• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mutiple Defense Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT88

Banned
I hope I am not the only one that considers multiple defense options. A handgun alone may not be appropriate for every situation or conflict. I cannot say how many, if any have similar backgrounds to me or are police or military trained.

Multiple Defense Options, even merely a handgun and something else can and will give you more options for different situations and can/will save your life.

Be it Knife, Defense Spray, Baton, Empty Hands and/or firearms. I am curious if any share my mentality in all around preparedness in case of a conflict situation.

Having 5 years experience in my field, I know that conflict situations do not always go in order from Level 1 to Level 4, nor is it possible to get away all the time. For example, a situation can quickly escalate from Level 1 to Level 3 or Level 4, giving you no time to retreat or give verbal commands/warnings. (Sometimes called ''Talking Down'')

Personally, I feel that empty hands should be a last ditch effort/line of defense, especially if you are armed and/or have an armed attacker to deal with. Reasons for this, being you subject yourself to serious and/or fatal injury if you go in with empty hand techniques; as well as subject yourself to your arms or defense options being possibly used against you. There is only one exception to consider going in empty handed first; that being pre-emptive action. Course, you have to be careful with that level of preemptive action, as you can be charged for assault or such if the person you took preemptive action against is not armed in any way.

Preemptive action is better done with arms; such as defense spray against a knife.

utbagpiper

Banned

Preemptive action ...

My only intended "preemptive action" is to maintain sufficient SA as to avoid or leave bad situations whenever possible. If that isn't possible, to seek a more defensible position.

I carry for self-DEFENSE. Period. No offensive actions, no pre-emptive actions.

I'm not a cop, a soldier, a spy, nor a super-hero. And I don't have any delusions about being any of the above.

Those who do honorable fulfill such roles have my gratitude. But I'm not one of them. And I remain very much aware of both the laws and morals that govern my use of force.

If I ever use lethal force, or even non-lethal force, against another person, it will be because there was no reasonable alternative to prevent imminent harm coming to innocent life or limb. I can't imagine anyone wanting to defend any other position should they find their own life and liberty on the line in court.

PATRIOT88

Banned
Preemptive Action pretty much depends on opportunity. Obviously, not everyone has the same level of situational awareness as I do. Course, I do not doubt that some punk may be lucky enough to surprise me, even with my situational awareness and assault me with a knife. For that reason, I generally do not like people sneaking behind me or even being behind me, especially those I do not know.

The last person that snuck behind me, ended up getting his ribs and nose struck with my elbow and backhand. Course, he also had me in a chokehold. The two combined is an act of aggression.

solus

i am sorry...but close combat is not an option whether it be 'fisticuffs, defensive spray, knife, baton, or the gilded sword of gilda' or even pulling my firearm in close quarters is out of the question.

SA, hasn't, to date, failed me.

again i am curious as to your continued seeking approval and acceptance to your perceived need to defend yourself instead of mastering the art of staying out of situations where you believe, real or perceived, you have to defend yourself with some kind of defensive device.

this coupled with your continued statements that there are idiots and so forth and yet not once have you stated ...so and so is a good person or this person did this for me or or...

both of these facets should be of significant concerns to you.

ipse

solus

Preemptive Action pretty much depends on opportunity. Obviously, not everyone has the same level of situational awareness as I do. Course, I do not doubt that some punk may be lucky enough to surprise me, even with my situational awareness and assault me with a knife. For that reason, I generally do not like people sneaking behind me or even being behind me, especially those I do not know.

The last person that snuck behind me, ended up getting his ribs and nose struck with my elbow and backhand. Course, he also had me in a chokehold. The two combined is an act of aggression.

and yet another admission of violence...

worrisome...

ipse

PATRIOT88

Banned
Solus, have you not seen MDA (Moms Demand Action) and their radical/extreme, yet illogical, fear based arguments? There are people like them almost everywhere.

Is there suddenly an issue about talking about defense and such? One conflict does not warrant my lack of prowess and ability to avoid conflicts.

I assume instead of being active in this forum, you would prefer I shut up and keep to myself? Instead of having peaceful inquiries/debates, should I just keep to myself, revert to my privacy and only post once or twice a month for events/meetings?

