• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Children and Self-Defense

PATRIOT88

Banned
Ok....so its been known to me, for some time that society views have greatly changed. Though the 1800s and 1950s were ok with everyone open carrying arms and even children bringing firearms to school or such.....since Clintons era, it seems defense and the Second Amendment has gone downhill, seemingly demonized, with the birth of MDA and other fear mongers and sensitized idiots. First off, I have to add the human race WAS NOT created to have fear-based or emotion-based thinking/logic. Those types of people are more akin to animals, since animals think in fear and instinct.

The human race was created to have sound, reason and logic based thinking and arguments. Which is one of the main reasons we are above animals in mentality and intelligence levels.

Now, obviously, my argument is clear. I am for educating children and teenagers about arms and proper defense, gun handling and such.

I do not believe it is fair that schools and college campuses ban all arms. The other issue is the rise in sensitizing and fear mongering. MDA and others endorse the message that Arms, including Firearms cannot be seen in the hands of average citizens and that only those in uniform, such as Police, Military and Security personnel should be armed. Then again, there is also the existing concern that due to Clinton, the Military is not allowed to be armed on their own installations and bases. This is a major concern, see Fort Hood and such.

Obliviously, I am advocating reasonable arms. Nothing extreme. No sniper rifles, RPG-7s and such. Rather, handguns, knives, MACE, Sabre Defense Spray, Tasers, revolvers, batons, etc.

Yes, there is the concern of age and the age where a child begins to be subjected to Arms depends on their family. I, for one, do not think it is wise to subject children under the age of 10 or 12 with Arms.

I think we have a lot of work ahead of us, starting with the ''purge'' of the fear mongers, via shipping them out of the US if they do not like the 2nd amendment or simply repeated desensitization. Much like you would do a horse, with repeated exposure to an activity. Sooner or later, the fear mongers will get used to it and quit being so damn scared and whiny.

Lastly, Open Carry has existed far before Open Carry was even a thing. The Celtic Queen, Boudicca and other historical legends or figures were armed and open carried.

Concealed Carry really does not exist for any other purpose but for the government to allow or deny a right, to pacify fear mongers and to generate State Revenue.

Nowhere in the second amendment does it say conceal or hide arms.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Shotgun approach to much of our thinking here.

Children 8yo - many of us here were competing at that age (Jr NRA), others were putting meat on the table. We carried fixed blades when in the field/woods and had pocket knives in school.

OTOH - I can't advocate "purging" as a solution - just not my way. Neutering their arguments with facts and presenting a positive image works well IMHO.

OC for ME

Traditional shooting sports. Meaning skeet/trap, sporting clays. not many kids will sign up due to the cost of equipment. In MO guns on campus are not verboten if used for school sanctioned sporting events. Which includes safety training for popular firearms.

Handguns, shotguns, bolt-action rifles.

Sporting rifles such as those based on military platforms...after we get the previously mentioned firearms back in high skrooler pick-up trucks.

solus

Patriot, what is this prattled rant you are on about...

quote: ....so its been known to me...Those types of people are more akin to animals,... ...obviously, my argument is clear. I do not believe it is fair...

The Celtic Queen, Boudicca and other historical legends or figures... unquote.

really?

ipse

PATRIOT88

Banned
Sighs. Ok....so the need to further explain myself arises.

First off, this is one example by what I mean by fear mongers and sensitized idiots being akin to animals in their fear-based/emotion-based thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHNSxe7TK0

4:42

Not to mention the freaking out at the start, trying to violate the 1st amendment.

Fear mongers seem to have an inverted or backwards way of thinking. No, you don't have privacy in a public place, such as seen in the video.

Furthermore, look at how things were BCE, The 1800s and even 1950s. I mentioned Boudicca for a reason. Boudicca open carried her sword before open carry was even a thing.

Open Carry generally includes all legal and reasonable arms. Obviously, swords and medieval arms aren't really open carried and as such, there are a number of other defense options that are better accepted in the 21st century.

That said, the sensitized idiots and fear mongers are the issue in this country.

The only two choices are to continue open carrying until they get over their unrealistic fear, become desensitized and revert to the logic and reason they are meant to think with.

The whole ''he has a gun or knife and will kill us all.'' or the ''guns are scary.'' argument seriously has to go.

I have seen a number of sheathed knives and holstered firearms in my life and whats my thought? Is there any sign of an act of aggression? Are they behaving erratically? Do they have their hand constantly on the knife or handgun/revolver? If the answer is no to all of the above, then there is NO NEED to fear that person. Seriously.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
PATRIOT88, welcome to the real world. You know that freedom is eternal vigilance. You should have started with "rant on" and finished with "rant off" and some of us could have stood back and just observed. I do appreciate you not screaming.

OC for ME

... I have seen a number of sheathed knives and holstered firearms in my life and whats my thought? ...
Me, nice (or ugly/cheap) knife, same with the gat.

"Hickree" North Kackalacky must be infested with "sensitized idiots and fear mongers"...contrary to my past personal experiences...though, I have not been to Hickree lo these many years. Maybe it has become infested with "sensitized idiots and fear mongers" it is near Charlutte after all.

