• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This gun looks exactly like a smartphone

stealthyeliminator

Rehash of old thread topic. Search is your friend.

This forum is not nearly active enough that we need to be complaining about some topics being repeated on occasion. Forums are for live discussion, libraries are for archives. Where are we?

stealthyeliminator

When I first saw that little pistol, I kind of dismissed it thinking I'd never want to carry it as a primary, but I didn't consider that it might make a good BUG. Looks like it'd be awkward to shoot, but for a BUG, I suppose that doesn't matter as much.

Brian D.

Two shot unwieldy derringer in a pipsqueak caliber, take at least a few seconds to deploy as a life saving tool.

"New from Robco: The hand grenade that looks like a baby binky!!"

Law abider

Concealed carry gun looks like a smartphone

This gun may be a fangled invention that has 2500 people drooling over it. It is a two shot 380. Seriously! a two shot pea shooter made right here in Minnesota. Who is behind these 2 shot shot pea shooters? 380s recoil and kick and two bullets are seriously going to reduce the probability to stop anyone. It folds up like a smartphone. Bond Arms does better that this gun with their derringers.

Here comes the perp! Pull out fangle out of your pocket begin to unfold.... Perp gets you first.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/21/news/gun-smartphone-ideal-conceal-carry/index.html

http://idealconceal.com/

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
An interesting novelty.

Nothing wrong with a .380 for a bug or deep concealment. But with no shortage of 6+ round capacity in existing semi-autos, and pocket holsters that allow carry as discretely as this 2 shot version, I'm not seeing the appeal.

I can darn near conceal my .380 in my hand, fully ready to fire if needed.

But, to each their own.

And I do like the innovation. It is a shame federal law requires firearms to look like guns in order to fire. It really limits innovation.

A friend of mine collects antiques and has a nice collection of palm guns, belt guns, and other firearms that do not look anything like firearms, but were intended (mostly) for the 19th or early 20th century lady or gentleman in need of a little, discrete, self-defense.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Libraries are for research, repositories of knowledge.

Don't forget just good ol' recreational reading. We recently learned that the children's reading room at the library of congress frequently gets pre-release copies of the newest books for children and young adults.

stealthyeliminator

Two shot unwieldy derringer in a pipsqueak caliber, take at least a few seconds to deploy as a life saving tool.

"New from Robco: The hand grenade that looks like a baby binky!!"

An interesting novelty.

Nothing wrong with a .380 for a bug or deep concealment. But with no shortage of 6+ round capacity in existing semi-autos, and pocket holsters that allow carry as discretely as this 2 shot version, I'm not seeing the appeal.

I can darn near conceal my .380 in my hand, fully ready to fire if needed.

Good points, good points... I guess in the broader context this probably can't be much more than a novelty.

And I do like the innovation. It is a shame federal law requires firearms to look like guns in order to fire. It really limits innovation.

I actually didn't know that. Learn something new every day, right?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The belt clip version looks silly--like the whole world isn't going to wonder about the two muzzles on the end of your "phone".

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Terry Stops

Terry Stop pat-downs are going to become more intrusive now. Every smart phone will be seized for officer safety.

stealthyeliminator

The belt clip version looks silly--like the whole world isn't going to wonder about the two muzzles on the end of your "phone".
Hehe, true.. On the other hand, many report actual OCed firearms going seemingly unnoticed, so, they might not wonder about it.
Terry Stop pat-downs are going to become more intrusive now. Every smart phone will be seized for officer safety.
Come on now, don't give them ideas. They shouldn't become more intrusive. We should be clear and direct on that point rather than declare it inevitable.

Brian D.

Gadget guns like this have been available--at least write ups on them have--for years now. So far I haven't seen reports of Terry stops increasing because somebody has a phone, thicker-than-normal stainless steel pen**, etc. in their pocket.

**The pen reference is to the pistol made for a short time by American Derringer. Single shot, I bought one in .25 acp as a sort of in-the-future collector's item. Sure enough they stopped making them in fairly short order. Mine had been fired only a couple times (couldn't resist) and I still had the original box, paperwork, etc. It fetched me a good profit.

MP(Retired)

Shouldn't this be classified as a AOW by the ATFE?
If I have to register my Beretta 950BS as an AOW when it's inserted into a wallet holster because it can't be distinguished as a pistol then how is this different.
Looks like a cell phone to me.
<MP>