WalkingWolf

The last person that snuck behind me, ended up getting his ribs and nose struck with my elbow and backhand. Course, he also had me in a chokehold. The two combined is an act of aggression

How does one single person manage to get into so much scat?

PATRIOT88

Banned
Chokehold was on duty/on a job years ago in Chicago or a suburb/outskirt of it.

Keep in mind that I am High Risk Security or was, depending on your view. Independent Private Security.

May resume my business, not sure about retiring. Doesn't seem to be much a need for such services in NC, being most real men/women carry their own defense options.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I carried several options when I was on the job. I still carry spray when I am running or biking and used it several times on dogs.

I carry a knife because it is a useful tool to have I normally use it several times a day.

I have been retired five years now and can't think of a situation where I was in the need of defending my self against a human attacker.

But then I lead a simple life in the woods. I don't go to bars or other high crime locations. I don't go looking for trouble

I do carry a firearm daily because I can.

During my normal work out I run, lift weights, do pushups, work out on a heavy bag and shoot some firearms at least once every week.

If trouble comes to me so be then I'll take care of the matter.

Last edited:

PATRIOT88

Banned
Speaking of dogs, when I was in Lenoir, ended up having an encounter with a pitbull that was approaching me. Snap of my baton scared it off. Preemptive action does have a place. Its not about being violent or being worrisome, its about using training and situational awareness to ward off a threat, be it animal or human, before any attack ensues. Do you wait until a bear is on top of you or about to knock you down before you draw your handgun or bear spray and use it or do you take preemptive action beforehand, in defense of your life? Then again, that is an area of the law I am not sure about. Defense against dangerous game animals or any game animals. I wonder, if you get charged by a bear or cougar, and its out of season, and you are forced to use lethal force and shoot it before it gets to you, is it still a crime?

solus

Solus, have you not seen MDA (Moms Demand Action) and their radical/extreme, yet illogical, fear based arguments? There are people like them almost everywhere.

Is there suddenly an issue about talking about defense and such? One conflict does not warrant my lack of prowess and ability to avoid conflicts.

I assume instead of being active in this forum, you would prefer I shut up and keep to myself? Instead of having peaceful inquiries/debates, should I just keep to myself, revert to my privacy and only post once or twice a month for events/meetings?

sir, you are a self professed 28yo, who's continued posts are showing your apparent grasp on your reality is tenuous as well as your self proclaimed statements that those around you fail to meet your standards and are sub-par as well as you state you feel prosecuted by them to the point you are obsessed with the constant need to protect yourself.

i am sorry, but your illusions as well as your alleged explorations and encounters as well as the explanations of your prowess are extremely bothersome.

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
sir, you are a self professed 28yo, who's continued posts are showing your apparent grasp on your reality is tenuous as well as your self proclaimed statements that those around you fail to meet your standards and are sub-par as well as you state you feel prosecuted by them to the point you are obsessed with the constant need to protect yourself.

i am sorry, but your illusions as well as your alleged explorations and encounters as well as the explanations of your prowess are extremely bothersome.

ipse
Could you be a little more poignant in your observation?

WalkingWolf

Speaking of dogs, when I was in Lenoir, ended up having an encounter with a pitbull that was approaching me. Snap of my baton scared it off. Preemptive action does have a place. Its not about being violent or being worrisome, its about using training and situational awareness to ward off a threat, be it animal or human, before any attack ensues. Do you wait until a bear is on top of you or about to knock you down before you draw your handgun or bear spray and use it or do you take preemptive action beforehand, in defense of your life? Then again, that is an area of the law I am not sure about. Defense against dangerous game animals or any game animals. I wonder, if you get charged by a bear or cougar, and its out of season, and you are forced to use lethal force and shoot it before it gets to you, is it still a crime?

Are you talking about bears or people, your knife, baton, whatever is not going to do jack against a bear. But at least with pepper spray we will be able to find you by the pepper in bear scat.

Ever hear of a guy named Rod Serling?

OC for ME

Never bring pepper spray to a knife fight. Where is that laughing my butt off, rolling on the floor smiley?
Here ya go...

36_12_6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.