? If you did nothing wrong, then your weapon should have been immediately returned. Otherwise a warrant is needed and the firearm is inadmissible in court without it.

There is detention and there is arrest. Each of these things police can do under different criteria. A normal "detainment" should be anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes. A detainment should be done after articulable reasonable suspicion that a person has been involved in a crime or is about to be.

In the absence of a reasonable suspicion that "you" have been involved in a crime, they don't have a right to detain you. Moreover, if they initially had reasonable suspicion that you were involved in a crime and their conversation with you made it reasonable clear that you were not, you become or should become free to go and moreover, to leave with your property.

solus

There is detention and there is arrest. Each of these things police can do under different criteria. A normal "detainment" should be anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes. A detainment should be done after articulable (sic) reasonable suspicion that a person has been involved in a crime or is about to be.

In the absence of a reasonable suspicion that "you" have been involved in a crime, they don't have a right to detain you. Moreover, if they initially had reasonable suspicion that you were involved in a crime and their conversation with you made it reasonable clear that you were not, you become or should become free to go and moreover, to leave with your property.

the number five comes to mind

ipse