Thread: US Capitol Visitors Center on lockdown. Gunshots reported.

US Capitol Visitors Center on lockdown. Gunshots reported.

The U.S. Capitol Police are telling staff in the Capitol complex to shelter in place after a report of gunshots being fired in the Capitol Visitors Center.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/0...f-shots-fired/

https://news.google.com/news/search?...20US%20capitol
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-28-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

UPDATE!! Capitol cop shot. Shooter in custody.

Mar 28, 3:08 PM EDT. POLICE OFFICER SHOT AT U.S. CAPITOL, SHOOTER CAUGHT
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-28-15-08-46
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Who knows why .... we may never hear the actual facts.

Gunshots in DC? Ya don't say so....

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    That story is impossible. Guns are all but banned in DC and certainly in the Capitol building

The joys of raving liberal logic
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Mar 28, 3:08 PM EDT. POLICE OFFICER SHOT AT U.S. CAPITOL, SHOOTER CAUGHT
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-28-15-08-46
    NBC News says that the initial report of an officer shot was not correct and that the suspect was the person shot.
    http://www.nbc12.com/story/31581641/...after-shooting
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    A U.S. government official told Reuters that initial reports were that a suspect walked into the Visitor Center, pointed a gun at a police officer on duty and a shootout erupted.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sus...id=mailsignout

Believably factor ZERO.

Seems that it was an Airsoft gun. Didn't realize you could have a shoot out without both sides having real guns.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...-response.html

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    Seems that it was an Airsoft gun. Didn't realize you could have a shoot out without both sides having real guns.
    Normally I'd say an attempted suicide-by-cop. But in this case, it may be something a little more bizarre considering this from the report you linked to:

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNews

[The suspect] has a history with Capitol police. He was arrested in October following an outburst in the House chamber, and a stay-away order was issued, officials told Fox News.

A bench warrant was issued for his arrest after he was to return to court in November, but did not show up. In January, Dawson wrote the court a letter in which he claimed to be exempt from laws because he is a prophet of God.

So maybe his version of snake handling.

Also interesting is this tidbit from the article:

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNews
    A female bystander also sustained non-life-threatening injuries in Monday’s stand-off.
    Unless the nutcase suspect got off a couple of pellets, I'm guessing the female bystander was injured by the police response.

As for the "shootout", what do you expect from a media that knows so little of firearms that they use terms like "clips" and "assault rifle"?

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

He probably would have prompted the same police response had he whipped out a cell phone.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    He probably possibly would have prompted the same police response had he whipped out a cell phone.
    FIFY.

Most rational people would not grab for a hard, shiny object from concealment in a high-security environment.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    He probably would have prompted the same police response had he whipped out a cell phone.
    Probably not. I've been through capital security several times in the last decade and never had any of the police/security so much as blink as I emptied pockets and belt holsters of keys, wallets, cell phones, and multi-tools. I can't recall whether I carried my Gerber to the capital, but I know I carried it to all the other locations I visited in and around DC and never had any problems with it. Only TSA considers a pair of pliers with a couple of non-locking blades to be a security threat, it seems.

Of course, nothing in my comportment as I was emptying pockets for security would lead an experienced professional to assess me as a risk and so the odds of such a professional mistaking my phone for a gun is that much lower.

Blind accusations against police are no less offensive than blind accusations against lawful non-police gun carriers, racial minorities, or any other minority group.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Banned
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...-response.html
    Pew pew "uh-oh"

Still waiting for the video .. they must have video all over that place ... maybe they are photoshopping it now as we speak.