• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Children and Self-Defense

B

Bikenut

There is nothing to look at. Its simple. I know how I act and present myself and if a person or business is not going to let me be myself in my adamant beliefs just because of a sheathed knife or such, then they don't deserve business from any pro-2nd amendment advocate.

There is ZERO cause for concern when anyone open carries properly with a sheath or holster with retension straps.

Honestly, I fail to see any logical basis to fear me. Judge me on my actions while I am in your business, not what I carry.
I do not judge folks by what they carry. I judge folks by how they carry themselves.

CDT COX

There is nothing to look at. Its simple. I know how I act and present myself and if a person or business is not going to let me be myself in my adamant beliefs just because of a sheathed knife or such, then they don't deserve business from any pro-2nd amendment advocate.

There is ZERO cause for concern when anyone open carries properly with a sheath or holster with retension straps.

Honestly, I fail to see any logical basis to fear me. Judge me on my actions while I am in your business, not what I carry.

You probably look and act like a weirdo. Normal people don't open carry sheathed fixed blade knives.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PATRIOT88 There is nothing to look at. Its simple. I know how I act and present myself and if a person or business is not going to let me be myself in my adamant beliefs just because of a sheathed knife or such, then they don't deserve business from any pro-2nd amendment advocate.

You probably look and act like a weirdo. Normal people don't open carry sheathed fixed blade knives.
To the contrary, fixed blade knives are routine for some, especially while in the woods or hunting. Also I do not recall the Second Amendment addressing knives as being abnormal.

Mr CDT COX your post too strongly represents a personal insult - a violation of forum rules.

We need to get back on topic for this thread - too much wandering/off topic.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I suggest you frequent a Home Depot at 6 a.m. or 7 a.m. and really pay attention to the contractors of which many have fixed blade knives on their hips. All kinds of knives are carried like firearms because they are tools. Most people are non-observant.

Back to regular programing....

CDT COX

I suggest you frequent a Home Depot at 6 a.m. or 7 a.m. and really pay attention to the contractors of which many have fixed blade knives on their hips. All kinds of knives are carried like firearms because they are tools. Most people are non-observant.

Back to regular programing....

A tool for what? Opening boxes? Cutting zip ties? Any other task that can be accomplished with a regular folding pocket knife?

If you fail to realize the difference between contractors at a home improvement store during early hours before going to a job site and some regular guy buying tic tacs in CVS at 2pm, I cannot help you.

To the contrary, fixed blade knives are routine for some, especially while in the woods or hunting. Also I do not recall the Second Amendment addressing knives as being abnormal.

Mr CDT COX your post too strongly represents a personal insult - a violation of forum rules.

We need to get back on topic for this thread - too much wandering/off topic.

In the woods or hunting is not the same thing as getting a bite at the local burger joint.

The 2A has nothing to do with our societies view of normal. Open carrying a sheathed fixed blade knife during everyday activities is abnormal. To argue otherwise would be absurd. People don't give the OP weird looks because they are petrified of knives, they give him weird looks because it is strange to see someone open carrying a huge sheathed knife. Thus, no one is judging what he carries, the knife isn't the issue, rather his action of openly carrying it.

Why don't we discuss open carried long guns on this forum? Because any sensible person can see that while permitted by law, it is abnormal behavior and draws bad reactions. Same thing with oorah, tactical, alabama toothpick, kbar, leather sheathed knives.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

A tool for what? Opening boxes? Cutting zip ties? Any other task that can be accomplished with a regular folding pocket knife?

If you fail to realize the difference between contractors at a home improvement store during early hours before going to a job site and some regular guy buying tic tacs in CVS at 2pm, I cannot help you.

In the woods or hunting is not the same thing as getting a bite at the local burger joint.

The 2A has nothing to do with our societies view of normal. Open carrying a sheathed fixed blade knife during everyday activities is abnormal. To argue otherwise would be absurd. People don't give the OP weird looks because they are petrified of knives, they give him weird looks because it is strange to see someone open carrying a huge sheathed knife. Thus, no one is judging what he carries, the knife isn't the issue, rather his action of openly carrying it.

Why don't we discuss open carried long guns on this forum? Because any sensible person can see that while permitted by law, it is abnormal behavior and draws bad reactions. Same thing with oorah, tactical, alabama toothpick, kbar, leather sheathed knives.
And it wasn't too long ago the very same things were said about open carrying a holstered pistol in plain sight.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

It is not what he carries, but how he acts. You misuse the relationship between "carries" and "action."

We do not totally forbid mention of long guns. Frequently referred to in the General Discussion forum (this one), just don't belabor the point......which is what you are doing by continuing to negate fixed blades.

BTW - my previous admonition to get back on topic should not be ignored.

solus

grape, i think this train was derailed with the first post on a thread called children and self-defense...

just my humble opinion ya know...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
grape, i think this train was derailed with the first post on a thread called children and self-defense...

just my humble opinion ya know...

ipse
Coulda been, shoulda been.............

Some people just don't play well with others.

PATRIOT88

Banned
The general reaction, based on last year ranged from no one caring/no one noticing to people freaking out at the sight of it (mainly adults)

I find it very odd that Ive gotten better reactions from police and children. Even having a kid COMPLIMENT the knife in walmart and oh, not to mention the woman that claimed to be former military that was working in that same walmart and was helping me find something to treat rust and good work gloves.

This year, no one really seems to care what I carry, whether they notice or not.

And yes, fixed blade is better. Especially with not every knife having a belt clip and ever mind the carrying concealed weapons statute, where, if you carry a blade even 3.1 inches or above, it must be open carried.

cabledawg

Back on topic of guns and kids............

I didn't start owning guns until recently. My wife had a .22 rifle for years, but being military we left it with her parents as we didn't know the legality of moving with a firearm. Now that there is an abundance of information on the 'net, it's been very easy to research state/federal laws and we've since started buying and carrying firearms.

Even at a young age, we taught our kids gun safety. Both the Mrs and I grew up knowing gun safety. I had air rifles and airsoft guns that very closely resembled real steel firearms and didn't want the kids to be complacent in the case they came across a real firearm. So even with my less than lethal guns, the four rules were taught and applied as early as 4-5 years of age. Right now, I have three teens and a 9 year old that all know how to properly handle a firearm and all have shot firearms at the range (my daughter was 7 when she shot her first rifle). Regardless of parental consent, I also teach my kid's friends gun safety because, well I have loaded guns in the house and they need to know what is and isn't safe handling.

Kids are inquisitive. Since I believe a loaded gun in a safe is as useless as an unloaded gun when seconds count, my stuff is loaded and unlocked. I can try to hide my firearms but it's just a matter of time before someone finds them. If I keep them hidden and never let the kids handle them or teach them about safety, guns become that thing of mystery which never ends well. So exposure combined with education has proven (at least in my household) to be the recipe for kids and guns to peacefully coexist under the same roof.