PATRIOT88

Banned
I personally think, that it may be a result of my underestimating. Initially, when I arrived here last year, I did not think there would be any fear mongers or such, NC being the South. It seemed I was wrong and even NC has certain parts/people that are too stupid to think for themselves and stricken with the ignorance pandemic induced by MDA.

I am just glad those days are behind me, hated when people exaggerated my actions and called police on me. Well, now I know what restaurants to avoid and not patronize. No defense=No business. Other patriots and open carriers share my mindset.

solus

I personally think, that it may be a result of my underestimating. Initially, when I arrived here last year, I did not think there would be any fear mongers or such, NC being the South. It seemed I was wrong and even NC has certain parts/people that are too stupid to think for themselves and stricken with the ignorance pandemic induced by MDA.

I am just glad those days are behind me, hated when people exaggerated my actions and called police on me. Well, now I know what restaurants to avoid and not patronize. No defense=No business. Other patriots and open carriers share my mindset.

your last post says a lot...

it sounds like you left a locale where you believed you were treated inappropriately...

you state the same experience is going where 'people exaggerated my actions''called the police on me'...

have you begun to realize the commonality of these two environments where you have and currently reside?

just saying

ipse

PATRIOT88

Banned
To my knowledge, a sniper rifle is any rifle with a full powered rifle round, scope that is capable of .25-1.5 MOA and can effectively hit atleast 600 meters.

Whitney

To my knowledge, a sniper rifle is any rifle with a full powered rifle round, scope that is capable of .25-1.5 MOA and can effectively hit atleast 600 meters.

I get what you are saying, but the rifle is only capable of what the shooter can achieve.

I have a 70's model Savage in 30.06 that can easily meet the criteria you define dependent on the shooter.

Not trying to be nitpicky just trying to qualify your statement.

~Whitney

PATRIOT88

Banned
Grapeshot, not sure about your experiences with sensitized idiots, but from my experiences and even my perspective and informed factual basis from this video below, its that sensitized idiots/fear mongers will not listen to or accept logic, reality and reason.

What can be do about sensitized idiots, like the ones in the video, that will not listen to logic, facts and reality? Cannot educate someone that will not listen.

In a way, its like trying to explain to a sheltered pacifist how the world really is and that they will need to fight to defend their life at one point in their life.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot, not sure about your experiences with sensitized idiots, but from my experiences and even my perspective and informed factual basis from this video below, its that sensitized idiots/fear mongers will not listen to or accept logic, reality and reason.

What can be do about sensitized idiots, like the ones in the video, that will not listen to logic, facts and reality? Cannot educate someone that will not listen.

In a way, its like trying to explain to a sheltered pacifist how the world really is and that they will need to fight to defend their life at one point in their life.

Been there, done that...at our General Assembly, universities, parks, meet-n-greets, etc. I OC virtually 24/7 and interact with a lot of people.

You're right - the rabid anti will not change their opinion regardless of the evidence. Still, I will at times converse with them, especially if there are others of a more open mind or the media within earshot. When they become too much to bear, I simply smile and tell them to have a nice day.

Prefer to spend my time educating the fence sitters whenever and wherever possible. Many (most?) of them will listen with a more open mind. Facts, logic, and a friendly attitude will win friends. It's that "while going about our daily routine" thing. :)

Last edited:

CDT COX

your last post says a lot...

it sounds like you left a locale where you believed you were treated inappropriately...

you state the same experience is going where 'people exaggerated my actions''called the police on me'...

have you begun to realize the commonality of these two environments where you have and currently reside?

just saying

ipse

Me thinks that if the OP were to pass by a mirror and stop to take a good, hard look, he may discover the origins of the reactions from his perceived "sensitized idiots"

B

Bikenut

Been there, done that...at our General Assembly, universities, parks, meet-n-greets, etc. I OC virtually 24/7 and interact with a lot of people.

You're right - the rabid anti will not change their opinion regardless of the evidence. Still, I will at times converse with them, especially if there are others of a more open mind or the media within earshot. When they become too much to bear, I simply smile and tell them to have a nice day.

Prefer to spend my time educating the fence sitters whenever and wherever possible. Many (most?) of them will listen with a more open mind. Facts, logic, and a friendly attitude will win friends. It's that "while going about our daily routine" thing. :)
Sometimes it isn't the person who is in front of you ranting that is important but is how those all around listening respond to your polite, reasoned, and friendly responses. One mind and one heart at a time.

Keep up the good work Grape.

PATRIOT88

Banned
Me thinks that if the OP were to pass by a mirror and stop to take a good, hard look, he may discover the origins of the reactions from his perceived "sensitized idiots"

There is nothing to look at. Its simple. I know how I act and present myself and if a person or business is not going to let me be myself in my adamant beliefs just because of a sheathed knife or such, then they don't deserve business from any pro-2nd amendment advocate.

There is ZERO cause for concern when anyone open carries properly with a sheath or holster with retension straps.

Honestly, I fail to see any logical basis to fear me. Judge me on my actions while I am in your business, not what I carry.