Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mutiple Defense Options

Banned

Mutiple Defense Options

I hope I am not the only one that considers multiple defense options. A handgun alone may not be appropriate for every situation or conflict. I cannot say how many, if any have similar backgrounds to me or are police or military trained.

Multiple Defense Options, even merely a handgun and something else can and will give you more options for different situations and can/will save your life.

Be it Knife, Defense Spray, Baton, Empty Hands and/or firearms. I am curious if any share my mentality in all around preparedness in case of a conflict situation.

Having 5 years experience in my field, I know that conflict situations do not always go in order from Level 1 to Level 4, nor is it possible to get away all the time. For example, a situation can quickly escalate from Level 1 to Level 3 or Level 4, giving you no time to retreat or give verbal commands/warnings. (Sometimes called ''Talking Down'')

Personally, I feel that empty hands should be a last ditch effort/line of defense, especially if you are armed and/or have an armed attacker to deal with. Reasons for this, being you subject yourself to serious and/or fatal injury if you go in with empty hand techniques; as well as subject yourself to your arms or defense options being possibly used against you. There is only one exception to consider going in empty handed first; that being pre-emptive action. Course, you have to be careful with that level of preemptive action, as you can be charged for assault or such if the person you took preemptive action against is not armed in any way.

Preemptive action is better done with arms; such as defense spray against a knife.

Never bring pepper spray to a knife fight. Where is that laughing my butt off, rolling on the floor smiley?
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT88 View Post

Preemptive action ...
    My only intended "preemptive action" is to maintain sufficient SA as to avoid or leave bad situations whenever possible. If that isn't possible, to seek a more defensible position.

I carry for self-DEFENSE. Period. No offensive actions, no pre-emptive actions.

I'm not a cop, a soldier, a spy, nor a super-hero. And I don't have any delusions about being any of the above.

Those who do honorable fulfill such roles have my gratitude. But I'm not one of them. And I remain very much aware of both the laws and morals that govern my use of force.

If I ever use lethal force, or even non-lethal force, against another person, it will be because there was no reasonable alternative to prevent imminent harm coming to innocent life or limb. I can't imagine anyone wanting to defend any other position should they find their own life and liberty on the line in court.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Banned
    Preemptive Action pretty much depends on opportunity. Obviously, not everyone has the same level of situational awareness as I do. Course, I do not doubt that some punk may be lucky enough to surprise me, even with my situational awareness and assault me with a knife. For that reason, I generally do not like people sneaking behind me or even being behind me, especially those I do not know.

The last person that snuck behind me, ended up getting his ribs and nose struck with my elbow and backhand. Course, he also had me in a chokehold. The two combined is an act of aggression.

i am sorry...but close combat is not an option whether it be 'fisticuffs, defensive spray, knife, baton, or the gilded sword of gilda' or even pulling my firearm in close quarters is out of the question.

SA, hasn't, to date, failed me.

again i am curious as to your continued seeking approval and acceptance to your perceived need to defend yourself instead of mastering the art of staying out of situations where you believe, real or perceived, you have to defend yourself with some kind of defensive device.

this coupled with your continued statements that there are idiots and so forth and yet not once have you stated ...so and so is a good person or this person did this for me or or...

both of these facets should be of significant concerns to you.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Preemptive Action pretty much depends on opportunity. Obviously, not everyone has the same level of situational awareness as I do. Course, I do not doubt that some punk may be lucky enough to surprise me, even with my situational awareness and assault me with a knife. For that reason, I generally do not like people sneaking behind me or even being behind me, especially those I do not know.

The last person that snuck behind me, ended up getting his ribs and nose struck with my elbow and backhand. Course, he also had me in a chokehold. The two combined is an act of aggression.
    and yet another admission of violence...

worrisome...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Solus, have you not seen MDA (Moms Demand Action) and their radical/extreme, yet illogical, fear based arguments? There are people like them almost everywhere.

Is there suddenly an issue about talking about defense and such? One conflict does not warrant my lack of prowess and ability to avoid conflicts.

I assume instead of being active in this forum, you would prefer I shut up and keep to myself? Instead of having peaceful inquiries/debates, should I just keep to myself, revert to my privacy and only post once or twice a month for events/meetings?

The last person that snuck behind me, ended up getting his ribs and nose struck with my elbow and backhand. Course, he also had me in a chokehold. The two combined is an act of aggression
    How does one single person manage to get into so much scat?
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    How does one single person manage to get into so much scat?
    Birds of a feather flock together, and we are known by the company we keep.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Chokehold was on duty/on a job years ago in Chicago or a suburb/outskirt of it.

Keep in mind that I am High Risk Security or was, depending on your view. Independent Private Security.

May resume my business, not sure about retiring. Doesn't seem to be much a need for such services in NC, being most real men/women carry their own defense options.

I carried several options when I was on the job. I still carry spray when I am running or biking and used it several times on dogs.

I carry a knife because it is a useful tool to have I normally use it several times a day.

I have been retired five years now and can't think of a situation where I was in the need of defending my self against a human attacker.

But then I lead a simple life in the woods. I don't go to bars or other high crime locations. I don't go looking for trouble

I do carry a firearm daily because I can.

During my normal work out I run, lift weights, do pushups, work out on a heavy bag and shoot some firearms at least once every week.

If trouble comes to me so be then I'll take care of the matter.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 03-29-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Banned
    Speaking of dogs, when I was in Lenoir, ended up having an encounter with a pitbull that was approaching me. Snap of my baton scared it off. Preemptive action does have a place. Its not about being violent or being worrisome, its about using training and situational awareness to ward off a threat, be it animal or human, before any attack ensues. Do you wait until a bear is on top of you or about to knock you down before you draw your handgun or bear spray and use it or do you take preemptive action beforehand, in defense of your life? Then again, that is an area of the law I am not sure about. Defense against dangerous game animals or any game animals. I wonder, if you get charged by a bear or cougar, and its out of season, and you are forced to use lethal force and shoot it before it gets to you, is it still a crime?

Where does your BB pistol rank in terms of defense options?

Banned
    NOT EVEN Answering that. I am tired of repeating myself again and again.

Solus, have you not seen MDA (Moms Demand Action) and their radical/extreme, yet illogical, fear based arguments? There are people like them almost everywhere.

Is there suddenly an issue about talking about defense and such? One conflict does not warrant my lack of prowess and ability to avoid conflicts.

I assume instead of being active in this forum, you would prefer I shut up and keep to myself? Instead of having peaceful inquiries/debates, should I just keep to myself, revert to my privacy and only post once or twice a month for events/meetings?
    sir, you are a self professed 28yo, who's continued posts are showing your apparent grasp on your reality is tenuous as well as your self proclaimed statements that those around you fail to meet your standards and are sub-par as well as you state you feel prosecuted by them to the point you are obsessed with the constant need to protect yourself.

i am sorry, but your illusions as well as your alleged explorations and encounters as well as the explanations of your prowess are extremely bothersome.

ipse

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    sir, you are a self professed 28yo, who's continued posts are showing your apparent grasp on your reality is tenuous as well as your self proclaimed statements that those around you fail to meet your standards and are sub-par as well as you state you feel prosecuted by them to the point you are obsessed with the constant need to protect yourself.

i am sorry, but your illusions as well as your alleged explorations and encounters as well as the explanations of your prowess are extremely bothersome.

ipse
    Could you be a little more poignant in your observation?

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Could you be a little more poignant in your observation?
    might but i am more scared then from mother's rhetoric.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 03-29-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Speaking of dogs, when I was in Lenoir, ended up having an encounter with a pitbull that was approaching me. Snap of my baton scared it off. Preemptive action does have a place. Its not about being violent or being worrisome, its about using training and situational awareness to ward off a threat, be it animal or human, before any attack ensues. Do you wait until a bear is on top of you or about to knock you down before you draw your handgun or bear spray and use it or do you take preemptive action beforehand, in defense of your life? Then again, that is an area of the law I am not sure about. Defense against dangerous game animals or any game animals. I wonder, if you get charged by a bear or cougar, and its out of season, and you are forced to use lethal force and shoot it before it gets to you, is it still a crime?
    Are you talking about bears or people, your knife, baton, whatever is not going to do jack against a bear. But at least with pepper spray we will be able to find you by the pepper in bear scat.

Ever hear of a guy named Rod Serling?
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Never bring pepper spray to a knife fight. Where is that laughing my butt off, rolling on the floor smiley?
    Here ya go...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Seems I receive more criticism than acceptance here. Just because my approach/views are slightly different?

Also, bear of course. I gave two specific examples. Bear Spray and Handguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sme9HSirf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmtsyDdtng

Try having an intelligent discussion about open carry on SigTalk.

You haven't been called Hitler yet......

Banned
    Sounds like sigtalk are strict concealed carriers and/or people that worry too much about public opinion/PR.

Sounds like SIGTALK shares James Yeagers opinion/view on OC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqRipxMTMg

Seems I receive more criticism than acceptance here. Just because my approach/views are slightly different? ...
    It seems that you are claiming to be wise far beyond your years. Being different is not a issue here on OCDO, some day you may learn this.

Now, I am going to state the truth as well as state that I am so very damn tired of these premature judging and assumptions online. This is partially why I do not bother revealing much of myself online anymore. I am 27, have had ALOT of experience and my tolerance/patience is very low to none as far as sensitized fear mongering idiots or as some call them, antis. ...
    Folks around here tend to post their views on topics based only on what they read on these forums...hint...hint...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Seems I receive more criticism than acceptance here. Just because my approach/views are slightly different?

Also, bear of course. I gave two specific examples. Bear Spray and Handguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sme9HSirf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmtsyDdtng
    Directing traffic in the buff is also different, but damn sure will not get acceptance with most sane people. People are sometimes committed because they are "different".

Just Sayin`
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Directing traffic in the buff is also different, but damn sure will not get acceptance with most sane people. People are sometimes committed because they are "different".

Just Sayin`
    Yeah, no one wants to see you doing that. On the otherhand, they might not run you over like what happens to the people in the reflective vests.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast